IGNORED

Rules Question - Marking ball on the green...

TheGeekGolfer
Note: This thread is 5385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use a water beetle, and hope it crawls its way closer to the cup.

How about a wind-up car toy from my kid's Happy Meal? Surely no one would notice.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Your foot and your putter aren't sitting still. The idea behind marking your ball is that something is not moving at every step of the process. Your ball's sitting there, you leave a mark, you pick up your ball.

Oh, I understand this, and I presume this is why they warn that using a coin-like object in the standard fashion is the recommended procedure. But they specifically call out using the toe of your putter being a permitted but discouraged option in the ruling.

It seems to me that the rule permits any object to be used as the marker (there is, after all, no definition of "ball-marker" in the rules that I'm aware of: ruling 20-1/16 specifically points out that the Note at the end of rule 20-1 is merely a suggestion). If you cause it to move other than in the act of placing it, then you are subject to the one-stroke penalty. Given that, I would think anything inanimate would suffice as a ball marker under the rules. If you choose to use your shoe and your foot is still inside it, you're responsible for keeping it still. And, actually, I'm not completely certain that inanimate is technically required. There is a ruling covering lifting of your marker by an outside agency. I guess that water beetle you're marking with is an outside agency moving himself across the green toward the hole. Unfortunately, ruling 20-1/9 suggests you have to place your ball back at its original position. Obviously there are good reasons to use a coin-like object in the standard fashion, but from my reading of the rules and rulings, virtually everything suggested here seems permissible, if risky. Ok, I'd say the water beetle is probably over the edge...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I've read the USGA rules for marking the ball on the green and even had a spirited discussion with my best friend once when he said I 'had to' use a flat coin or marker and couldn't use a tee to mark my ball on the green.

The Rules allow you to use the

toe of the putter to mark your ball, although they do not recommend it. Using the flat side of the putter would be a very questionable practice at best, one that could be called to question. I wouldn't do it. The rules say that anything used to help your alignment must be removed prior to making your stroke. By using your putter in such a way, you are not removing your alignment device (you are instead using it to make your stroke), and in my opinion you are thus risking a penalty. Finally, yes you must have your ball marked any time you are touching the ball.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh, I understand this, and I presume this is why they warn that using a coin-like object in the standard fashion is the recommended procedure. But they specifically call out using the toe of your putter being a permitted but discouraged option in the ruling.

The object of marking the exact place of a ball is to be able to replace it on that very same spot. Bearing this in mind it would be easier to understand which kind of objects are allowed and which are not.

Using a putter toe is not all specifically described in the Decision referred earlier. It does not state that the putter must not be held by the player or needs to be lying on the ground (which in my opinion would be the right way in order to avoid any discussions about putter staying still during marking). This leaves some room for interpretation. However, the main thing is to be able to replace the ball with no doubt it has been replaced at the very same spot it was lifted from. Using an object more arbitrary than a 'small object', such as a bag or a shoe would propably compromise this very principle. So to be on the safe side I would not try to strech the rule but use an ordinary coin or similar.

Using an object more arbitrary than a 'small object', such as a bag or a shoe would propably compromise this very principle. So to be on the safe side I would not try to strech the rule but use an ordinary coin or similar.

Oh, I wouldn't either. However, that's different from it being against the rules. Given that the USGA goes to great care to differentiate between the rule ("you must mark your ball") and the recommended practice ("you should use a coin-like marker"), it seems like we should at least be aware of the actual rule.

In the bag:

If you were to ground your putter right behind the ball, and then move the ball, wouldn't that be similar to when you see the pros ground their putter on a windy day and then the balls move a tiny bit....and subsequently they are assessed a penalty. I can see placing the club anywhere else, but to hold it in an upright position with the clubface lined up on the desired putting line and the sole grounded, would seem to define addressing the ball...unless that means you also need to be standing in your putting stance.

I'm not placing the putter 'behind the ball', but to the left of the ball, with the putter face parallel to my line of putt.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

The rules say that anything used to help your alignment must be removed prior to making your stroke. By using your putter in such a way, you are not removing your alignment device (you are instead using it to make your stroke), and in my opinion you are thus risking a penalty.

um ok... then I guess you can't have any alignment marks on your putter / ball at all? Don't all putters have alignment aids? I am removing it as an alignment device, since it has been rotated and now is behind the ball. I've seen players put their club on the ground or hold it across their chest to help alignment. Then they use that club to take the stroke. Is that a penalty? - NO

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

• Administrator
I'm not placing the putter 'behind the ball', but to the left of the ball, with the putter face parallel to my line of putt.

The simple fact remains that the "marker" is supposed to guarantee that you can put the ball back in the same position, and if you move your putter at all - you sneeze or just plain drop it or whatever - you're now uncertain where your ball should be placed.

Better to just avoid it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ive seen all kinds of ball marks... a frizbee and a hubcap... lol
lots of ppl i play with use tees stuck in the ground... and also repair tools stuck in the ground...
its pretty difficult with all the gear we have that ballmarks can be that scarce...
some gloves have removeable buttons... some bags even have ball markers...
change from the beercart cuties... tees... repair tools...
heck in one of the pockets of my bag i have a ton of crap that can be used as a marker
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

um ok... then I guess you can't have any alignment marks on your putter / ball at all? Don't all putters have alignment aids? I am removing it as an alignment device, since it has been rotated and now is behind the ball. I've seen players put their club on the ground or hold it across their chest to help alignment. Then they use that club to take the stroke. Is that a penalty? - NO

I can see nothing wrong with using this method as long as it does not take up any extra time. The rules definately do not forbid it. You may not touch the line of putt, in front of the ball ,but to the side is fine,though not recommended.

I can see nothing wrong with using this method as long as it does not take up any extra time. The rules definately do not forbid it. You may not touch the line of putt, in front of the ball ,but to the side is fine,though not recommended.

Two things.

First, one may touch the line of putt with the club in front of the ball, see Rule 16-1a(ii). Second, using putter as a ball-mark is IMHO normally used to speed up the game (or lazyness, and especially....) instead of delaying it. Personally I cannot understand using a putter in the manner described before, as to me it does not constitute 'marking the place of the ball accurately'. Why would anyone actually do that? Ball-marks are normally amply available.

Why would anyone actually do that? Ball-marks are normally amply available.

To stick it to the MAN. YEAH!

In the bag:

Ball-marks are normally amply available.

I agree. I've yet to play a course that didn't have those free plastic ball markers and divot tools right beside the score cards and pencils. Even our little Par 3 course has those.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

Note: This thread is 5385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!