IGNORED

why does my driver twist over in my hands?

Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

this happens to me once every 10 or so drives. i hit the ball, and the club turns in my hands and i end up duck hooking it off the golf course. what am i doing wrong? i'm pretty positive my grip isn't too tight/loose. this happens mostly when i try to draw the ball.

this happens to me once every 10 or so drives. i hit the ball, and the club turns in my hands and i end up duck hooking it off the golf course. what am i doing wrong? i'm pretty positive my grip isn't too tight/loose. this happens mostly when i try to draw the ball.

Might need larger grips? Or maybe sweaty hands are causing the club to slip?

If it's sweaty hands causing it, try carrying a travel-sized bottle of baby powder, and periodically put some on your hands to keep them dry. I started carrying it a month or two back, and it's made a big difference in keeping my hands dry.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I used to have this problem, but with all of my clubs. A better grip, less pressure and being less handsy with the club solved it for me.

If it mostly happens when you try to draw it, what do you do different? Many conciously flip their hands to draw it, maybe that's the reason.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most likely you are hitting the ball off center on the driver face, which is torquing the driver over and turning the shaft in your hands.
In my bag:
- SQ Sumo2 10.5* Driver with stiff shaft
- Rapture 13* 3 Wood
- i3+ Blades
- 52* Gap Wedge- 56* Vokey Sand Wedge- 60* Vokey Lob Wedge- White Hot XG Marxman Mallet with 35" shaft

Most likely you are hitting the ball off center on the driver face, which is torquing the driver over and turning the shaft in your hands.

Bingo.

My best guess is you are hitting it out on the toe of the driver.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I've been getting this lately when either as said above I hit off the toe of the driver or when i setup my grip wrong. I've just noticed this problem lately where as the clubs get longer i've been unconciously shifting my grip to the left so when I swing down my hands come way over and close the face. Ends up with some nasty chunked shots on the fairway.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

• 3 years later...

I've been having the same problem...but I've realized I don't have sweaty hands and I even added a larger grip to my driver.  It only happens when I am using my driver and my 3 wood.  I thought the club was twisting in my backswing, but I finally realized it was the fact that in my backswing I was keeping the face of the driver shut facing up to the sun, rather than at a 45 degree angle. When the club face ends up facing the sun, when I bring it back to square with the ball, the club face stays shut...therefore creating the illusion of twisting... I would compensate for this in my swing by bringing my hands forward of the golf ball and it would cause a duck hook.  Hope this helps.  Here is a link that may help you understand it better.  Watch the video on the shut clubface.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/no-backswing-swing?page=2

Max

Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!