IGNORED

This is what I was told (handicap question)

nownot
Note: This thread is 5357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I just started playing golf this summer, took a few lessons at Hank Haney and just went at it. Right now my handicap is at 14, I was told this is "pretty damn impressive for a 1st year player without a golf background". Is this true? I suck and I'm a 14 ........ So my question is was this person full of it, or is 14 really that good? What is considered average for a beginner / amateur? Don't worry about hurting my feelings if 14 is bad. Thanks for any inputs.

Yes, very good, congrats! How have you been tracking your handicap?

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Yes, very good, congrats! How have you been tracking your handicap?

A iPhone app called GolfShots, and I also put my scores into an online calculator to double check.

The thing is I'm a member at this one course so I play it all the time. I need to get out and play other courses to make sure it's not me being accustomed to a particular course.

14 is incredible for just starting to play a few months ago...

It took me 3 years and A LOT of practice to get to the 9.7 I'm at right now.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

If you are just starting to play and you can play bogey golf then I would say that is very good and that is an 18 handicap.

And it is all relative. Do you think its good?

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

If you are just starting to play and you can play bogey golf then I would say that is very good and that is an 18 handicap.

I hit some good shots, but I'm very inconsistent. I'm still tweaking my 3w and Driver so I get wild with those sometimes. But no, I think I still suck pretty bad, but practice and consistency is my summer plans.

14 for only playing a couple months is pretty incredible. I'm at an 8 after a year(which some people consider pretty good) but my first couple months I was nowhere near a 14. How much have you played to get there? I play every weekday it's not raining or snowing year round. That's what helped me so much.

Driver 2007 Burner 10.5
Hybrid 3DX RDC 3 Iron
Irons Di7 4-GW Irons
Wedges American Open 60*
Putter Black MaxBalls AD333's

14 for only playing a couple months is pretty incredible. I'm at an 8 after a year(which some people consider pretty good) but my first couple months I was nowhere near a 14. How much have you played to get there? I play every weekday it's not raining or snowing year round. That's what helped me so much.

Both you guys are super-human. A buddy of mine and I are on our third year and we still are in our low 20s high teens

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Let me speak for those of us who've duffed around the course for a few years and still aren't tickling a 14 handicap when I say, first, congrats, that is very impressive. Second, damn you! Showoff

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction." Ty Webb, Golf Philosopher

Congrats 14 is good for your time playing. I was kind of the same i dropped down to around 14 in my first 6 months but have been playing for a year now and have hardly dropped it any more. And i only really play my local course the same as you.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.

wow very good. i've been playing off and on for 5 or 6 years and am teetering on 20. only gotten really serious a couple months ago though.

I'll start by saying that I think 14 is pretty good and especially good if you've just started. Congratulations.

Now I have to sound a little like an ass:
You must play fairly regular, you've taken lessons at Haney and you are on a golf forum. I find it hard to believe that you don't realize that 14 is a great handicap for a beginner. So...your comment seems a bit show offy.

It's also a little offensive. I don't get to play a ton, but regular. I don't really have time for practice but I've taken a few lessons. I work harder than the "average" golfer but not as hard as probably most the people on this forum at my game. Still, I think my game is decent. To go on about how your "a hack" and "you suck" is a bit condescending to the rest of us mid to high cappers.

Anyway...keep up the good work. Sounds like you have a natural game and you should be into the singles digits soon.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

How many scores make up that 14? Do you count every card. If you go get out of control do you count the score?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Statistically, only 1% of the US golfing population will ever break 100.
You're in the 99th percentile. Good on ya!

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• Administrator
Statistically, only 1% of the US golfing population will ever break 100.

I don't think that's anywhere close to correct.

Let's take only a 25 handicapper, who will break 100 a chunk of the time. of those with handicaps, about 90% of them have a 25 handicap or better: http://www.usga.org/handicapping/art...dicap-Indexes/ I don't think the number of people without handicap indeces is so much greater that it can turn 90% into 1%, and that would assume nobody without a handicap breaks 100.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!