IGNORED

Interesting Story from Today (in progress)

Knockglock
Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So today I went to the range as I do several times a week with one of my buddies, we started by hitting balls off the range. I start with my 9-iron, work down to my 7-iron, then pull out my driver and pop a few down the range.

After this, I head down to the chipping range to work on my short game. I've somewhat neglected my chipping and putting lately, but after signing up for the forums yesterday and reading around, I realized that I need to put more emphasize on my short-game, and stop giving up needless strokes a round. I notice an older golfer about twenty or thirty yards off the chipping green lobbing up some approach shots over people's heads. Momentarily irritated, I put it out of my mind and started focusing on my chips. I chip around for forty-five minutes or so, and it's not very crowded. I'm focused and serious and getting into a good rhythm.

I'm chipping with about 8 or 9 balls, when the same older golfer came up to me and roughly and sternly informs me that their is a 5 ball limit on the chipping green. I acknowledge him, but being focused and practicing seriously, I wave him off. I double check to make sure that i'm not being obnoxious or hogging the green. Certain that i'm not causing a trouble for anyone, I keep chipping to the same hole. After chipping to down the hill to the pin for a while, I move below the hole and practice chipping it up the hill.

Out of nowhere, the older golfer starts chipping across the entire green to the pin I was currently in the process of sending balls to. Slightly more irritated, I turn to another pin to my left and start chipping to an unused pin. The older golfer comes across the green to collect his balls and gets into my line and says, "Do you not care, or do you not speak English." I respond by saying that, "I'm just practicing my chipping." He goes, "You ****ing kids come in here, do you think you're ****ing special?" Again, I tell him, "I'm just practicing my chips. I don't mess with you when your practicing, don't mess with me." He continues to verbally harass me and I respond with a very mature, "Cry about it." This really pisses him off and he gets up into my face, literally inches away. I hold my ground and he threatens me by saving, "I'm an old mother****ing man. I don't cry about shit... I take care of it." Not wanting to escalate the confrontation, I turn my back on him and go back to chipping.

Later, a couple of other golfers approach me and asked what happened. I explained the situation to them, and they said that this older golfer had a bad reputation for thinking that he owned the place. They also confirmed what I believed, that hitting a few extra balls over the limit was not a huge deal.

So what do you guys think of me getting harassed on the chipping green? Personally, I thought it was kind of funny, but also kind of uncalled for. There was plenty of chipping area for everyone, and a physical confrontation was completely unnecessary.

[In Progress.]

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

i would have dropped the mother-f'er...then stood over him and said "i can take care of sh*t to"....then continued to chip over his knocked out ass

i think you handled things perfectly man...a lot better and more mature than i would have!! hahahah! and im 28! hahaha!
i hate when people pull status like that...anyone who WANTS to start something, usually can't back it up...old hockey mentality
the tough guys were tough when called upon...the beakers thought they were tough - until the tuff guy puts him in his place
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I think you reaction was the good one, my reaction would be quite different and wouldn't ended well.

I hate those people!

Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

some old men talk sh** because they know you're not going to physically do anything about it. this guy probably got his ass kicked when he was young, so now he wants to know what it feels like to talk smack. i would have simply asked him what he intended to do about it. depending upon his response i would have responded accordingly. you didn't owe him an explanation.

Honestly, if it went down just like you said, then you have much more patience than I would. I'd have had half a mind to stick a 7 iron down his throat. If you're not bothering anybody, then really, who cares about the 5 ball limit? Golf's supposed to be a relaxing game, not uptight lol.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

Was there a sign with a 5-ball limit? Woodley Lakes has a 10-ball limit, for instance. Other courses in my area have people regularly hitting entire shag bags to the green.

If there's no sign, or some other reason to believe there was a 5-ball limit in effect, then I would suggest actually obeying it.

