IGNORED

Help me decide which set to buy

Note: This thread is 5388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey there,

I'm just getting into golf and have no idea what to look for in a new set. I'm trying to keep the price pretty reasonable but I want the most bang for my buck. First off, where should I look? I've checked the local Big 5 and Sports Authority, and unfortunatley there is no local pro-shop in my area. I'm looking to pick up a full set. So with that being said, what companys should I look into and which should I stay away from? And what should I look for as far as shafts, heads, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1. how much can you/do you want to spend?
2. personally, i would forget about Sports Authority, Dicks, and stores like that. you will NOT get The Best Bang For Your Buck there. Look at websites such as gppgolf.com, rockbottomgolf.com, globalgolf.com, ebay, etc. those are the places you get the best bang for your buck
3. as far as shafts go, you need to get fitted. we have no idea what your swing is like or what your swing speeds are

Im currently using Dunlop Attack clubs i purchased at kmart for 95$...their nothing to write home about, but they are perfectly fine for learning, and if you don't like the game, its not that big of an investment gone...but if you do like the game, you soon realize you could have saved that 100$ for better clubs(my predicament).

We just picked up a decent Wilson set for my GF at Sports Authority, it was on clearance plus we got an additional discount because the only right handed set was the floor model, and then we also got an additional discount because it was missing the head covers. She got a $350 set for like $180 (clubs & bag), we also got the insurance/warranty for an additional 2 years for $10 just incase, after all it was a floor model.

This is my 2 cents:

Personally if you're just getting into golfing look into the bargain sets, its better not to waste a lot of money if you're not going to make it a habit/hobby. Go back and look at the Big 5 and the Sports Authority and see if they have any clearance sets, or even check out your local craigslist.

Look for a set with a few woods (1, 3, and 5), some hybrids (3, 4 or 5), irons (6-PW/SW) and a putter. You can always buy a bag later and you can always upgrade.

As for shaft, that is a tough one… You might want stiff if you are a some what stronger more athletic person, but if you consider yourself more average maybe you want flex/regular. It’s hard when you’re first starting out, typically once you get better you can get fitted.

In my Stand-Bag

905T D 9.5º
MX 700 3W 15º
AP2 3-PW DCI Oversize+ Black SW 56º 588 LW 60º DF 550 P

i would check out Callaway preowned, ebay, and forums like this one. These will present you with the best "bang for your buck"

a set of gently used clubs just 2 or 3 years old can be had for probably 30% of the original MSRP.

I would check out Callaway's big bertha or X series clubs, Nike's slingshots, wilson Ci7's, Ping G5's, etc. All of these iron sets are SGI style and should get you going in the right direction.

Past that, I recommend going to a proshop (take the drive to the nearest one) and putt with everything you can put your hands on to figure out which putter you like the best

driver, fairway woods, and hybrids again, go to a proshop, see what you like, and then try to find a previous generation. Clubs have come a long way, but the differences from one generation to the next are generally not that great.

once you have some ideas, feel free to post back and ask more specific directions.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I would say it might be a good idea to get a full set from Sports Authority or Dick's or Golfsmith or whatever...You can check out www.sportsauthority.com and go to their golf section and click on full sets...you have a good deal of options - full sets with Bag, Driver, Woods, Irons, Putter and even Wedge from $150 to $400 or so.

Then you can slowly build your own bag...replace the Driver, Woods, Wedges, Irons at your own discretion. My brother got a RAM set for about $75 as a floor model (there was a pretty good coupon discount as well - every time Sports Authority or Dick's has a 20% coupon or whatever a lot of these clubs are eligible) and even though the reviews were bad (stories of the Driver and Woods breaking), the clubs seem OK and decently made. I don't think he's going to have a problem with any of the clubs breaking and for under $100 it's a good deal...

Here is a fantastic deal on Nickent combo irons from golftown.ca. A very reputable company, they ship to the USA, and the price is in canuckian dollars, so you save even more.

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...0.aspx?lang=en

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Here is a fantastic deal on Nickent combo irons from golftown.ca. A very reputable company, they ship to the USA, and the price is in canuckian dollars, so you save even more.

They put those on sale after I bought mine from rock bottom golf on eBay... lol.

You can probably get that same set in graphite/steel for ~$100 or in graphite for ~$140 from Rock Bottom Golf's eBay store. I am very impressed with them, they shipped next day air to Canada.
In my newbie Alpine Carry Bag
Driver - Tight Lies
3 Wood - Tight Lies
5 Wood - Tight Lies
Hybrids - 3DX IW #3/#4Irons - 3DX RC #5-PWPutter - D3-DF

look for places that will sell brand name used clubs - Trader Golf, Play It Again Sports, and typically any golf pro shop or golf course with a pro shop will be selling traded in sets.

If you're on the really cheap, scour ads for garage sales in your area, or see if there's a thrift store. It's amazing what you can find if you shop smart.

Brand name used is generally better than knock-off new.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!