IGNORED

Affordable, Forgiving Irons

Note: This thread is 5409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In my continuing quest to create a solid arsenal of golf clubs, it has come time to replace my old crappy irons. I need some suggestions and personal thoughts on some affordable and forgiving irons. I'm a high hdcp as you can see and for the most part I am just looking to hit it straight and in the desired direction. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Oh and by affordable I mean ~$250.

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde

I just purschased a new set of Adams Tech OS irons. 3&4 are hybrid woods, 5&6 are hybrid irons and 7-PW are traditional cavity backs. I have played 3 rounds with them so far and absolutely love them. Easy to hit straight and about 6-9 yards further than I was hitting my old Callaway Hawkeye's. Been playing for 5 years and have been consistent in the mid 90's. My first round with these, I shot a 93, second round an 89 and just today, my best round ever at 87.

I got the set with stiff graphite shafts. The look great, hit great and were cheap!

I got them on Ebay for $172+$19 for shipping. Dick's sells them for $399+tax.

This is the set I got. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260428950599

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

I got my 2004 Big Bertha's for around 250$ on ebay. You can find them cheaper than that now and they are VERY forgiving. The mass is spread out all over the club, even some of my worse mishits still are managable.

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

look into Ping ISI

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Acer XK irons
http://www.hirekogolf.com/xk/xk.html

$200 with standard shafts and grips
http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/ord...1232/0/0/0/0/0 (3-pw)

you can order which ever clubs you want

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

What do you guys think of the taylormade rac line of irons and also about some the of mizuno mx series?

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde

My Mizuno MX-23 4-PW arrived today, $200 shipped from callawaygolfpreowned.com. Took them to the range and all I can say is they were a huge, huge, huge, huge, huge improvement over my previous irons. Perhaps not surprising considering the old ones were 9-year-old irons from a cheap intro set... I'm very happy so far. Don't have many data points for saying how easy they are to hit, but I was able to start at one end and pretty effortlessly hit a nice shot with each club in succession and actually see the different trajectory and distance from one club to the next. That didn't happen with my old ones-- it seemed like the 3 and 4 irons hit about the same, 5-7 about the same, and 8-PW were about the same.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Congrats on the new sticks. Ive been shopping around for some new clubs and Im going to look into them a little more. I was wondering what condition they were listed as for $200. Also, was the condition what you were expecting or were they better or worse. The reason I ask is Im probably going to buy my clubs there as well and trying to figure out what I should expect as far as the condition of the clubs. Thanks

Sasquatch 4950 460 Driver
19 Degree A30S Boxer FW Hybrid
X-20 4-PW
56 SW, 60 LW
Tiffany Putter NXT Extreme Ball

These were "Very Good" condition, and were more or less what I expected. The worst flaw was a little chip/ding in the bottom toe of the 7I, maybe 3-4 mm across. Otherwise, a few scratches, but I'd say their description as "the cleanest club in your bag" was pretty good. The shafts were all clean and the grips were in good shape. Overall, clearly they'd been used, but not very hard. These were steel shafts, btw, which tend to be a bit cheaper than the graphite ones.

Based on these clubs, I'd say that I'd probably have been happy going one tier lower to "Good." It definitely wouldn't have been worth paying more for "Like New." I'd have some reservations about "Average," but if the set you are looking for happened to pop up, it might be worth taking the chance. Worst case, you can return them after inspection, although you'll be out the cost of two-way shipping, which would kind of defeat the purpose of buying cheap irons.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Thanks for the info Zeg. The lowest I think I will go is going to be "GOOD" I really dont want to deal with having to send them back if they are in bad shape. Thanks again.

Sasquatch 4950 460 Driver
19 Degree A30S Boxer FW Hybrid
X-20 4-PW
56 SW, 60 LW
Tiffany Putter NXT Extreme Ball

I dont think you could go wrong with Taylor Made Tour Burners. Now that they have been replaced by the new Burners you can find them on sale everywhere. Used at about $250. Most forgiving, solid club I've ever played. Good Luck

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Note: This thread is 5409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!