IGNORED

What is your club's policy on divots?

Shorty
Note: This thread is 5352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is your club's policy with regard to divot repair?

• Replace the divot.
    • Do not replace divot. Fill divot with sand.
    • Do not replace divot. Dig it in around the edges.
    • Do nothing at all - someone else's responsibility.
    • I am not aware of what my club expects.

What is your club's policy on divots?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What do you mean?...

Don't all golf courses ask you replace them?

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

What do you mean?...

Certainly not. Many clubs specifically ask you NOT to replace them because they say they don't grow back.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Place them atop your head like a coonskin cap.

---

Replace them in the fairway, fill with sand on teeboxes.
The sticks:
Driver: r5 10.5° Stiff N
3 wood: 980f 15°
Irons: RAC OS 4-9
Wedges: 48° & 56°, SV 60°Putter: TracyBall: NXT Tour

I have never played at a course that makes you replace the divot, but all have sand to fill them in with.

In my bag:

Driver: Rapture
FW Woods: T-Zoid
Irons: DCI Oversize +Wedges: Nicklaus Wedges (GW,AW,LW)Putter: Pure RollBall: Burner LDP

It depends. I didn't answer the poll because my answer isn't included. All of the carts at my home course have 2 bottles of sand/seed mix for filling divots, and that is the preferred method. But when there is no cart with a group, then they don't have the mix to fill in the divots with, so they are expected to replace divots as required.

Using the sand/seed mix is the preferred method because the grass actually grows back faster. A typical divot just dies if replaced... it is usually cut too shallow to have good root structure, so the grass just withers.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It depends. I didn't answer the poll because my answer isn't included. All of the carts at my home course have 2 bottles of sand/seed mix for filling divots, and that is the preferred method. But when there is no cart with a group, then they don't have the mix to fill in the divots with, so they are expected to replace divots as required.

My experience also; there wasn't enough options to choose from in the poll.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I've always wondered why we are supposed to put them back. Only reasonable explanation I can find is that if a ball stop on that perticular place, it will sit on a divot rather than a hole in the ground.

The grass won't keep growing, the roots are cut off. If anything, wouldn't putting the divot back block out the sun and prevent good growing conditions? Filling it with sand sounds like the most reasonable thing to do in my eyes. Though, it would block out the sun too, but perhaps that is not a problem as long as the grass is growing. I'm no botanist, but my guess would be that the roots won't keep growing or re-attach themselves to the roots still in the ground. The divot you place on top will only cover it up and probably be moved when the grass is cut anyways.

Will it grow quicker filled with sand, can replacing the divot cause it to grow slower?

Most courses here don't have carts, I don't ride them anyways, so the sand option is hardly an option. They do have sand on the tee boxes.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Mine is replace divot but since I am a member of a Muni. most people don't replace or fix the greens. Heck I even seen a couple young guy park on the fringe of the green with there carts. I try to replace as best I can and fix extra on the putting greens. I figure I will help as much as i can until I can afford to go to the better club in my town hopefully after next year.

Generally I replace a divot to the extent I can find the parts, and then pour sand around to fill the remaining empty places. When repairing with sand, the custom around here is: "fill your divot and one other" to help out the course. Looking around the web, the consensus seems to be that replacing the divot is a better healing action than not replacing it.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

Replace the divot in the fairway, and use sand on the greens.

I hope you mean tee boxes instead of greens.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Certainly not. Many clubs specifically ask you NOT to replace them because they say they don't grow back.

I talked to a kid who's trying to get into golf course design. He's taking landscape architecture classes and all these different tree/grass classes. He says divots in the fairways grow back (unless they explode when you hit your ball). Divots in the rough or fringe along the fairways do not grow back. I've confirmed this with another person too (owns a landscaping business).

I was always told by courses to replace divots, so I do that. If they explode or turn into like 5 pieces, then I'll use sand. But, more than likely, I'm replacing divots.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Generally we replace the divot, we dont really use sand. When not possible, we just leave them and the greenkeeper staff goes over the course in regular timeframes to fill them up.

I read somewhere once, that you have to replace divots within a timeframe of a couple of hours, else they indeed wont grow back.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

no club ive played give me sand to replace the divots, but i try to replace them when i do find them.

My bag
R7 Draw Driver 9.0
Northwestern 3 wood
Texan 3/4 Hybrid 21 Degrees
Big Bertha 04 5-9 Irons Burner XD Wedges AW,SW,LW DFX 3300 Pro V1 & ProV1x Refurbs

• Administrator
He says divots in the fairways grow back (unless they explode when you hit your ball).

He's wrong 90% of the time. Almost nobody takes a deep enough divot to preserve the roots. You've just shaved off the grass - replace them and they die. The mowers will blow them up later.

I replace all divots, because it's better to be sitting atop dying grass than below grass level on dirt, and my course(s) don't offer sand mixes to fill in divots (or I'd do that).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!