IGNORED

Long Iron troubles

Note: This thread is 5428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been happy with my progression so far this year - short irons are smooth, great loft, highly accurate. Hybrids are a thing of beauty (God I love those things!) and the Driver is coming around.

But for some reason I cannot hit two consecutive good shots (not great, or not even good - can barely hit my 5 iron longer than my 9) with any iron longer than my 7 (6, 5 and 4).

I'm pretty sure it's my mental preparation and how I approach hitting the shot, but I can't bring myself around to have the same routine when hitting my 5 as when I'm hitting my 9.

Any help or tips on what I can do?

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I have problems from time to time with my longer irons, heres what helps me.

I forsome reason when I get a 3-5 in my hands have the tendency to try and swing it as hard as I can. So I back off 1 clubs and make a nice easy swing.

Make sure you are trying to lift the ball, the club will do it for you.

try a bit wider swing path like you would with a driver or hybrid.

biggest thing for me is SLOW DOWN THE BACK SWING.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Amazing how that works with any of my clubs. Why can't I do it all the time?

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree that you may be trying to swing too hard, but I disagree on trying to lift the ball in the air. "Trying to lift the ball" and "letting the club do the work" is a contradiction. With the irons, you should be making a descending blow on the ball. This is more obvious with a short iron b/c the ball is farther back in the stance, but less so with a 3,4, or 5 iron.

Holding a lower lofted club on a course is sometimes intimidating, because you can't visualize the ball getting into the air and traveling the appropriate distance. I think that you should concentrate on having a consistent swing and making good contact with the ball. Try choking down on the club at first. This will help you to mentally prepare yourself as if you were holding a 7 iron.

Hit a ball with a stick...how hard can it be?

I'm sorry that was a typo, it should have been "make sure you are 'not' trying to lift the ball in the air"

I keep my ball in the same place in my stance for Irons, unless I'm trying to hit a particular shot. My ball set up is usually 1 ball left of center. Hybrid 2-3 balls, driver just off the heel.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I am having the same problem, except with my irons in general. Although, what really weirds me out is I have no problems once so ever with my driver or my fairway woods. I am extremely confident in my woods. I am not a very good golfer, actually, I am not good at all. However, when I pick the driver up out of my bag I am very confident I am going to put a solid swing on the ball and either be on the fairway or just a bit off the fringe. Now, when I pick up ANY of my irons, I am thinking, "Where the hells this one going to go?". I am sure thats part of my problem, any advice guys?

I didn't mean to impose on your thread if I did, I am not able to start one myself just yet.

Thanks in advance..

Hello,

Today I figured out a tip that I hope it helps many people having problems
hitting long irons.

I also have been researching on long irons, but even some posters contradict others. I will tell you what worked for me. The moment I grab a 3-5
iron, my mind automatically thought about "long iron" which translated to
a dangerously forced swing with faster tempo (unconsciously). This
also results in trying to hit a long iron as if it were a wood or a driver,
ending up with some toppers or even some too clean shots, but not solid.

Nevertheless, I remember when I was a kid that I would be analytical on
my teacher and remember he did a really smooth swing and hit really
good long iron shots, without any trouble or any obvious attempt
to swing faster.

By realizing that my short irons are really good I changed my approach
to my problem. I grabbed a 5 iron, and pretended to play it as if it
were a 6 or 7 iron, even choking on the grip a little bit to keep a similar
swing as if it were a 6 or 7 iron, standing closer to the ball.

All the sudden I started hitting really good straight and solid 5 irons which made me realize that my problem had been trying to unconsciously make a too shallow swing, due to the lenght, lie of the long irons, and psychologically
stored pre-thought of another failed shot. This last can be translated
into a lack of confidence.

Then I gradually started adjusting back on my grip and choking to hold
the club back to normal, to gain back just a little bit of distance due
to the added club radius -> head speed. This along with playing the
ball less centered toward my left heel (unlike a short iron).

As some posters have mentioned, the loft of the club will do its own
job and there is no need to force the swing. The increased head speed will be automatic due to the lenght of the club and its loft.

Try this tip and please let me know if it works for anyone -

a) Start with a 5 iron, choke on it and pretend to play it like the closest club that you are confident with (eg: 7 iron). This results into a
less shallow swing plane.

b) After hitting some solid shots, then start moving back your grip on
your club as you feel appropriate, and gradually adjust your swing plane to where you hit consistent 5 irons.

c) Follow the same approach with your 4 and 3 irons, and adjust your
ball position (towards your left heel) - less centered as a short iron.

Good luck !

I agree with the approach and also believe that the psychology plays a big role. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it!

Agree wholeheartedly with this statement. When I was starting out and playing with some of the clubs in my Dad's bag, I naturally pulled out the 3 iron first (Mario Golf had taught me that it was the longest iron). Nobody had ever told me that it was the hardest to hit, so I just hit that thing for the next week or so until I was consistently putting it out there 150, 160 (I was 13 at the time). I couldn't hit short irons for the life of me, but I could wreck with a 3 iron.

Long story short, hitting long irons is only difficult for two related reasons: a lack of experience with the club, and the lack of confidence that breeds. Just go to the range and hit with your long irons until they work. The techniques suggested by riquet are an excellent start. You shouldn't change anything from your normal swing, except moving the ball forward in your stance (of course). You will naturally take care of the other changes you need to make (swing plane, club speed, etc.) through practice.

how tall are you? im a shorter fella 5'6 and i struggle with long irons because they are longer. I went to a lesson and was told my swing is fine for the most part but i need to get my clubs fit.

I am having the same problem, except with my irons in general. Although, what really weirds me out is I have no problems once so ever with my driver or my fairway woods. I am extremely confident in my woods. I am not a very good golfer, actually, I am not good at all. However, when I pick the driver up out of my bag I am very confident I am going to put a solid swing on the ball and either be on the fairway or just a bit off the fringe. Now, when I pick up ANY of my irons, I am thinking, "Where the hells this one going to go?". I am sure thats part of my problem, any advice guys?

that's because you're not hitting down on the ball. if you're hitting with a descending blow then your body must follow and end up in the proper position.

Flatten out your back swing. I have recently been crushing all of my longer irons just from this simple 'fix'. Slow your swing tempo down and take the club back lower and a bit to the inside. Make a conscious effort to do so and I promise you will see SOME amount of improvement. IMHO, most people can't hit a long iron because they are coming in too steep to the ball at impact. If you will try to swing 'around' your body more instead of 'up and down' it will help. Don't worry about 'hitting down' on to the golf ball, you are going to do that inevitably. Hope that made sense and helps. Good Luck!!

In the bizzag...

Driver--TaylorMade Burner 9.5*
3W--TaylorMade Burner 15*
Hybrid--TaylorMade Burner Rescue 19*Irons--Maltby KE4 Tour(4-PW)Wedges--Cleveland CG14(52,56,60)Putter--Wilson CI1Ball--Nike One Platinum

Note: This thread is 5428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!