If not, then suggest, politely at first, that there's a difference between suggestions and rules, and if he wants to limit himself to 5 balls, he's welcome to do so. If there is no limit, you should respect his decision and allow him to collect his balls from the green on a regular basis. But he should also respect your decision, and allow you to do a few more chips before picking his up.

If he comments about kids these days, maybe ask him if 5 balls was the limit in the Renaissance too. I mean, I regularly say things like "kids these days" and "when I was your age," but I don't find his language called for.

If there's a limit, or a restriction, the pro shop should not hesitate to let you know. They stop people from chipping to the putting green all the time out here, and stop people from walking onto the driving range to pick up balls.

Edit: And it occurs to me : what he did to you might constitute assault. If he does it again, and you have witnesses, you could press charges. That sort of behavior has no place in polite society.

Mind if I ask which course this was?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You should have summoned up a very loud fart.... and then said No Hablo Ingles!

Driver - Mizuno MX700
3W - Mizuno MX700
3H - Mizuno MX700
4I - 60◦ - Mizuno MX200
Putter - Fazer Tour Touch IIIHandicap: - Lack of talent

I think you handled it the best you could.

Is this a private or public course? Either way you may want to speak to the course manager. Be respectful and tell you him you wan to make him of aware of an incident. Tell him you want to make sure you understand what the exact rule is for chipping and if there was truly an issue. Either way tell him you do not appreciate being verbally assaulted like that. Your age should have nothing to do with his behavior.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I'd grab my crotch, and tell him to get on his knees and speak into the microphone.

Or, better yet, if you think you can take him on the course, tell him you'd like to see him put his money where his mouth is and offer a hefty bet on the course - most guys who carry themselves like that typically fall apart when under pressure and are marks (easy money).

i would have dropped the mother-f'er...then stood over him and said "i can take care of sh*t to"....then continued to chip over his knocked out ass

HAHAHAHA. Oh man, that made my day.

I think you handled it just fine. I don't know that I would have turned my back on the dude, but what you did seems fine to me. Is there an owner/manager to this place? That's where I would start my conversation.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

I think you handled it the best you could.

Yeah, don't bring yourself down to his level. Even if there were restrictions on how many balls you can chip, there's no excuse for that kind of behavior. I would just avoid him when you can. If it happens again, go to the pro shop and explain what happened.

I had a smilliar confrontation with one of our club's members who is known for bad temper and ill manners (among other bad qualities). I was still a newb and I had no idea who he was, and I was still making my ways into the club. I was chipping on the practice green from one side, while he was chipping along with a woman who looked foreign from another side of the green. I went up to collect my balls and suddenly he started shouting and yelling telling me to leave that specific ball I had in my hands. I looked up at it and saw that it was my own ball, it had a special marking. So I went up to where he is and told him what's wrong, he started shouting and pointing to the woman "that's her ball, and now she is angry with me and shouting at me", I told him no, its not your ball, it has a marking on it. Anyway, if you want it that much you can have it. Just don't tell me that a woman is shouting at you because that's really shameful. I dropped the ball on the ground infront of him and turned away.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I get that sort of thing all the time. Range, course, shops. I just blow it off (usally get nerved up a tad and totally screw up my shots with them watching).

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I just blow it off (usally get nerved up a tad and totally screw up my shots with them watching).

Haha, so true!

I was chipping on the practice green from one side, while he was chipping along with a woman who looked foreign from another side of the green. I went up to collect my balls and suddenly he started shouting and yelling telling me to leave that specific ball I had in my hands. I looked up at it and saw that it was my own ball, it had a special marking. So I went up to where he is and told him what's wrong, he started shouting and pointing to the woman "that's her ball, and now she is angry with me and shouting at me", I told him no, its not your ball, it has a marking on it.

Ever noticed most guys with mail-order brides are the most miserable sacks of sh*t ever? It must suck knowing that all she wanted out of the deal was a green card. Most of the guys in my normal group are Asian, and they pointed that out to me (a couple of them have a habit of nailing MOB's on the side) and it makes a lot of sense.

Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!