IGNORED

Lost some considerable distance

Note: This thread is 5383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have just switched from Titleist DCI Oversize to Titleist AP2 irons. In the DCI irons I had the basic Tri Spec steel shafts in stiff and in the AP2 irons I got fitted with Project X 5.5 (1/2” longer and +2*).

I took the new AP2 irons out to the range yesterday and noticed a considerable drop in distance from the DCI. For example I used to (week prior) be able to hit my 7 150 with little effort when I get a hold of it about 160 with crummy range balls. But with the new clubs I seem to be falling short at about 140 even about 135 with the same crummy range balls and using a 7 iron. I also was hitting the ball square just about every time.

I’m wondering if I just need to adjust to the new clubs or if it is the new clubs. I also am due for a lesson to work out a few little kinks I have.

In my Stand-Bag

905T D 9.5º
MX 700 3W 15º
AP2 3-PW DCI Oversize+ Black SW 56º 588 LW 60º DF 550 P

I see you have +2*, is the balling flying higher than before?

NBC Tour Member

In my Nike bag:
Cobra Speed LD OS Driver
Nike Ignite 3H Nike Ignite irons 4 - PWCheap no name LW (60*) and AW (54*)Nike OZ #3 PutterPro V1x or Noodle+ BallsFootJoy ShoesNike glove

I see you have +2*, is the balling flying higher than before?

Sorry the +2* I am referring to is the lie angle, the lofts are standard.

As for ball flight, it appeared about the same.

In my Stand-Bag

905T D 9.5º
MX 700 3W 15º

This exact same thing happened to me just about a year ago. I was playing Cobra ss-i irons with graphite shafts. Then I was was fitted for the exact same setup as you. I lost some good ammount of distance but I ended up gainging about 5 yards more after I played with them. I was a 12 when I got them and I thought I hit them solid but I ended getting only better. Just give them time bor cus you will find out that with time you will learn to love your ap2's.

909 D2 9.5* Voodoo
906 F4 15.5* UST V2
3DX DC 19* UST SR2
AP2 3-PW PX 5.5
Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.08 DG S300 Circa '62 no. 7 NXT TourWhite Tacki-Mac Itomic Career Low: 1 over par 71

If the lofts are the same, good chance it's the shafts causing the loss, not the club if you are hitting it square. I had to switch shafts im my MP's to a lighter shaft than the regular DG and got my regular distance back. Before the switch, I was coming up a good 10 to 15 yrds shorter cause I had incorrect shafts.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

I just wanted to add a quick bit FYI:

You can make a degree symbol ( º ) by holding down the ALT key and pressing 167 on your number pad and then releasing ALT.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

That kind of distance loss indicates off-center hits rather than shaft problems. Get some impact tape and make absolutely certain that you are hitting it square. Don't know for sure, but I'm guessing going from oversized irons to AP2s have a significant reduction in sweet-spot size. Comparing the longest shots with both clubs is another way to determine that the shaft is the problem. If you can't possibly reach the length of the other club with the best of 30 shots or so, the shaft could be to blame. Get on a launch monitor and compare the spin rates. I'm guessing the new clubs would be higher if it is the shafts. Does the trajectory balloon at all? One way to identify ballooning is to look at the ball as it reaches it's apex. If it's really easy to track and requires little eye movement, you've got a good spin rate for maximum distance. If you are having to continually "look for the ball", it's got way too much vertical shape.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I'm feeling the same thing-

I just bought a (used) set of Titleist 804's and I'm noticing a drop in distance right now from my old irons, especially from 8-PW.

I think a lot of it is my new irons are noticeably heavier and I'm not swinging as hard. I'm confident it'll work out as I get used to the clubs.

