IGNORED

There is hope to becoming a 300 yard hitter

Note: This thread is 5334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The best chance any of us have in getting a 300 yard drive is getting the Hammer driver.

Actually there is a new Hammer-X, supposed to be even longer and more accurate than the original. I'm serious saw the infomercial yesterday. Sadly no more Pow in this one.

ogio.gifedge bag
titleist.gifdriver 10.5* 907D1, 15* 906f2, 18* 906f2
wilson_staff.gif21* hybrid, 3-PW PI7, TW9 wedges
wilson_staff.gif: 8802, 8813, or Arnold Palmer Original
wilson_staff.gifX1 or 50

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the Hammer and Hammer-X is sucky. If it wasn't sucky then why would they bother coming out with the X?

I have had a really good year for distance actually. Last year was my first year breaking 300. I hit drove a ball 315 yrds with a 3 wood on a par 5. I had a golf pro actually give the bad advice of "well if 3W is working then stick with 3W". I talked to a bunch of other people that said that's bad advice so I started working hard with my driver. Now I hit it 270-280 consistently. With wind and hills helping me I've hit it 300 yrds several times. Earlier in the season I hit my longest drive at 321 yards! 2 years ago I was a high handicapper with a terrible swing that got me 180 yards at most. There is hope, just get your form down and you'll have it. If you need inspiration and you think you don't have the power...look at Tom Watson.

I know how good of a feeling it is. I went Monday for 9 holes and I hit one about 290 and even my shortest was about 260 or so. The 290 was on a short 301 yard par 4 and my drive was about 5 yards off the green. I used to hit about 240 average with a nasty slice so now that I'm hitting em' dead on straight I guess it makes sense that they're approaching 300 yards every now and then.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

my longest drives have been at the range, i guess im more relaxed there and dont really focus on anything but getting a straight shot. My slice goes about 170-200 yds and it's horrendous at times, however over the years my drives have been moving closer to the center and along with that extra yardage. Today at the range i made 2 adjustments, tightened my right hand grip and moved the ball back about 2 inches in my stance and hit half a bucket of balls 275+ with a fade. With two of the straightest shots I got a good bounce out close to the 300 yrd pin. I must say my confidence shot up bigtime, mainly due to the driver being my major weakness, I almost gave it up at one time in favor of just hitting the 3w off the tee.

I went to the range today and it was just nuts. I was putting my drives out there near 300, my 3 wood was going 250, and my 5 wood was going 230. I used to rarely hit my drives that far, now I'm just bombing it flat out.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

Today I hit my first 300yd 5 iron!!!

Then I watched Tiger hit a 317yard driver and Vjay hit it 290 at the PGA and I thought about all the "long" hitters on this forum...made me

Enough, you dont hit it 300yds, you dont carry it 290..blah,blah,blah..

Try getting your handicap below a 25 and then worry about distance...come to the Cape and I will give you 18 shots, yes that's one a shot a hole, and will smoke you and your 300yd drives!

Sorry, it's been building up!

• Administrator
come to the Cape and I will give you 18 shots, yes that's one a shot a hole, and will smoke you and your 300yd drives!

That good for me too? And what if I do hit one 300 when we're playing together?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

to the original poster.

I'm 40 as well and I hope I still have some nice long drives left to play.....

Congrats on crushing one. I'm sure more will follow. I've been doing the same thing as far as relaxing over the ball.....no tension....really helps.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

tiger was bombing 366 yrd drives with ease today... 300 5w...
why do some ppl believe 300 is still impossible for non tour players?
i see guys bomb balls way farther than me... some good players... some not so good...
im happy i have a decent short game... but im striving to get longer off the tee
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Nicely put, and he still lost. I would like to hit a drive that long but I think people in general still (despite the stats!) forget how important the short game and putting are.

-P

- Pat

41 yrs. old, 3rd year playing and learning!
In my beginner bag:
--------------------------Driver/3W/3H - Nike Sumo SQ4H - TaylorMade Rescue5 iron - PW 2008 Callaway BB w/iBridsLW/SW/GW - 2010 Cleveland CG15Putter - 2008 Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7---------------------------

If you are driving it that far with a 10 handicap is your short just not there? I'm just asking because 280 to 330 you can't be playing more than wedge into many greens?

I disagree.

Before I lowered my handicap from 10- 5 I could hit the ball just as far as I do now, sometimes farther Problem was I had an extreme in to out swing and I played the ball back in my stance, which was amazing when I timed one right and hit a low powerful draw that went forever. Problem was most times i'd either push it right, or hook it left. Penalty strokes and chips outs from the woods add up quick. Now I'm happy with 270-280 with a high ball flight played off my front foot with no lefts and my miss is now a fade or slight push which might only go 240 now, but it's still in between the trees. Having said that I almost qualified for local long drive competition with a drive of 330 and I can get my swing speed up to high 120's when swinging for pure distance. I think there are a lot of short ball knockers who are simply jealous and truly think it's so difficult to hit it 300 yards as well as those who hit it 250 and think they hit it 300. But to say that somebody that can hit it 300 should automatically be less than a 10 hdcp is just rubbish.

DRIVER: 905r 8.5 UST V2 75 X
3 WOOD: 906f2 15 UST 85 X
HYBRID/IRON: Rapture Hybrid/3 Iron
IRONS: MX 200 Dynamic Gold X100
WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

I've only been able to get 200-210 out of my drive all season. I just hit my first 240 to 250 yd drive a couple of days ago (new driver). If I could get 230 - 250 regularly (and I am hoping I now will be able to) I'll be ecstatic. Qick story though...

My 3 golf buddies and I decided that this year we would have a little 3 day tournament amongst ourselves.. 1st day from the tips, 2nd day from the men's and third day from the women's. All three of them are fairly long hitters... I'd say they average 250 to 280 and all are capable of the odd 300 yd drive. I won this tourney on the first day by simply not worrying about distance. I played my own game, hit everything down the middle and kept the ball in play. Only missed the fairway with my driver on 1 hole.

I've had my times were I've fought with distance... let it bother me. Not any more. Consistency is my goal. Sure I'd like to be longer but I don't feel I need to be 300 yds long. Just give me a legitimate shot at a gir and I'm a happy camper.

Congrats on the drive though. It must have felt good and it does inspire to know that we can continue to get better, not just with the driver but with all parts of the game. Thanks for posting.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

Everyone can be a 300 yard hitter if they just buy the HAMMMER!!!!

POW!!!!!!!

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Note: This thread is 5334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!