IGNORED

Honking at golfers

microcrayfish
Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm about to tee off on a par 5 yesterday and two cars drive by on the road next to the hole tooting their horns, it didn't put me off but what idiots. I don't get why people do this. The odds that you're actually going to catch someone at the point in their swing when they can't back off are pretty slim but I guess it makes some people feel big that they might put someone off their swing.

The funny thing is that the hole they did it on runs parallel to the road, with no trees or anything else to stop balls hitting cars should anyone happen to slice their tee shot because they were put off by someone tooting their horn . I almost aimed at the second car, maybe next time.

I'm going to really doubt you're going to have time to aim, then hit the ball and hit the car. But why do you care if it doesn't throw you off?

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

There's a similar situation on my course, where there's two holes paralleling the road the whole way. Pretty much every time I'm near or on that hole some idiot honks his horn and shouts out the window. primitive behavior. As with your course, it's quite easy to hit on to the road and I have done so (though not on purpose). Three in a row in fact. One high gradual hook after hook. maybe my club was telling me something

The road thankfully is not highly travelled, so it's easy to let cars pass and then take a swing in peace.

If your honkers are like our honkers, its usually guys between the teens and early 20's who probably know just enough about golf to know that loud noises can be distracting.

Either that or they're trying to see who can do the best Tiger Woods impression--full downswing stopping midway before impact. Now THAT is some impressive stuff!

Either way, they're just goofballs who don't know any better and think they're funny. I wouldn't waste the golf ball trying to hit 'em personally! LOL

If your honkers are like our honkers, its usually guys between the teens and early 20's who probably know just enough about golf to know that loud noises can be distracting.

Marine Corps Base Quantico, VA- Holes 1 & 2 run parallel to the main road through the base. You wanna talk about a high density of the honkers you describe try golfing there! Young Marines are the awesomest people in the world but irreverent as hell!

As far as hitting cars on the road, I had to floor it to not be hit by a tee shot on the 2nd. Yeah, I was watching the tee instead of the road, but (don't lie)so would you!

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

• Administrator
Our driving range (at Lake View) is right next to the road. People will honk as they drive by there. Do they think they're the first to think of it? Who cares if you hit a range ball badly because someone honks? You just get another one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I laughed when I read the thread title.... that's gotta tell you something.

Honestly, the yelling is what I don't care for. I think honking is funny. Brings back memories of high school with my brother (we grew up in a neighborhood with a course through it... so there are plenty of opportunities.

Honestly, most golfers.... it doesn't look like it even fazes them. It's only funny on that one golfer that goes completely berserk from shock.

When someone does it to me, I laugh...... either way, I think it's funny.

Not sure if I've ever personally done it though........

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I'm going to really doubt you're going to have time to aim, then hit the ball and hit the car. But why do you care if it doesn't throw you off?

You're right it'd be tough to hit the car, especially considering I can't even hit a fairway most of the time. I guess it's more the issue of

if it happened when I was at a point when I couldn't stop my swing I'd be pissed off.
As far as hitting cars on the road, I had to floor it to not be hit by a tee shot on the 2nd. Yeah, I was watching the tee instead of the road, but (don't lie)so would you!

Speaking of watching for balls while you're driving, the drive way up to the clubhouse at my home club runs right between the 1st and 10th holes which can be quite harrowing when you're about halfway up the drive and your average slicing hacker is on the tee! I definitely keep an eye out.

Gotta block that out. Use it as an opportunity to test your focus.-that's the golfer in me's answer...the kid-at-heart part of me says that jackassery is always fun. I can't count how many times I have been hit by a mid-swing acorn, tee, car keys, etc. Or a cheerful whisper of "water" in my transition from my "friends", lol. If something like that pulls you out of your groove, you probably weren't in one. Expect the unexpec-WhOOOOOOOOOOOOOnnK!!!!

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

find the "jackass" airhorn video on YouTube. It's simply a classic and might help relieve your anger on this matter.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Ok, I'll bite.

Played a course in Da Bronx- near Yankee stadium (moshulu). On the tee, I was ready. 60% weight on rear foot. Spine angled away from target. Ball- perfect hight. Driver: promised accuracy and distance.

< POW POW POW>. Gun fire nearby.

If there was any excuse for a mulligan, shots fired would be THE premier reason.

This was a couple of years ago. Don't know what it was about, but couple a weeks later- I over heard someone talking with the Starter about a murder/suicide in the parking lot.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!