IGNORED

Fusion vs. X-18 pros

Woody
Note: This thread is 7008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the difference between the new Fusion and X-18 pro series, aside from the shaft ? I'm about 12 handicap and looking to replace my x-14's which have a little too much offset ...

Thank you all.
i

• Administrator
What is the difference between the new Fusion and X-18 pro series, aside from the shaft ? I'm about 12 handicap and looking to replace my x-14's which have a little too much offset ...

There's a little bit of information

here , but that may not help you entirely. I've put in a request with someone who should be able to provide more information... In the meantime, Callaway's own pages provide some clues: X-18 Pro , Fusion . The Fusion has the titanium face and the plastic-looking insert. The X-18s are a little more traditional. As with all clubs, check your pro shop and hit one of each. See what you like! BTW, Welcome to The Sand Trap forum!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't hit the Fusions, but this weekend, a guy hitting next to me at the driving range had a set of X-18 pro's and I was pretty impressed, they have a really low trajectory for a cavity back and a pretty thin topline. I only hit about three balls with a 7I, but I was pretty impressed. I've never been a huge Cally fan, but it looks like they've got some good products out now.

Woody: There are some big differences between the Fusions and X-18s.

First, let's talk offset. All three irons you mention (X-14s, X-18s and Fusions) have nearly the exact same amount of offset. The X-18s are sleeker, being two generations newer, and may look like they have less offset. If you want less offset, try the X-18 Pro Series version. They really do have less offset, but are nearly as forgiving. As a previous poster said, try before you buy. Back to the Fusion/X-18 differences. The X-18s are the latest version of the X-series that started with X-12 and went through X-14 and X-16. Each version gets a little sleeker, a little more playable. They're all cast stainless steel. You won't notice a big difference from X-14 to X-18 in how they play. The X-18s have a notch weighting design that makes them a bit more forgiving than the X-14s. The Fusions are all-new and different from the X-series. They are a three-piece design, with a heavy body, a light titanium face and a central piece of soft plastic-like material. This increases the perimeter weighting and gives them solid feel. In my experience with them, I thought they were great-feeling clubs. But they feel great on every shot, no matter how bad you hit it. If you're looking for something that gives you a lot of feedback, the Fusions aren't for you. In sum: The Fusions are more forgiving, more expensive, have the most technology and are the more expensive of the two. The X-18s are solid, versatile and more of a player's club. Hope this helps.

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you all for your feddback. It sounds like the X-18 pro series are the choice for me. They also have the Dynamic Gold shaft which matches my swing speed better than the basic Callaway shaft...

Hit'em well !

Woody,

Just be sure before you buy the X-18 Pro series you hit them. They have a smaller face, less offset, with an increased bounce. In summary: you are losing a good deal forgiveness. However, since you are a 12 handicap, I'd suggest hitting both of the clubs in a side-by-side comparison to see which ones play the best, and possibly consider trying out the regular X-18's.
IN MY BAG

Irons Big Bertha Fusion Irons 3-PW, SW, LW (Nippon 990 UNFX)
Driver Big Bertha Fusion FT-3 (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)
3 Wood ERC Fusion 3w - RGS (RCH Sys 55R)4/5 Wood Big Bertha Fusion 15D Fairway Wood (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)Bag 10.5" orange fusion tour bagPutter Scotty Cameron Newport...

I almost bought Ping Irons, but considering I had all Callaway woods and I've played X12's, and X14's, I'd try some of the new stuff by Callaway. I was very impressed with the fusions. They have to be some of the best irons I've hit. Very satisfied. However, if you do decide to get either the X-18's or the Fusions, be sure to get iron covers. I origionally didn't think it was necessary considering they are cast irons, and they got beat up pretty bad from riding in the bag in one or two rounds. I contacted Callaway, they sent me a new set, and of course, I went out and bought iron covers. Other than that, they are great clubs, and you always get a good feel on everyshot: it can be a complete mis-hit and you still get a good feel.

I have hit the X-18 Pro Series and the X-18 in the store, however, it was on a launch monitor, and on a horrible carpet/mat thing.. I don't think you can even call it a mat. But from what I had felt from the two irons, the X-18 had a whole lot of "Nothing-ness" feel to it. I have had other people say this. However, it might be more attracting visually, I wasn't impressed a whole lot with the feel, and they are forgiving and had good ball flights.

Compared though, if you are a higher handicapper, I would honestly go with the Fusions. They might be more expensive, but they are worth it. The face is very hot, they look sharp, and they have great feel. From what I can tell, they had even a thinner top-line than the X-18's. Oh, I forgot to mention the X-18 Pro series have a larger topline.
IN MY BAG

Irons Big Bertha Fusion Irons 3-PW, SW, LW (Nippon 990 UNFX)
Driver Big Bertha Fusion FT-3 (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)
3 Wood ERC Fusion 3w - RGS (RCH Sys 55R)4/5 Wood Big Bertha Fusion 15D Fairway Wood (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)Bag 10.5" orange fusion tour bagPutter Scotty Cameron Newport...

Note: This thread is 7008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!