IGNORED

This may sound like a dumb question...

New2TheGame
Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Its like a wood but typically has a steel shaft.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

they actually usually have graphite shafts, just shorter than woods...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They're like a small wood head with an iron-type loft on an iron-length shaft. Meant to replace long irons by giving similar length/loft but are easier to hit.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

they actually usually have graphite shafts, just shorter than woods...

Hmmmm, I guess I've only seen the steel shafted hybrids. I guess I just need to take a closer look next time.

In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

i havent seen a steel shafted hybrid in awhile. i had one (a Callaway FT Fusion with a Rifle steel shaft), but they most often come with graphite shafts

i havent seen a steel shafted hybrid in awhile. i had one (a Callaway FT Fusion with a Rifle steel shaft), but they most often come with graphite shafts

I stand corrected!

Though the hybrid I carry has a steel shaft

ya, i do see some with steel, very true

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi New2 -

Lemme see if I can give a little more detail than some of the responses so far....

A hybrid club is basically a cross between an iron and a wood, the idea being to keep the best qualities of each while reducing the negatives. I recall an article somewhere saying that it's generally the rule that the majority of recreational golfers have trouble hitting a club with less than 24 degrees of loft, and more than 38 inches of shaft length.

Long irons (5 and under, generally) have shorter shafts - a positive - but smaller mass in the heads that can magnify mistakes if mis-hit.

Fairway woods have larger heads which help the ball get up, and aren't as easily twisted by light rough, etc. However they have shafts that are too long for most to control well.

Clubmakers eventually did the obvious. They made a head that was more forgiving than a traditional iron head, but not quite as massive as a fairway wood. And they put it on a shaft that was a a little longer than an iron shaft of the same number, but shorter than a wood shaft. The result was a "hybrid": more forgiving than classic irons (lower center of gravity, more mass) and easier to swing than fairway woods (slightly shorter shaft).

What are they used for? Almost anything from tee shots to chipping. They are very, very versatile.

Not everybody likes them - as anything else in the world - but a lot of people who have trouble with long irons and/or fairway woods swear by them. If you are a good iron or wood player you may not want to change just for change's sake. But otherwise, they might be worth a look.

Good luck, and welcome back to the fold

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I'm a bit of a duffer and need every bit of forgiveness that I can get. I treated myself to a set of hybrid irons about 3 months after I started. They made a big difference to my game. Some of it may be psychological however being that I ended up in the rough a lot they really helped. I'm sure that I have sacrificed distance however being that I'm not that good I'm willing to take that chance.
Definitely worth looking at, even if you just get a 3. 4 or 5

I use my hybrid for little bump 'n run chips. Hybrids have GREAT roll from the fringe, or a little farther out. And also, my 4h has a steel shaft :)

I look at hybrid clubs as between an wood and iron and easy to hit out of rough and hit off fairways because the lower center of gravity and low weight distribution.

The result is a high flying shot that lands softly on the green.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

A mix between a longer iron and fairway wood. I use mine alot for chipping from the fringe. Hybrids are easy to hit almost anywhere, rough or fairway, tee shots.
I also have 2 steel shafted hybrids and one graphite.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Hi there...new to the game and the board. I recently bought a Mizuno iron set with a 3H and 4H. But when i compared it to my Callaway Heavenwood 5H the shafts seem to be shorter. The 3H is 21*, 4H is 24* and the 5H has a 26* loft.

Theoretically shouldn't I be hitting the 3H further than the 5H. But that is not the case. The shaft of 5H is about 2" longer than the 3H.

Any thoughts?

Hi there...new to the game and the board. I recently bought a Mizuno iron set with a 3H and 4H. But when i compared it to my Callaway Heavenwood 5H the shafts seem to be shorter. The 3H is 21*, 4H is 24* and the 5H has a 26* loft.

Where did you get these clubs?

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

Ha that same scenario happened with my heavenwood hybrids. My 5 hybrid goes almost as far as my 2 hybrid when I hit it well. I really don't know why, and the 2 hybrid's shaft is longer. But I play with it, and I think it helps because the 5 hybrid gets up in the air faster.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!