IGNORED

Pebble Beach

Note: This thread is 3613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get a text message from my brother-in-law last Tuesday that said, "just teed off of #1 at Pebble Beach, HAHA!"

He just graduated with his MBA in Accounting and he and his buddy took off on a coast to coast road trip and got onto Pebble and Played a round (cost like $400 a piece, or something crazy like that ... ) and he ended up shooting 112 (which, doesn't take anyone with an MBA to realize he paid about $3.50 a stroke ..) I have the pictures of him playing so I know he did and this wasn't a joke ... he was at least really nice and brought me home a towel (that I can't use, ever! I will just hang it up somewhere in the house).

Needless to say, I was green with envy ... has anyone played there, what you shoot, and would you go back an play it again? Is the course worth the hype?
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

Have not played there, just want to say that I am jealous of your brother in law too... If I could play at Pebble Beach once in my life, I'll die happy.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

I will be there in two weeks and will post a report. Although the Pebble Beach resorts apparently haven't been too badly hit by the economy, there are some fairly decent deals there right now, so I'm playing Spanish Bay (for free), then Spyglass and finally Pebble. And at Pebble I'm certainly going to walk and take a caddy. The golf rates are kind of crazy at $495 for Pebble and $340 for Spyglass; while these are high, I feel it is almost rational when compared to the $500+ at someplace like the Wynn in Vegas.

I can't wait - I've long admired the majesty of Pebble and its long history, and almost feel like I'm making a pilgrimage to Mecca.....

I would agree, once in my life for PB would be enough, I think I'd like to play Spyglass too ... that's cool ...
In my Bag:

5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

I played it two weeks ago. Even par through five holes, then the wheels fell off. I hit a drive and it was in the edge of the rough and we could see the ball sitting up. A crow swoops out of the sky and starts jumping on my ball and pecking hell out of it. I am not kidding, I have a pic I can post when I get settled again. The crow pecked for over a minute and we could not see the ball, he drove it down. When we got up there, we had to search hard to find it. I was told I have to play it as it lies and I made double bogey. That was the end of my even par. I shot 85 and triple bogeyed last freakin' hole, which I love. Hit into fairway bunker, then hit lip coming out, then hit short, then skulled it over, then chipped on, then 3 putted. Ugh.

It was $495 plus $115 for caddy with tip. The course has fab scenery. The greens are TINY, smallest on tour. They are very hard to read, I had 35 putts even with a caddy who was always right about the putts. (really.) I could not get the speed. It would be uphill and he would say this is very fast and he was right! Then he'd say, even though this next one (on another hole) is downhill, it is very slow and he'd be right. He was good, very enjoyable and his name is Michael and I think he caddies on the weekend. Tall, dark-haired guy.

The wind blew, of course. I doubt I would go again, as that is just too much money but, hey, I can say I played it once. And was even par through five. Until the damn crow. (I think I could have gotten a drop.)

I wish it was like the Masters, where gear is fair but no, it's very expensive. Like $38 for a cap and $150 for a shirt. I bought a cap and that's it.

I showed up at 7:30am Sunday morning and teed off at nine and I was a single. I went thinking that they had discount rates going on due to poor economy but not so.

U S Open is there next year.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

I think a lot of the courses need to get back to having caddies ... none of the courses in my area have them ... caddies are a lost relic that need to come back to the game ...
In my Bag:

Ive been there, but didnt play. Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and Pebble are great but there is also Poppy Hills down there which is Northern California Golf Associations home course. Its really cheap if you are an NCGA member. Only like $50. So maybe make a friend before you go....

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

I played it about 18 years ago when I proposed to my wife on the 7th tee box. I shot 92.

Pebble Beach is golf heaven. everybody should play it at least once in their life time.

We stay at the lodge over looking the 18th hole. back then it was still about $350 - $400 with lodging about $300 - $350 a night.

I walked the course several time since watching the AT&T; Peeble beach Pro Am.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

My wife's cousin got married in the Pebble Beach over Thanksgiving weekend last year. While I didn't get to play Pebble Beach, they bride's parents had tee times set up at Spyglass for anyone in town the day before the wedding. We played from the furthest back tees they had set up, and I shot 86.

