IGNORED

Can't hit my driver

Note: This thread is 5415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Leave it in the bag.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

Go to the range and practice swinging free and easy with light grip pressure. Whatever you do, DO NOT hit the entire bucket with your driver. I also recommend hiring the services of a Pro.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're a 30 handicap, you shouldnt be hitting driver. I would start off with an iron or a hybrid off the tee until you get better. I would also play shorter courses or from shorter tee boxes to make the game more enjoyable until you get your swing in groove...god luck!

Listen, the driver is easy to hit, if you relax, and don't worry about having to bomb it away. Sure it takes practice, as all clubs do, but this one, due to distance carried, you have to be careful.

I do not recommend putting it down. Use it on the links, but don't worry about score. Hopefuly you can find a nice course rather inexpensive that you can play "practice rounds". That is what has worked for me.

As for practice routines at the range, what I do (I put it together from listening to Tiger and Vijay talk about their warmups) is I get a large bucket, about 100 or so, and start with an 8i to warm up..this is about 10 balls or so. Once I do this, I try to hit 2 good shots in a row before changing clubs. From here to a 6i, then a 4i. Then 3w, then Driver. I stay with the driver for 15 to 20 balls. If I can't hit aything, I quickly drop it, go to something I can hit to recover my swing, and then try again. Don't continue to swing and swing, if you are no changing anything.

Once I'm done with the driver, I come back down using the odd clubs. If time permits, I then hit the putting greens and chipping greens.

That's my routine. It works for me. I'd suggest you try something similar that suits you, but do not stop using your clubs!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Listen, the driver is easy to hit, if you relax, and don't worry about having to bomb it away. Sure it takes practice, as all clubs do, but this one, due to distance carried, you have to be careful.

I disagree but that's what makes these boards great. When I was a 26-30 handicap, I hit my 5wood, then 3wood until I felt comfortable and consistant enough to hit driver. I feel playing a couple years with a 3wood off the tee will give you a better appreciation for the game and better scores. To the the last poster, if you're hitting your driver so well, then why are you still a 26 handicap?

To the the last poster, if you're hitting your driver so well, then why are you still a 26 handicap?

You're a single-digit HC - congratulations. No need to insult the guy!

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

I don't recommend putting down the driver simply because it is a very important part of the game that you need to learn. That said you really need someone to asses what you are doing wrong in order for you to be able to fix it. Hogan always said the Drive was the most important shot in golf, and I agree with him. I would say get a 1 hour lesson with your local PGA pro and go from there.

Edit: I see you are in England, so I guess PGA wouldnt apply, but a local club pro should be able to lead you in the right direction.
Driver: FT-3 Fusion w/ YS-Power X-flex
3-wood: McHenry Metals 12 degree with UST comp X
2 iron: MP Hi-Fli 18 degree
Irons: MP-60 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52,58 degreePutter: Red X 35X3Ball: ONE Platinum

No one here can help you with your driver, especially when you don't give any details about what happens when you try to hit it...

Does it slice? Do you top it? Do you close your eyes when you swing and whiff it? Do you forget to take the headcover off?

My point is... there are common problems that people talk about on this forum relating to driving the ball, so ask some specific questions and you might get some help. Lessons are a good idea too. But asking people to fix your swing without actually describing your problem doesn't make sense.

Anybody know why my car won't start?

I disagree but that's what makes these boards great. When I was a 26-30 handicap, I hit my 5wood, then 3wood until I felt comfortable and consistant enough to hit driver. I feel playing a couple years with a 3wood off the tee will give you a better appreciation for the game and better scores.

For a single digit HC, I’m shocked that you put so much emphasis on the driver.

For your information Mr. 6.2, I have only been playing the game for six months, and the driver is the least of my problems. The OP did not ask for advise putting or on the short game, in which case I would not have posted, but since it was driving, I thought I could provide my $0.02. My 26 index is a result of a 2.5 putt average, and the learning curve of the short game, coupled with the lack of ability to read short distances, (which I have improved considerably) . As for the rude remark, mah…it doesn’t bother me. The beauty of these forums is to provide the advise you feel might help. At no time, did I claim that I am a Pro, nor that that my way is the only way of doing things. But in light of only playing for only 6 mo, and knocking 10 points off my index since I began, I thought I could share my approach to the game, but by all means, please do not hesitate to share your thoughts on the matter. Sincerely, “The last poster”

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Lessons is the best thing..but how do you hit the rest of your clubs? Same issues?

Also work on your grip and maybe try slowing down your swing speed, sometimes if you try to kill it, you endup with unfavorable results. My take is that your grip changes from time to time and that is one of the reasons you may have inconsistencies.

Practice: Setup >> grip >> swing.

If your shots are that sporadic, my guess is you are moving all over the place. Lessons are definitely a good idea, but you really should focus on tempo with the driver. One of the best tips my uncle ever gave me was to imagine there was a lake 100 yards in front of you and try to fly your drive into the lake. You will be amazed how far the ball will travel with such little effort. If you are trying to kill it, you will never make consistant contact.
Driver: FT-3 Fusion w/ YS-Power X-flex
3-wood: McHenry Metals 12 degree with UST comp X
2 iron: MP Hi-Fli 18 degree
Irons: MP-60 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52,58 degreePutter: Red X 35X3Ball: ONE Platinum

You're a single-digit HC - congratulations. No need to insult the guy!

I wasnt trying to insult the guy. I was just making a point as to why a 26 handicap feels a driver is so important to a 30+ handicap. I also saw and interview where Jack Nicklaus once say a higher handicap (Anyone 20+) would benefit more from hitting a 3wood off the tee instead of driver... The high-handicap golfer "The high-handicap golfer is either a beginner or has not had the time to hone his game to reach the mid-handicap level. The high-handicapper usually shoots close to or over 100. Woods You may not even want to have a driver in your bag. Instead, go with the 3-wood as your off-the-tee wood and add the easier-to-hit 7- and 9-woods. Wedges Up to 3 wedges-- pitching wedge, sand wedge, and either a lob wedge or approach wedge--should be carried "

swing easy. see if you can hit it 150 yards. Once you can do that and have a consistent ball flight start picking up the pace of the swing

Anybody know why my car won't start?

lol... you dont have the keys in the ignition?

to the OP... if you dont get lessons which id highly recommend... id go to the driving range or get a net for the backyard and take 1/2 swings until you get pretty consistent ball contact... dont even worry about distance... but take note of ball flight/direction... when you get them going relatively straight most of the time... step up to 3/4 swings... then repeat til you get to full swings... i had a hell of a time with the driver during my round today... a whole lotta duckhooks so i ended up pulling my trusty 3w to save the round from utter disaster... i dropped 6 shots before i got my ego in check at the turn... until you get a handle on the bigstick... go with a 'go to club' that you have confidence in
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

What I would suggest is make sure you have a consistent grip. Go to a full back swing and then turn and look at your club face. Make sure it isn't to open or to closed. If it is then adjust your grip untill it is nuetral. Resist the urge to swing hard intill your at the bottom of the swing. Other than that sometimes all we can do is have a pro look at it, most times they can get you hitting better in minutes.- Steve

Note: This thread is 5415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!