IGNORED

Course drinkers only, others need not apply.

Uthinkso
Note: This thread is 3757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to drink while I played and then realized how much the back nine suffered because of it.  You would think that would stop me, but it didn't.  Then I started walking more this last year due to my home course having a lot of days being cart path only due to the wet weather we had.  My stand bag doesn't have the lined cooler my cart bag does, so I would pass on the beer.  I can't stand beer that isn't cold!  Then I got bit by the bug and obsessed with bringing my handicap down.  Now there are days I'll go out and not even hit the 19th hole on the way out.  This probably saves me $30 a round or so which is good too!

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

Irons 4-PW::titleist:- AP2 712

Wedges:    :vokey:- 52, 56, 60

Putter:       :cameron:- Studio Select 1.5

Ball:          :titleist:- Pro V1x

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Rusty2228" url="/t/25214/course-drinkers-only-others-need-not-apply/30#post_348916"]Golf Digest published results a couple of years on drinking on the course, they had three groups of High, Mid, and low cap golfers. One group drank a lot, one group drank none, and one group drank a couple. I searched for the results but could not find so I will summarize... For the high and mid cap golfers the group that scored the best was the 'couple' of drinks. the reason being that it lowered inhibitions decreasing negative thoughts without hindering coordination or 'impairing' judgement. For the low cappers the no drink group did the best, obviously because they are at a different starting point. For me personally I see no difference between none and a few. However, and this was an anomaly, my best round was drinking 'a lot.' (i.e. more than 12) It was my buddy's bachelor party and I reasoned that if I hit a good shot, I could have more time to flag down the cart girl.

I don't really want to burst anyone's bubble but I will never believe that anyone played good golf while really drinking.. Never mind trusting that they kept track if their shots correctly...[/quote] I think 2 beers/drinks helps relax antagonistic muscles. Russian archers used a teaspoon of Vodka to improve their aim, until the Olympic commitee found out. You're right about the tracking/finding part though. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I pace myself to one beer per 3 holes of play...We often play a game called Fireball on top of it lol...it goes something like this...three putt=shot, triple bogey=shot, OB tee shot=shot, everyone pars the hole=everyone takes a shot, if you birdie and no one else does=the other 3 players take a shot...

Goodness, what's the penalty for a 4 putt?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Course drinkers only, trying to stay on topic what's the best golf drinking game anyone had played

I've never played one but the guys at the course a few months ago were talking about what their strategy would be if required to drink 18 beers during the round.

A beer a hole.

Or.

Save most of them until the last few holes.

One guy said that was a normal round for him anyway.

Goodness, what's the penalty for a 4 putt?

lol fortunately we haven't had that one come up yet(most of us are scratch or close), you would probably have to shotgun a beer after the fireball shot before you tee off one the next hole...bahahaha

Golf Digest published results a couple of years on drinking on the course, they had three groups of High, Mid, and low cap golfers. One group drank a lot, one group drank none, and one group drank a couple. I searched for the results but could not find so I will summarize...

For the high and mid cap golfers the group that scored the best was the 'couple' of drinks. the reason being that it lowered inhibitions decreasing negative thoughts without hindering coordination or 'impairing' judgement. For the low cappers the no drink group did the best, obviously because they are at a different starting point.

For me personally I see no difference between none and a few. However, and this was an anomaly, my best round was drinking 'a lot.' (i.e. more than 12) It was my buddy's bachelor party and I reasoned that if I hit a good shot, I could have more time to flag down the cart girl.

I did a search but couldn't find the above mentioned article myself. I'd be interested in reading the full thing, anyone have the link?

Course drinkers only, trying to stay on topic what's the best golf drinking game anyone had played

Even 72, not real proud of it but I have a friend that swears I start getting better as the drinks go down and he gets worse, however he liked smoking pot and I can't even breathe the smoke from that stuff and it gets me all wacked out.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I find I only drink beer when I'm riding in a cart and then I don't drink unless it's a scramble or my round has gone sideways.

Unfortunately for me though, most golf courses don't carry good beer. :-(

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I find I only drink beer when I'm riding in a cart and then I don't drink unless it's a scramble or my round has gone sideways.

Unfortunately for me though, most golf courses don't carry good beer.

True, but on cold days a coffee and Bailey's go well together to warm things up (Only when I am playing for fun that is. . .).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'll have a beer or two if I'm 1) riding the cart, 2) playing with friends only and 3) no money is on the line. It's not that I really think the beer does anything to me. It's more about setting the right tone.

True, but on cold days a coffee and Bailey's go well together to warm things up (Only when I am playing for fun that is. . .).

Or a couple of shots of the Crown Royal I carry in my bag for emergency purposes. :beer:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I personally love one shot of baileys and one shot of Irish whiskey) this last year I started using the big Bubba mug 32oz and it fit perfectly in the cart cooler and stays warm for the whole nine. in the winter of course...a little black berry brandy once in a while is pretty tasty too...I once heard the reason we play 18 holes is because that"s how many holes the Scot's could play before they finished what they had in the flask...does anyone know if that's bull or is there some truth to it?

It is important that I know my goals for the round before heading to the course. Morning rounds are always sober rounds, and also are typically my most focused rounds. I don't spend a whole lot of time yapping with my partners or anything, I'm there to go low. I don't avoid talking or anything like that, we chat it up, but it's a serious round in my eyes. Afternoon rounds on the other hand often times begin with me packing a decent cooler consisting of some beers and maybe a little Crown if it's not too hot out. Both are enjoyable in their own way, but my play definitely seems to suffer on the rounds I drink. However, I tend to lower my standards a bit for those rounds so I still have a really good time.

I personally love one shot of baileys and one shot of Irish whiskey) this last year I started using the big Bubba mug 32oz and it fit perfectly in the cart cooler and stays warm for the whole nine. in the winter of course...a little black berry brandy once in a while is pretty tasty too...I once heard the reason we play 18 holes is because that"s how many holes the Scot's could play before they finished what they had in the flask...does anyone know if that's bull or is there some truth to it?

I heard the same, but . . . http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/eighteen_hole_round.htm

The flask theory is more likely the real story. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I heard the same, but . . . http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/eighteen_hole_round.htm

The flask theory is more likely the real storY

interesting tid bit there, lol I think the flask theory is much more romantic sounding too...

Note: This thread is 3757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!