IGNORED

Are Staff bags pretentious??

Note: This thread is 3716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pretentious or not - i am buying one if it fits in the trunk of my car - which i am not sure it will.

Get a bigger car. Got to have priorities right.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

... I personally have a Nike Stand Bag that I absolutely adore but my sister knowing that I really like the game of golf and she saw one of the pros on TV having a Staff Bag and ordered me one and now I just got it. Yes she even put my name on it, but does not make me a poser if I use a present? No.. I will use it because it came from my sister and she spent her hard money on it...

This was a thoughtful response.  I have been guilty of passing judgment on some players with staff bags and never thought about the fact that it may have been a gift from a loved one.  I will try to be less judgmental in the future and for that, thanks.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can't say I pay attention to people's bags. Use what you like. Definitely falls into the who cares category in the same way I don't wonder if a guy wearing cowboy boots is really a cowboy.

Dave :-)

• 2 weeks later...

they may be but...what i have in my bag or my bag itself shouldn't bother people.

i have one, with my name, with a tour strap...pretentious or not i love the thing

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Mine came in this week and it should not piss off my riding partner too much, it is no wider than my cart bag was although it might be if I find enough stuff to fill it up with. It is a bit deeper though and just fits in my trunk. The real test will be tomorrow on whether or not it will fit on the cart with most of the pockets sticking out, it is quite a bit deeper than the cart bag was.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I've got a Wilson staff bag. I only break it out on the rare occasion that I use a cart. It's very nice though, lots of space to put everything.

Funny how this thread (and a few other similar ones) get resurrected for a few days every so often. I'm still in the "do what you want" camp. I've still got a staff bag that I won in a contest a few years ago, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used it. I didn't even go to it when my last stand bag broke.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 4 weeks later...

Staff bags are great, but I personally can't find a practical use for them. I instead opted for the Sun Mountain cart bag. It gives me plenty of storage without being quite as bulky as the staff bags. The Titleist Mid-Size bag seems really nice though.

As far as being pretentious, who cares. Use what you like. It's no more pretentious than the guy that buys the latest hyped irons or drivers but still can't hit the ball. If that's what they like then go for it. I don't go to the golf course to judge people whether it be their bag, clubs, game, whatever.

***Just realized I bumped this from a month ago... Oh well.

Yes.  That's why they've changed the name to 'cart bags.'

Pretty soon 'cart bags' will become pretentious and they'll change the name again.  Something like Douche Bag.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Yes.  That's why they've changed the name to 'cart bags.'

Pretty soon 'cart bags' will become pretentious and they'll change the name again.  Something like Douche Bag.

dave

Those aren't at all the same thing.  Cart bags are precisely that ... bags that are good for use on carts.  The main feature, I believe is that they don't have any pockets on the bag side because you can't reach that side when its on a cart.  They frequently have a separate putter well on the outside as well.

Staff bags are just big bags with company names on them, originally intended for "staff" members of the company.

I can say I myself have a staff bag. it was a gift from my wife a few years back with my name on it. it is still next to the fire place in my man cave. the same place i put it 12/25/2011! I think there really cool and nice to have as a collector piece, but i just have a simple cart bag that i can walk or ride with.

Driver: R11s - 3wood: RBZ - MIzuno 2 iron - rons: taylormade burner 2.0 4-pw - 63 degree: nike VR Forged - 52 Degree: nike VR Forged - 60 degree: callaway - Putter: odyssey white ice 2 ball I'm going to qualify for the U.S. Open and kick your boyfriend's ass. Whatever you think of me, you should know he hates old people, children, and dogs. Roy McAvoy.

If you want the look of a staff bag and the practicality go with this: I love mine. It's the ping dlx, has all the practicality you want for a cart bag and more. 14 way dividers and putter well. I just think the staff bags are wayyyy too huge.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I don't necessarily think that staff bags are pretentious. I tend to try and not make judgments on golfers based on equipment, apparel, etc. That being said I can't help but think it's a little ridiculous when someone is on the first tee pulling a club from a full staff bag and slicing OB. Now, if they pull a club and pipe one down the gut, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

But in reality whatever someone wants to buy/play is their business and it has no affect on me. I wouldn't use a staff bag because I only walk and it would be severely impractical. I do like the look of them though and would put one in my office/den/family room.

It is a bag… Nothing more. What's more interesting is the story behind the bag

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

If you want the look of a staff bag and the practicality go with this: I love mine.

It's the ping dlx, has all the practicality you want for a cart bag and more. 14 way dividers and putter well. I just think the staff bags are wayyyy too huge.

Good looking bag.  Looks of a staff bag and the utility of a cart bag.  Nice.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3-500.00 buys a lot of lessons...

3-500 also buys a nice staff bag, or a nice putter or a nice driver or maybe some decent irons

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

3-500 also buys a nice staff bag, or a nice putter or a nice driver or maybe some decent irons

Or food, water, gum, etc...Guess I would rather be a decent striker of the ball then look good sitting on my cart.  Staff bags arent pretentiousm there just isnt any need for a bag the big and expensive...

Or food, water, gum, etc...Guess I would rather be a decent striker of the ball then look good sitting on my cart.

I'm confused.

Assuming you can afford it, why would one preclude the other?

there just isnt any need for a bag the big and expensive...

Perhaps not for you or me, but I'm not in a position to determine what someone else may want, or need though.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!