IGNORED

How long do your spikes last?

Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play right handed and every 30 shots or so that I hit, 2 or 3 of my spikes on my left shoe (all at the toe-end of my shoe) are shredded...is this common for you guys too? There are obviously certain factors that contribute to the spikes wear and tear, such as how much one rotates on the foot, how much one weighs, the torque on the spikes etc...

but was just curious if you had similar wear times....

In my bag..

Driver: Mighty Big T3, 8°, Grafalloy Prolite 35
Fairway Wood: PT, 13°
Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

does that mean you're replacing spikes in your left shoes like every 5-6 rounds?

I got new spikes put in probably 15 rounds ago and they are fresh as can be.

I got new spikes in the winter and have used them 2-3 times a week since the middle or March. They are only a little worn down really.
How often are you changing yours haha

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

does that mean you're replacing spikes in your left shoes like every 5-6 rounds?

haha every 5 or 6 rounds??? I wish...usually they need to be replaced by the 14th or 15th hole...again it's usually the same two or three spikes. The other spikes last longer, as do the spikes of my right foot.

In my bag..

Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

Sounds weird to me. Never had a problem close to that.
It must just be from how your twisting your left foot. Or you must walk alot on the cart path?

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Sounds weird to me. Never had a problem close to that.

No its not the cart path...the spikes are usually ripped in half and barely dangling to the anchored end. I guess it's my weight being forward and swinging hard causing the rotation on them. I appreciate the feedback though, maybe it's something I need to investigate further.

...and if I'm at the range it's a max of 30 balls that causes at least 2 to be ripped and 1 to be starting to rip

In my bag..

Wow, I've worn golf shoes the last two seasons and have yet to change a single spike.

Does sound like you are doing something extreme with that foot, or the spikes and/or shoe is something funny with.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get new spikes only when I get a new pair of shoes.

You must be doing something really goofy with your foot if you are shredding them after a few holes.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

That really does seem a bit excessive. How much do you weigh? You must be torquing the hell out of your foot. I'm surprised you don't have knee or ankle pain if you manage to do that to your spikes.

909D3 9.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
975F 14.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
735CM 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold (S300)
56° Spin Milled
60° Spin Milled Studio Style Newport 2 35" Pro V1x or Tour B330

If you're using those super soft Pulsar Spikes you may want to switch over to the harder Black Widow spikes.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Hmm what Spikes are you using? I use Black Widows and have never had a problem shredding them, I normally change them at the beginning of the year just to get a fresh set in even though they aren't needed...

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

Thanks for the tips, maybe I will try the black widows again. When I have used them in the past, they tear less but just tend to partially come out of the socket..which then feels awkward and then rips there after so I tried a softer spike just as a test, hoping it would be more flexible and give rather than tear but no such luck.

In my bag..

maybe you have defective shoes... you play at such a low handicap its hard to imagine that you are doing anything really weird or awkward with your left foot to cause damage to your spikes like that. can you take a picture the next time it happens? i'd like to see what teh damage is you are talking about. this is really interesting

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

the outside back spike on my back shoe always tends to tear the little fingers after about 15 or so rounds, so I usually replace that one spike every month or so, but the rest last a season plus...

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

• 3 weeks later...
This is an interesting topic. I bought a new pair of golf shoes in April this year and the spikes along the outside of the left foot are showing wear. There are seven cleats per shoe and three along that left side are missing fingers from the outside of the cleat. The shoes have a Callaway brand on them, and the spikes are noted on the box as "Callaway Chevron Comfort Spike". Since I bought the shoes, I have played perhaps 20 rounds. I am strictly a cart rider and use another (old) pair of shoes for the range. My old shoes have Black Widow spikes and generally lasted a full season. So I will look into a more durable replacement for the Callaways.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

I usually change my spikes at the beginning of each year. Hopefully, I can get a whole year in without having to change them. The Black Widow's seem to last a lot longer than the standard spikes that came with my shoes.

x86 Bag
909D2 9.5*
Rescue Mid Hybrid 4
AP2 Irons 3-PW
TP 54* Vokey: SM 60* Circa 62 #1 Pro V1x Balls

wow, lol. I've never seen a spike issue like that! I don't know why but my spikes don't get bad for a long time. I don't have a lot of foot action, especially on my left foot.

Honestly, half the time I don't even bother to put my spikes on. My feet don't seem to slip really if the grass isn't damp. I usually use them in the morning but don't have many issues in the afternoon when it's dry out and prefer a more comfortable running show a lot of the time.

buy better spikes?.....

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!