IGNORED

Anyone use their iPhone as a golf GPS?

Note: This thread is 4997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw on the iTunes store that there are a few apps that allow you to map your course.

ViewTi
YouCaddie Golf GPS
AirVue
ProCreative Golf 09
GreenFinder
GolfSuite
GolfCard

Have any of you tried this?

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

i actually got a couple rangefinder apps the other day but i've yet to use them on the course. i spent some time reading the reviews on them and it seems that the vcaddy is the better one but none of them have great reviews. i'm not sure if people were just expecting a whole lot more out of them or what the deal is but just by navigating around the application i think it's alright.

edit: i hadn't seen view ti golf since it has just recently made it's way onto itunes. this one looks like it's the most promising for mapping out the course and not just telling distances to the middle of the green.
In the bag:
983k 9.5° YS-6 graphite shaft driver
F Speed LD Mens 3 Wood 15.5° Graphite Design Tour AD YS Stiff
2H 18° Baffler Pro with Fukijura Speeder Stiff Graphite Shaft
3H 20° Baffler Pro DCi irons 4-PW + S Rosa putter

I saw on the iTunes store that there are a few apps that allow you to map your course.

ONLY BUY THE AIRVUE!!!!

Best app EVER!!! Cost me $40 and is the best GPS I have ever had. I took back my Sky Caddie SG4 and saved myself $160. Seriously, it's awesome.

2nd edit: i'd get the view ti if you have a iphone 2.0 or i'd recommend the airvue if you have a 3g
In the bag:

I have a HTC phone and use freecaddie, and i have a friend who has an iphone with freecaddie and it really is very good!

This is a first hand review!

I have bought the $25 upgrade to turn it into freecaddie pro and its the best money i have spent on golf in ages. I have found the yardages to be EXTREMELY accurate and very very useful. With the free version you get front, middle and back only, still very very useful. With the pro version this is extended to all sorts of course features such as hazards and doglegs etc. As well as this there is a shot measure feature and a scorecard with fairways hit etc.

Not only is it a gps yardage device it is general stats software as well, when you upload your rounds of golf it keeps track of all of your key stats, very useful.

In terms of courses, if your course is in their database you merely download it to your phone for free. If your course is not on their, you can create it through their website and then it is free for everyone to use, this way they have an massive and expanding database of courses, all around the world. With regards the process, you use google maps and pplace markers on the key points such as the front edge of greens, and the front and end of hazards.

I would completely and utterly recommend getting it, and if you have any questions about it let me know, its really so much better than spending $100's on a separate gps device thhat does exactly the same thing.

Driver - 905r 9.5* UST Proforce V2 Stiff
3 Wood - 906f2 15* UST Proforce V2 Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 19* Aldila NV Stiff
Irons - MP67 3, 5-PW DG TT S300, 1/2 inch longer 2* Upright
Gap Wedge - SV 52* 10* Bounce DG TT S400Sand Wedge - Vokey Spin Milled 56* 10* Bounce DG TT Wedge FlexLob Wedge - ...

I have a HTC phone and use freecaddie, and i have a friend who has an iphone with freecaddie and it really is very good!

it's actually $19.99

In the bag:

Ooo, that Airvue app looks really cool.

I've been using TeeShot to keep track of score and statistics. It has some GPS capabilities, but just to measure how far your shot has gone. There's no map info as far as the course goes.

Too bad Airvue doesn't keep track of stats.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How is the battery holding up for a 4-5h long golf round?

I keep one of these in my golf bag - it would take care of any battery issues I think.

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/batteryblack.html

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I bought one of the apps mentioned above and, even with 3g, I was not happy with it compared to my high end golf GPS (SkyCaddie SG5). I think you could use the iphone apps and get by with them, but in my case the SG5 is so much quicker and easier to use on the course.

RC

One more vote for freecaddie. I used it on my BlackJack II when it first came out and still have it loaded on my phone now.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

The biggest limitation for me, is the quality of cellular phone signal on the golf course. If your signal is no good, your 'rangefinder' is out of commission.

Depending upon the hole, I may have 3 G or Edge or be completely out of any functional bars.

I do like Golf Card and MyCaddie

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

I think you're referring to the GPS navigation service. That's separate and not needed to use your golf gps software.

Do you all subscribe to the GPS from AT&T;? Isn't that like $10-20 a month?

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

I think you're referring to the GPS navigation service. That's separate and not needed to use your golf gps software.

Yeah that's what I meant because when I use my Motorola Q9H and Googlemap, it's not very accurate on where my position is. I can't imagine it being accurate on the course so I thought there was some other service that made it more accurate.

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 4997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!