IGNORED

Shin splints - what to do?

blcorn80
Note: This thread is 4415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been fighting shin splints for the entire season this year. I carry my bag every time I play (unless it's in an outing), and the course I play isn't too hilly, but there are a couple of smallish hills I have to navigate. It's only in my left leg, which makes me think that it might be the twisting and torque applied during the swing more than the walking.

Anyone have experience with this problem before? What did you do to get through it? If I take about 3 Advil before the round it usually knocks the pain down to a manageable level, but I am just too stubborn to stop playing. I've started using ice and an ACE bandage within the past few days, so we'll see how that goes.
My Bag:
Driver: FT-i (i-Mix version) - 10* w/ UST Proforce V2 (stiff)
5-Wood: RPM Redline
Hybrid: Baffler 23*
Irons: R7 Draw 5-PWGap Wedge: 52* Sand Wedge: 56* CG10Lob Wedge: 60.04 VokeyPutter: White Hot Rossie putterBall: TP Red

Suffer..its about all you can do until it goes away on its own. lol. Perhaps a heat wrap would help? Ive been using keniso tape on my shoulder, maybe there is a wrap for shin splints?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

My understanding of shin splints is that it is basically an inflammed tendon, so a heat wrap might actually make it worse.

I'm sure taking two or three weeks off of golf would probably help, but who wants to do that???
My Bag:
Irons: R7 Draw 5-PWGap Wedge: 52* Sand Wedge: 56* CG10Lob Wedge: 60.04 VokeyPutter: White Hot Rossie putterBall: TP Red

My understanding of shin splints is that it is basically an inflammed tendon, so a heat wrap might actually make it worse.

You dont want to do that. Piss on that shin!

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Are you in high school? Shin splints normally affect teens due to a muscle imbalance in the calves.

If you're really motivated to get rid of them, do a ton of toe raises to build up the muscle that runs down the front of your shin. Icing should help the inflammation.
Driver: ZL 10.5⁰
Fairway: Burner 15⁰/19⁰
Irons: MP-67
Wedges: 1018 52⁰/56⁰/60⁰
Putter: Byron Morgan 007xBall: Pro V1x

Well, I teach high school if that helps.

I'll try the toe raises, though. Anything to get my leg to stop feeling like it's being crushed.

My Bag:

I fight it in my left leg as well. I always walk when I play, but on the occassion that I did try to ride it made it worse as the muscles never really got a chance to loosen up. If mine starts hurting during a round, it will last about 6-7 holes, then it will magically disappear for the rest of the round. I've fought mine for a 1 1/2 years (I got them playing raquetball).

If it doesn't get better, see a doctor. There are two other things it can be: stress fracture or anterior compartment syndrome which is serious shit.

I had a nasty case of shin splints in high school when I played basketball. Nothing helped but rest. Cut a season short for me.

I know some people view it as heresy, but I would consider taking a cart for the next month or so, and if you run or something for exercise, take a break from that as well, and consider swimming for cardio work. I believe they can turn into stress fractures if they are abused and you saw where that left Tiger I think taking a cart for a month is a better option than losing the season should they get really bad.

In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

The cart idea may work, depending on how his leg responds. For me, it makes it worse. If I ride a cart when my leg is hurting, I can't finish the round because it just keeps getting worse.

Being in the business of physical conditioning I've seen a ton of people with a ton of leg problems in the last few years including myself. Shint splint healing takes good old fashioned time. If you must use your legs make sure you stetch. So you'll probably be the only golfer sprawled out on the ground getting a good stretch, but it is absolutely necessary.

Also a must, and probably my main suggestion, if you must is a good REAL set of orthotics. None of the "gellin'" BS which I think gets its main benefit from marketing and the placebo effect. I suggest the Super Feet brand or the Biosoles brand. You can get them online, at Dick's, or at a running shop. You're going to get them and they won't be sexy or soft or anything like that, but they dang sure WORK. I believe every golfer would benefit from them, especially those who have leg problems or who get fatigued.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

Shin splints is a term used to cover a number of possible conditions. Seeing a doctor is always a good idea.

That being said, some general rules to follow...
1. heat the area before activity.
2. stretch thoroughly before and during activity.
3. wear COMFORTABLE shoes/sneakers. Your golf shoes could be prolonging the issue. Could be. Not saying they are.
4. ICE after activity.

Rest is usually the best solution. But if it is bearable, the above can help.

But seriously, if it's been more than a few months, see a doctor just to be safe.

i run and had shin splints once.. I got shoes that actually work well with my foot and the shin splints went away. So my advice after rest is a new pair of shoes ones that work with your foot. I am new to golf so i don't know if they have different shoes for a normal foot, under pronator or over pronator.

A few things that also my help is walking on your heels for a minute at a time. It will hurt at first but i may help, that exercise helped me.. just my 2 cents... good luck

I had shin splints all through basketball season during high school, I understand your pain! I think that it was from me being so flat footed and my feet weren't pointed straight ahead, I think it put too much torque on my shins and knees and thats why I have problems now. But I would definitely agree Marinemike on the orthotics. I am getting a pair of them soon so I hope it will help my game out! Good luck with it, I know how bad it hurts!

HookEmHorns

In my 14 Xtreme bag:

Driver Burner 10.5*3 Wood Rawlings 15*5 Wood Ignite 19*Irons S2 Max 4-GWPutter Rossa Corza Ghost 35" Next to be replaced: 3 wood. All Rawlings junk has got to go. haha

I've had a couple of bouts with shin splints through my 4 years of high school football and the only thing that you can really do is ice, ice, ice, and more ice! I would suggest it before and after golf. However I would not use heat seeing as that would just magnify the pain.

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde

Thanks for all the good suggestions folks. I am definitely going to look into some orthotics and see where that gets me.

I have noticed that riding in a cart doesn't really make it any better. It doesn't make it worse, necessarily -- but it doesn't really make it go away either.

If the orthotics don't do the trick then I suppose a doctor's visit is next on the list. We'll see...
My Bag:

I have this problem sometimes too (I have a strong hockey-influenced weight transfer.) Does the range you frequent use mats? If so, avoid it. I find mats (typically over concrete) do more to destroy your shins (and many other body parts and clubs) than almost anything else.

Kneel on the floor, with your toes pointed back, and your butt basically on your heels (think Roger Federer after winning a tournament). If you can get that muscle in the front of your leg stretched out (pointing your toe like a swimmer), you will find the shin splints will go away.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Note: This thread is 4415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!