IGNORED

World Amateur Handicap Tournament

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone ever play in this annual event in Mrytle Beach?

Was looking at the site the other day and I see the number of players is way down compared to prior years.

I know that long slow rounds are common at this event, just wondering if the smaller turnout might improve that aspect.

Have no belief in making it to the final but it looks interesting.

http://www.worldamgolf.com/results/

In my Bag

4LM 12 Degree

AP1 5-G Rosa putter

I have never played in it, but I have a friend that has played the last 4 years or so. I asked him about the participation and he stated it wasnt uncommon to have numbers improve dramatically about 2 weeks prior. Plus the economy doesnt help much. It sounds like an awesome event, and the cost isnt so bad either considering all that is included.

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

• 3 years later...
I'll be playing in this for the first time this August. Just wondering if anyone else on here will be playing and may be in the same flight as me?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll be playing in this for the first time this August. Just wondering if anyone else on here will be playing and may be in the same flight as me?

Nobody? Hmmmm.

I imagine that tournaments like this can be a lot of fun- sorta like Nationals for Nastar Ski Racing.

While being able to play a different course under pressure certainly helps, it seems like whoever wins a handicap tournament of this nature likely deserves the title of biggest sandbagger (unless they play a course that is drastically mis-rated or have improved a lot in a very short time period.

Still fun to compete and meet new people- enjoy!

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Quote:
Swearing, vulgar language, club throwing, alcohol abuse, lack of etiquette may result in disqualification.

I have been preemptively disqualified apparently.

On a serious note that looks like fun if you just want to have fun. If you want to compete I think handicap cheats would get frustrating.

James

No sandbagging at that one! ;-) Sounds like fun though. :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by jwkde

Anyone ever play in this annual event in Mrytle Beach?

Was looking at the site the other day and I see the number of players is way down compared to prior years.

I know that long slow rounds are common at this event, just wondering if the smaller turnout might improve that aspect.

Have no belief in making it to the final but it looks interesting.

http://www.worldamgolf.com/results/

I will be playing in the World Am again this year.  It will be my 26th consecutive year.  There are over 3000 players signed up so far this year.  That is really about average.  Years ago, the event got upwards towards 5k players, really more than the event could handle IMHO.  It is a lot of fun even considering the fact that the time of year it is played is prime time Atlantic tropical season.  The event tends to get a lot of rain so you have to realize that in tournament golf, unless there is standing water on the greens or lightning...you continue playing.

For people who do not have an established handicap, you actually have till the mid-August handicap revision to establish a handicap.  It can be done but you have to play a lot of golf in the next 20 or so days and get those scores posted.

Since you have to play "real golf", putting everything out, playing by the rules, playing unfamiliar courses...don't expect 4 hours rounds.  It just ain't gonna happen.  First day, Monday, rounds are generally 5hours or maybe a little longer.  Everyone is still in the hunt first day so it just takes longer.  Usually each round tends to be a little quicker than the day before.  But, again, it is tournament golf so it is never quick.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by RickK

I will be playing in the World Am again this year.  It will be my 26th consecutive year.  There are over 3000 players signed up so far this year.  That is really about average.  Years ago, the event got upwards towards 5k players, really more than the event could handle IMHO.  It is a lot of fun even considering the fact that the time of year it is played is prime time Atlantic tropical season.  The event tends to get a lot of rain so you have to realize that in tournament golf, unless there is standing water on the greens or lightning...you continue playing.

For people who do not have an established handicap, you actually have till the mid-August handicap revision to establish a handicap.  It can be done but you have to play a lot of golf in the next 20 or so days and get those scores posted.

Since you have to play "real golf", putting everything out, playing by the rules, playing unfamiliar courses...don't expect 4 hours rounds.  It just ain't gonna happen.  First day, Monday, rounds are generally 5hours or maybe a little longer.  Everyone is still in the hunt first day so it just takes longer.  Usually each round tends to be a little quicker than the day before.  But, again, it is tournament golf so it is never quick.

It says on the site you must have an established handicap by the July 15th. Are you telling me if I contact them I can get that extended. From what I have read it's 5 rounds to establish a handicap. I can get that done in 3 weeks top lol.

James

Originally Posted by David in FL

No sandbagging at that one!

The same guy won the event twice in a row (2010 and 2011).  Truly an amazing streak of luck to shoot better than one's handicap every day against 3,000 opponents for two consecutive years.

Brian Kuehn

The same guy won the event twice in a row (2010 and 2011).  Truly an amazing streak of luck to shoot better than one's handicap every day against 3,000 opponents for two consecutive years. a2_wink.gif

Yeah, but that's not how the event works. You play in a flight of about 48 players. You need to beat those 48 players in the first 4 rounds to make it to the final day. On the final day, you face off against the other flight winners. So, you don't have to beat out 3000 players to win. You have to beat out the 50 players in your flight over 4 rounds, then you need to beat the other 10-15 flight winners in your division. Having said that... I do find it quite impressive that the same man won it back to back in 2010 and 2011. He was playing off a 2 index however, so it's not like he was claiming a 20 handicap and shooting 75's. My understanding is that the one thing this tourney does very well is weed out sandbaggers. They are pretty thorough about the handicap process for players who have not played in the event previously and who do not have any official tourney scores in their last 20. They will quickly move you into a different flight and adjust your handicap if you play too well for your claimed index.

Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo

It says on the site you must have an established handicap by the July 15th. Are you telling me if I contact them I can get that extended. From what I have read it's 5 rounds to establish a handicap. I can get that done in 3 weeks top lol.

Call them.  It has been done in the past.  Remember, I don't work for GolfHoliday who runs the event but if you talk to them, you might just get in. You have to join some club somewhere that can set you up for a handicap.  Again, they can talk to you about this.

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

They will quickly move you into a different flight and adjust your handicap if you play too well for your claimed index.

They cannot do this?  Different flights play different golf courses.  They can adjust you handicap or they can DQ you.  They cannot move you out of one flight and into another flight after the tournament starts.

They cannot do this?  Different flights play different golf courses.  They can adjust you handicap or they can DQ you.  They cannot move you out of one flight and into another flight after the tournament starts.

They will quickly "adjust" your handicap. There is a section about it on the home page.

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

They will quickly "adjust" your handicap. There is a section about it on the home page.

They do adjust handicaps and they do DQ players.  They just cannot move players out of one flight and into another as the player would have played on a different golf course(s) before being moved.

Let me know which Pizza Shop and will try to check you out in August while there.

They do adjust handicaps and they do DQ players.  They just cannot move players out of one flight and into another as the player would have played on a different golf course(s) before being moved.  Let me know which Pizza Shop and will try to check you out in August while there.

I'll PM you the name and location of the pizza shop. I'm attempting to take the week off in order to play in the tourney, so hopefully I won't be there. I only live about 5 minutes from the convention center where the 19th hole is located, so I hope to be there from 6-9pm each night.

Originally Posted by RickK

I'm pretty sure that some clubs will let you post recent past scores when you first sign up for a handicap, so that might be an option also.  IIRC, you can get a handicap with as little as 5 or 6 scores, but in that case they use only your 1 or 2 best rounds.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!