IGNORED

Where does the money on the PGA Tour come from?

Zeph
Note: This thread is 4059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The prize money has increased a lot over the last 10 years, but where do they come from? Why is there so much money in golf? I understand football and american football where you've got tens of thousands spectators every week, but there aren't that many people at a golf tournament. Is the sponsors an important piece in golf? Do they generate so much money from equipment that it's almost granted they sponsor the game?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The prize money has increased a lot over the last 10 years, but where do they come from? Why is there so much money in golf?

Thee are important clues in the names of the tournaments:

HP Byron Nelson AT&T; National U.S. Bank Milwaukee Shell Houston Open WGC-Bridgestone Invitational The Barclays Travelers Championship Crowne Plaza Invitational BMW Championship Deutsche Bank Championship Zurich Classic etc. etc.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Other than the majors, I can't think of a golf tournament that doesn't have it's major sponser listed in the title--unfortunately, it's probably just a matter of time until you see the Chik-Fil-A Masters. I predict massive drops in TV revenue as more people obtain their video media from other sources.

And on the LPGA, the sponser is listed (except for the US Open). Weetabix or RICOH British Open. Kraft-Nabisco. McDonald's LPGA Championship.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

LMAO

No, you and your children have to pay for it later.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

The prize money has increased a lot over the last 10 years, but where do they come from? Why is there so much money in golf? I understand football and american football where you've got tens of thousands spectators every week, but there aren't that many people at a golf tournament. Is the sponsors an important piece in golf? Do they generate so much money from equipment that it's almost granted they sponsor the game?

The television contract is the main reason the prize money has increased over the years. It's the Tiger Woods effect. The sponsors of the tournament then contribute a significant portion. The gate is mostly used to donate money to a local charity at each weeks tour stop. Equipment companies have no effect on tournament prizes, they pay players directly for using their products then buy advertising time from the broadcast networks.

The Masters and US Open generate a lot of their money from merchandise sales.
  • Upvote 1

Rob Tyska

i understand football and american football where you've got tens of thousands spectators every week, but there aren't that many people at a golf tournament.

Here is the explination. Golf has a higher percentage of higher income households, so even though it doesn't attract as many fans it is a good vehicle for advertisers targeting higher income customers. There is a reason Beer companies sponser football games, and premium liquor companies sponser golf tournaments.

None

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Referring to the jolt in revenue I agree with Remy it's because of Tiger Woods. A lot of companies wanted to buy into the hype.

R9 10.5 Aldila Voodo Stiff
S9-1 3W Stiff
Baffler 20 Degree
AP2 (3-PW) KBS Stiff
Vokey Design (52,56,60) Redwood

Ah that would be my luck. I'd win just one PGA tournament in my entire life and the trophy would say "Preparation H Cup champion".

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

• 3 years later...
Originally Posted by Dr Mikey

I will make a wild guess based upon your spelling: You are not a golf fan, but instead are inclined to football and beer.  I'm correct, right?

Nice first post.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Originally Posted by Dr Mikey

I will make a wild guess based upon your spelling: You are not a golf fan, but instead are inclined to football and beer.  I'm correct, right?

Your first post to the Sand Trap and this is what you decided to contribute?   Welcome to the forum.....I think.

I can't wait to see if his second post is as thoughtful as the first......:-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

I can't wait to see if his second post is as thoughtful as the first......

I hope his second post includes an explanation of how the heck he decided to post on that thread.

What...did he end up here as a result of some odd Google search and actually go to the trouble of creating an ID just to say that?

And please tell me he's not really in the medical field.

I may have to stop telling people I was in the medical field if this is happens much more.  :-)

Originally Posted by Zeph

Every stop on Tour has to have a "naming" sponsor which foots much of the bill.  Any tournament which loses their primary sponsor is required to shop for another one or lose the tournament.  That happened to the International at Castle Pines when Sprint dropped it's sponsorship.  They tried for 2 years to replace them without success, and the PGA Tour dropped the tournament like a hot potato.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Harmonious

At least he posted to a thread that was only 3 1/2 years old, so he's got that working for him...

Which is nice...

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Fourputt

Every stop on Tour has to have a "naming" sponsor which foots much of the bill.  Any tournament which loses their primary sponsor is required to shop for another one or lose the tournament.  That happened to the International at Castle Pines when Sprint dropped it's sponsorship.  They tried for 2 years to replace them without success, and the PGA Tour dropped the tournament like a hot potato.

Tampa lost its sponsorship for the event in March. Transition Lenses was the sponsor for the last couple of years.   We just lost our Champions Tour event (April). It would suck to lose this PGA event as well.  At least we know that Arnie's event over in Orlando won't be cancelled (MasterCard) - gotta get my fix of seeing golf in person at least once or twice a year.

Note: This thread is 4059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!