IGNORED

Too much draw

Note: This thread is 2441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm having trouble with too much draw on my irons mostly, although I am also doing it with my driver and 3 wood sometimes turning it into a hook. I read some articles about drawing the ball so I thought "hey I should try that".. and now I can't STOP it!! I really would not mind this draw so much if it would do it all the time.. It really is a pretty shot..10 yards to the left of the green! Sometimes I hit the ball straight as can be, although I would say 30-40% of the time the draw sneaks in.

I'm right handed and I've been told my right hand is too strong and I need to bring it more over the top on my grip. I swing a driver around 100-105 mph and hit my 8 iron 150yds.. Should I slow my swing down?

Can anyone confirm this, or have any other drills/tips that may be able to help me?

Thank you!!

Draw or hook? If your ball ends up left of the target, it's a hook.

A strong right hand will turn the clubface shut, so there is probably your answer. You could also check the alignment of your clubs, you could be taking address with the clubface shut. You can keep the strong grip, but turn the club a little clockwise in your hands to see if that helps. With that position, you can have a strong grip without closing the clubface too much.

As far as I've understood, a strong grip is recommended as it makes it harder to roll the clubface open during the swing, especially the backswing. With the club in a square position, a strong grip will turn the clubface shut. Keeping the strong grip, but turning the clubface a bit in your hands to square up the clubface might do the trick.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

man Ive been having the exact same problem recently.. I played the best 9 of my life then mid way through the back 9 i started hooking and it got worse and worse. played 9 again today, first 2 holes great, then the hook came back in. This happened a couple months ago but it went away when i took a few days off from playing. Hopefully it will happen that way again this time

In My 2007 ogio.gif Edge Bag:
taylormade.gif07 Burner 9.5* S Driver
taylormade.gif08 Burner 3 wood
taylormade.gifRAC OS Irons 4-PW
vokey.gif56* Wedge taylormade.gifrac 60* satin wedgeodyssey.gifWhite Hot Tour #1Started playing January 2009, best round thus far: 82

Two things helped me:

1. My left hand had gotten too strong, too on top of the club. I weakened it a bit by turning it to the left, thumb at 1 o'clock, 2 knuckles showing.

2. My shoulders were a bit closed. Made sure I aligned, especially my shoulders, parallel left.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

I have the same problems always protecting from drawing to pull hooking all my shots.

This is what I do to prevent from drawing or hooking:

1) make sure that my grip is as neutra as possible
A) start with the left hand and show no more than one knuckle
B) place the right hand v is pointing at your sternum and not your right shoulder
C) do not take the club back on an inside line but straight back
D) make sure that my hands are the correct distance from my body
E) make sure that I make a full hip and shoulder turn

Hope this will help.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• 4 weeks later...
I have the same problems always protecting from drawing to pull hooking all my shots.

awesome, you just put into writing what i've been thinking. i've been hooking the ball lately, so i weakened my grip but i hadn't tried opening up a little.

I had a bad case of the hooks for a couple weeks. My problem was that I was coming too far from the inside like Burley Golf said. My grip was a touch too strong too. I've been working on keeping the club outside of my hands on the takeaway and getting the club a little more upright at the top. I also moved my right hand on top of the grip a little more. Now I'm working on getting my finish more upright, I used to have that hard wrap around finish like Camilo(which is a hook biased swing).

For me swinging slower accentuates the hook.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 8 years later...
Note: This thread is 2441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!