IGNORED

Tempo

Jesh
Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play on a HS golf team, and lately, I've been shooting 45-48 on 9, but with the occasion explosions, like 56. I know a lot of times, my swings are always different speeds. My coach told me to work on my tempo, something like "1-2-3-Go" during the backswing, which I've been working on. At the range today I hit like 50 balls, and around 45 were right where I was aiming, but some hooks and slices. My question is, can tempo cause a hook/slice?

In the carry bag:
'07 Burner 10.5 Driver (S Flex)
Hyper X 5 Wood
J33CB 4-PW Irons (S Flex)
Vokey 54-10 Spin Milled Watson 08 60 Lob Wedge G5i Blade

I play on a HS golf team, and lately, I've been shooting 45-48 on 9, but with the occasion explosions, like 56. I know a lot of times, my swings are always different speeds. My coach told me to work on my tempo, something like "1-2-3-Go" during the backswing, which I've been working on. At the range today I hit like 50 balls, and around 45 were right where I was aiming, but some hooks and slices. My question is, can tempo cause a hook/slice?

yes, tempo is very important for your timing. Being too quick or too slow can cause hooks and slices. Every person has a different tempo though. Ernie Els has a much slower tempo than Nick Price for example. You have to find a tempo that feels comfortable to you. The tempo mirrors ones personality. More quiet introverted guys usually have slow tempos while someone that is emotional, outgoing etc... has a quick tempo.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

Ah, I have a quicker tempo, it's normally a 1.5 backswing when I do it right, and I'm pretty outgoing so it makes sense.

In the carry bag:
Hyper X 5 Wood

I had the same problem with my tempo.
Making swing (hitting the ball) with only your right hand helps a lot. I always start my warm-up with this exercise.

In my Bag:
Driver Big Bertha FT-3 Draw 10° Stiff Flex
Wood #3 Speed LD Stiff Flex
Iron #2 X-12 Steel Uniflex
Irons ZB #3-PW Steel R 300 ShaftWedge С-С Vokey Design Wedge 56.11 Putter Rossa Daytona 6

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I agree. Get that book. It will change your life.

907D2 driver and 906D4 3 wood
Idea Pro Gold 3 4 5 hybrids
Apex Plus 6 7 8 9 E irons
900 52 gap 56 sand 60 lob wedges
Rossa Suzuka Putter

I'm working hard to hopefully get my handicap down to a 10 by the end of the season, and I think my tempo might drop a good 3 strokes per 9, since I have around 5 or 6 terrible iron shots, that go like 30 feet and to the right. I know it's gotta be tempo, because my coach says I do most things right expect my swing count.

I used to lift up my front foot a little, baseball style.

In the carry bag:
Hyper X 5 Wood

The tempo mirrors ones personality. More quiet introverted guys usually have slow tempos while someone that is emotional, outgoing etc... has a quick tempo.

Wow, that statement seems so true and I never thought of that. Im going through all my buddies that I golf with and myself and Its dead on accurate

DRIVER: R7 460 Draw - 10.5* R Flex 55g
WOODS Taylormade R11 15* , Big Bertha 4w
HYBRID Taylormade Burner Rescue 19*, Taylormade R11 5 Hybrid
IRONS Mizuno Mx-200 4-GW WEDGES CG14 56* PUTTER Sabertooth 34"

Reading this thread has just helped me out a bunch. I have never done a count in my head to keep good tempo and just tryed it at the range. This was very helpful in consistancy.

What was more helpful was working with 3/4 swings. So if my full swing count is a 4 count to the top of backswing I stop @ 3 for a 3/4 swing.

Don't know why i never thought of a tempo count.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

Tempo and Alignment are my keys. If my alignment is bad, (too closed) I have to be quicker at the top and hit pulls. If I have good alignment I can have a good transition.

Tempo effects timing, and timing effects direction/contact/everything golf related.

Brian

yes, tempo is very important for your timing. Being too quick or too slow can cause hooks and slices. Every person has a different tempo though. Ernie Els has a much slower tempo than Nick Price for example. You have to find a tempo that feels comfortable to you. The tempo mirrors ones personality. More quiet introverted guys usually have slow tempos while someone that is emotional, outgoing etc... has a quick tempo.

Ernie els only swing 3 frames slower than Nick Price, and he swings faster than Greg Norman and 1997 Tiger! Ernie's backswing takes 24 frames to complete, Nick's takes 21 Greg's takes 25, Tiger's took 27. A lot of people mistake smooth for slow.

Ignore the plane lines. It's the only non slow mo video I could find

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!