IGNORED

Adams - anyone giving them a second look after Watson's near win at The Open?

Note: This thread is 5392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have an Adams Iron set, and 60* wedge. I also have a three wood by them, it's amazing, I use it on lot's of tight fairways where a 240 yard 3 wood would be better then a 280 yard drive into the woods.

In the carry bag:
'07 Burner 10.5 Driver (S Flex)
Hyper X 5 Wood
J33CB 4-PW Irons (S Flex)
Vokey 54-10 Spin Milled Watson 08 60 Lob Wedge G5i Blade

I am wanting to replace my hybrid with an Adams a4 or a7.

909 D2 9.5* Voodoo
906 F4 15.5* UST V2
3DX DC 19* UST SR2
AP2 3-PW PX 5.5
Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.08 DG S300 Circa '62 no. 7 NXT TourWhite Tacki-Mac Itomic Career Low: 1 over par 71

Hard to beat Adams combination of technology, quality, and price.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Actually, Id say Nike was the bigger winner at the Open. Last time I checked, Stewart Cink is sponsored by Nike, not Adams.
Tom Watson's peformance was great, but it had much more to do with his skill and knowledge of the course than it did the clubs that were in his bag.
You could have given Watson any brand of clubs and the performance would have been the same.
Thats not to say that Adams doesnt make great clubs. They do. They always have and probably always will. However, its going to take far more than the performance of a tour pro to make me want to buy a set of them.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

adams has made solid clubs for a while

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

I am no closer to buying Adams equipment because of Tom Watson and his performance at the British Open than I am to not buying Callaway equipment because of Ernie Els and his performance at the US Open.

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I've been considering the Adams hybrids for a while - debating the 3 and 4. Was also considering the Nike SQ hybrids. Just before The Open, I won the SQ 3-hybrid on eBay for a steal. Put it into play today. I love it. Nike beat Adams into my bag. Mitsubishi shaft, of course. I'll give an Adams a try, especially with a Javln, especially if I can get a used one cheap on eBay first.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, not to put down adams, but a true golfer can hit a piece of **** club amazingly. However, I think they are now up there with TM, Callaway, Ping, etc. I'm thinking about getting the Insight XTD Irons at Dick's Sporting Goods to replace my Grandpa's hand-me-down Tommy Armour knockoffs. What are good irons that are 200 bucks or less for an improvement over what I've got? Pm me if you know something good.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

I'd say now would be a good time to buy a little Adams Golf stock.. Lets not forget Bernard Langard in the Champions Tour.. He is absolutely killing everyone with mostly Adams clubs.. Kudo's for Adams Golf for venturing out in the land of the forged and apparently doing quite well.

Always wondered why Ping hasn't tried out making a line of forged cluibs?

Funny, I just bought a set of Adams clubs off the Marketplace here on the forum for my dad, who is 63, but bought them a few days before the British Open, now I have I perfect intro for the new clubs when I give them to him, after all dad, if Tom Watson uses them, why not you?

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction." Ty Webb, Golf Philosopher

Don't see why the fact that Tom Watson uses them should matter to me considering them. Tiger wins all the time, I still don't use Nike irons.
Playing well, a PGA pro can pretty much win with anything, still doesn't mean it's a set that fits you.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like Adams clubs, but it has nothing to do with what tour pro uses them. I am just getting back into golf after a 9 year lay off, but when I played before, the best club in my bag was an Adams Tight Lies 3 Wood. I plan to buy one again soon. I also have my eye on the Wedge Set. None of those decisions are made in stone yet, but they are my front runners.
Bag: VT3 Stand Bag
Driver: 10.5* Offset Driver
Fairway Wood: Offset 3 Wood
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS 20*
Irons: King Cobra II Oversize Irons 3 - PWWedges: Slingshot 4D SW 55*Putter: Crossbax 3.0 MalletBalls: Whatever I can find cheap.

I was going to add an Adams hybrid but they don't make the loft I would be interested in (14-15*) in any model.

Index 2.8
In the bag: Rapture V2 10.5, Ping G10 Hybrids (18/21/24), Ping i10s (5-PW), Ping Tour Wedges (52/56/60), Ping Anser, TM Burner ball, Golf Guru GPS

I have tried Adams hybrids several times and I just can't hit with them to save my life. Yesterday, we went to the local range and I tried one again ( I can't stand simulators). Some shots I hit well, but many I felt like I was hitting the heel of the club. I know its me and not the club, but somehow I just could not get comfortable with it.

I then tried out a Cobra Baffler and was hitting near perfect on-target shots with every swing. Switch back to the adams and I'm skulling them again. So somehow the adams club just isn't suited to my crappy swing.

Meanwhile, my wife is in the market for a fairway wood. She was trying every brand out there. She was loving the adams fairway wood. In fact, with that one, it was like she couldn't do anything wrong.

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

If you think ADAMS is 2nd tier, your one of the very few.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Don't see why the fact that Tom Watson uses them should matter to me considering them. Tiger wins all the time, I still don't use Nike irons.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy them for you then. And, yes, I understand that a PGA pro can probably win with about any club and that not every brand fits every golfer but let's face it, the pros get paid endorsement deals for a reason, so that people associate them with a brand.

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction." Ty Webb, Golf Philosopher

Note: This thread is 5392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!