IGNORED

How long do you take to read your putt?

shades9323
Note: This thread is 5425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After I squat down(behind the ball), I take less than 5 seconds to read the putt. I put better when I use my initial impression and don't really think about it.

I try to read it as I am walking up. Greens I typically play have big mounds so they are difficult to always judge. From the time it is my turn, to when I putt, is about 1 minute. I walk around the hole, go from behind, line up ball, go back behind to confirm lined up well, couple practice strokes step in and gone.

Brian

I have to go mostly on instinct as well. If I look at a putt from both sides of the hole I'll often read a break completely opposite from one side to the other so, I've stopped doing it.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Like 10 seconds most of the time. Sometimes longer if I can't tell which way it is breaking. I usually squat down and look at it from behind my ball and imagine a path that the ball is going to travel on to go in the hole.

i tend to rely mostly on instinct as well; five seconds or less. i walk up and hit the thing, and 9 times out of 10, my instincts get it right.

A couple minutes, depends on if it's my turn to putt or not. I only take 20-30 seconds if I'm out. Usually I'll get a read from behind and line up the putt (line on ball), then walk around to get a feel for the speed and read the green again from opposite the hole. Then, walk back behind and check line one more time, then stand over it and trust I've got the right line.

If I'm out though, and it's a casual round, I just read it from behind and make sure my line is right.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

As long as possible. When other players are putting/chipping or whatever I'm usually behind my ball (assuming I am not in the way of anyone else) looking at my putt.

If I'm up first I don't take too long 10-20 seconds maybe depending on the particular putt.

After I squat down(behind the ball), I take less than 5 seconds to read the putt. I put better when I use my initial impression and don't really think about it.

I'm right there with you! No more than 10 sec on tough ones. I tend to see the lines clearly, but I struggle with power. Reading greens is not that difficulat for me, but telling the putter to do it, ahh well that whole 'nother stroy!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Depends on the round -- but I'll typically read the putt from behind the ball and behind the cup. Walking around the putt gives me a better idea of the distance also.

910 D3 - RIP X
910F 15* - RIP X
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 18* - Matrix Ozik
MP-68 3-PW - TTDG X100
Vokey Spin Milled 52* - Project X 6.0 Vokey Spin Milled 58* - Project X 6.0

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 

ProV1x

This has vexed me in the past. I feel like Im missing something when I read it too fast, but if I read it and get in and get out, that's usually right. So I would say maybe 15 to 20 seconds from first look to address.

What I hate, and what I need to stop doing, is I'll read it and line up then get over the ball and feel like the whole world is sloping off way harder than I thought and I adjust while over the ball. I always miss to whatever side I adjust toward so now I try to ignore the signals my body gives me when I'm over the ball.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

I usually only spend about 5 seconds reading a putt. I find that if I look at a putt too much, it causes me to second guess my initial read, which causes uncertainty and self doubt and causes me to not be 100% committed to the shot.
If I just give it a quick read and putt, the ball, it doesnt give me time for that self-doubt.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think I am in the "quicker the better" group, too . . . if I dwell on it too long, I screw it up.

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

more recently i read far too quickly
id like to say i spend a few moments on putts from 3' -8' but i dont lol

something i need to work on

I take ten seconds in casual rounds but can take a minute or more if im in a tourney.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I take ten seconds in casual rounds but can take a minute or more if im in a tourney.

A minute or more? I can't imagine what would run through my mind if I took that long.

A couple minutes, depends on if it's my turn to putt or not. I only take 20-30 seconds if I'm out. Usually I'll get a read from behind and line up the putt (line on ball), then walk around to get a feel for the speed and read the green again from opposite the hole. Then, walk back behind and check line one more time, then stand over it and trust I've got the right line.

As long as possible. When other players are putting/chipping or whatever I'm usually behind my ball (assuming I am not in the way of anyone else) looking at my putt.

I'm pretty much the same. I used to strickly read the putt from behind but now if I'm not out and there's time I like to see the putt from one side of the line which has helped my distance and ability to read breaks

In my BagBoy Griplok bag
Driver: Diablo 9 degree stiff graphite
3 Wood: Diablo 15 degree stiff graphite
Hybrid: Hb5 3 stiff graphite
Irons: FG Tour V2 stiff steel  S W: Harmonized 55 degree

Putter: Odyssey Teron

Ball: E6

GPS: UPro

I don't take long. I only ever look at it from the other side of the cup if I really can't see any break and I'm sure it's there. I'll usually line my putts up while others are putting or chipping so I'm ready to just fire away when it's my turn to go. I play with one guy who hardly bothers at all and just hits it and another guy who takes forever and steps back at least once per putt to check his line again, I fall in the middle somewhere.

I think your first read is your best read but more importantly don't stand over the putt long enough to let doubt creep in.

Note: This thread is 5425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!