Driving around the area at night is disorienting, and I didn't realize until after we left that the place where the wedding reception was held at (the "Beach and Tennis Club") was directly next to #17 green (the wedding itself was in some "forest" church). I remember looking out the window and seeing a small green with a bunch of bunkers around it (too dark to make out much) and I knew we were right up against the ocean, but I never put two and two together. I should have probably laid off the champagne.

Played Spyglass in Summer of 1995 when I was 18. Greens had just been punched which was a bummer. It was a very nice experience although I was still a high school kid that didn't appreciate it then like I would now.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I have played Pebble, Spyglass, and Poppy... Pebble has the history obviously but IMO Spyglass was the best course... If you go by all means get a caddie, the greens are tough to read and the yardages take some getting used to... It is expensive but it is a golf shrine...

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

I had a weekend down at Pebble two years ago. I started with Poppy Hills, then played Spanish Bay, Pebble, then Spyglass. I loved them all, and started to play progressively better.I shot an 82 at spanish bay, then was 1 under through five at pebble until i blew up and got tired from all the hype, walked in with a 91. Finally played spyglass and had an 82. Best week of my entire life. The courses are incredible, I have never seen a course where you take one wrong step and you are in the ocean. It was incredible. If you have any chance to play, it is completely worth the money.

Pebble has been running a promotional rate of $375 with cart for the past several months. It used to be for NCGA members, recently they've opened it up to anyone in California. The same deal gives you half off at Spyglass and Spanish Bay.

Great courses, just remember to bring your "A" game.

Played Pebble and Spyglass last year for my birthday (Best Bday present ever). Pebble was everything I expected--worth every penny, but Ill never pay that much to play there again. Ended up shooting 83, and was pleased. It looks hard on TV, but in person, it's a whole other level of hard. Speaking of which....Spyglass. The second hardest course I've ever played (behind Carnoustie, talk about murder in the form of golf), and it is every bit as good as Pebble for completely different reasons. Spyglass is probably my favorite course I have ever played in terms of design...it's an ingenious course, and every single hole is worthy of being a signature hole at most courses. Shot 86 and was ecstatic. If you can get a stay and play package, Id highly recommend it as a one-time treat that every golfer deserves to experience.

HiBore XLS 9.5*
Launcher 15*
Rescue 21*
X-20 Tour 4-PW
CG10 50*, CG12 56*, 60*Pixl L1.8 (8 years and running)

I've had the pleasure and priveledge of playing Pebble 4 times, with the first being in 1983 ($300 green fee) and then once a year for the past three years. The second time I played, they had ariated the greens the day before with BIG plugs. That really sucked! But scoring ISN'T the priority out here. The beauty of the environment rules! Every golfer should be allowed to play PB at least once in his/her lifetime, even though the green fees are outrageous (although discounted right now). Pebble is expensive from the $4 coffee's to the $8 hot dog on the course that the blackbirds will snatch out of your cart the minute it is left unattended! They are VERY fat birds. You will be tired at the end of the day, because carts stay on paths, don't expect to shoot your handicap out here, make sure you go to "Fishwives" restuarant right outside the Spanish Bay gate!

Ive been there, but didnt play. Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and Pebble are great but there is also Poppy Hills down there which is Northern California Golf Associations home course. Its really cheap if you are an NCGA member. Only like $50. So maybe make a friend before you go....

If you live in Cali, and don't mind the drive....the best buy is the Duke's card. It is from The Old Del Monte Course. It's $300 for the card for the year. You can play Del Monte for $45 (normally $100), and you and your foursome can play Spyglass for $185 (normally $330) each, and Spanish Bay for $125($225+) (playing there on the 20th)

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

1 footnote to my post. That entire area (Carmel, Pebble Beach) is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. Simply amazing. I absolutely cannot wait to go back. It makes South Florida look like East St. Louis.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I played it 3 years ago and shot 82 the sad thing is the only thing I will remember about that round was the 6 plus hours it took to play. Beautiful course but way too many people with cameras and cell phones.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Note: This thread is 3613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!