Sidetrack: When hitting the irons I bought at golf galaxy, the guy had me hit the AP2s as well. Wow, those are some sweet feeling irons, and I'm jealous. I just couldn't convince myself that they felt $800 nicer than the used 804s.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

After each shot I would check the face of the club and a small mark would be left from the range ball. I would clean this off each time, and each time it was right in the center of the club, sometime a little on the lower side, but for the most part dead center.
I’m going to hit the range again tomorrow and see if I get any better results, I think I may just need to adjust to the change.
If I get some time of it the pro shop is still open I may pick up some impact tape and see how they look.
It could be the shaft but not 100% sure; I was going from a more forgiving setup with the DCI to a more skilled/workable set with the AP2s.

In my Stand-Bag

905T D 9.5º
MX 700 3W 15º

Just give it time bro. I think you should expect these kinda of results cus I did. Think of it this way, You moved from a very forgiving iron to more of a players iron. Its going to take getting used to.

909 D2 9.5* Voodoo
906 F4 15.5* UST V2
3DX DC 19* UST SR2
AP2 3-PW PX 5.5
Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.08 DG S300 Circa '62 no. 7 NXT TourWhite Tacki-Mac Itomic Career Low: 1 over par 71

Sidetrack: When hitting the irons I bought at golf galaxy, the guy had me hit the AP2s as well. Wow, those are some sweet feeling irons, and I'm jealous. I just couldn't convince myself that they felt $800 nicer than the used 804s.

They are great clubs, I was initially looking at the AP1s, but the Titleist Pro had me hit the AP2s also just to see how they feel and they did feel great!

Plus I tend to keep my clubs for awhile so I thought it was a wise investment. I’d had my DCIs since ‘96/’97, so I’ll get my moneys worth out of the AP2s.

In my Stand-Bag

905T D 9.5º
MX 700 3W 15º

Just give it some time. It is probably mostly the shaft. After you spend more time with them you will get more used to how the shaft loads and how you have to hit it to get the distance. Same thing happend to me last year when I got new clubs. I had a stiffer shaft put in and lost about a half a club. The more I play with them, the more accustomed I am with the different shaft and the distance is coming back.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

dude...super off topic, but thx for the post!!

i just adjusted mine in my sig!! sorry, hi-jack over :)
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

now to add to this post ON TOPIC
i noticed the same thing w my irons (yes i know not AP2's)
but i was a 9i from 150, now im sorta in-between at that distance
either a half blasted 9i or a 3/4 8i

starting to get used to them, so i hope to be back in range when i get em figured out
i should be playing a stiff shaft in my irons, as i have a 110-113 driver swing speed
BUT....these are good enough for now
maybe i can get upgraded to the projext X 6.0's next year???? (x-mas?? hahah!)
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

This doesn't work on my mac, any suggestions?

adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

• Administrator
This doesn't work on my mac, any suggestions?

It's option-k on a Mac: ˚.

Or, on the forum and to be correct, [ent]deg[/ent].

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I have just switched from Titleist DCI Oversize to Titleist AP2 irons. In the DCI irons I had the basic Tri Spec steel shafts in stiff and in the AP2 irons I got fitted with Project X 5.5 (1/2” longer and +2*).

Same thing happened to me. I changed from set of Ping i3 blades with the stock JZ stiff shafts, to MP57 with PX 5.0 (both sets +0.5" / +1 deg) and initially I lost at least a club in distance. I was frustrated big time, just as you are.

Until now I'd say I'm not 100% comfortable with the PX shaft - they 'feel' completely different. Also, my Pings were a big old cavity backs as compared to the MP57s, so definitely more forgiving / longer on slightly off centre hits. Were the lofts on both your sets identical? I believe a couple of deg loft can equate to half a club distance? That said, over time I've got used to handling my new clubs and it has made me a better ball striker. Also, there's big deal about hitting a 7 iron, where last time you used to hit an 8. Just use the club that gets the job done
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Don't give up on just a few stints at the range. Give yourself some real time to get used to these irons. Trust me after a few hits that are pure you will fall in love immediately.

909 D2 9.5* Voodoo
906 F4 15.5* UST V2
3DX DC 19* UST SR2
AP2 3-PW PX 5.5

Note: This thread is 5383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!