IGNORED

Iron Recommendations

Note: This thread is 5375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I have gradually upgraded the clubs in my bag. Next on the list is a new set of irons. I am looking for something that I will be able to grow into and play with for several years. Something that will take me to a single-digit handicap. I am finding myself being drawn to Titleist AP1 and Mizuno MX 200. Although I began with the hacker's club of choice sort of by default I have a personal preference for traditional looking clubs. Price is not really a concern as they will most likely be a gift. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Driver: Burner 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha 15*
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19*
Irons: r7 4-PW
Wedges: CG 12 52* CG 12 56*Putter: White Hot Tour #1

I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I have gradually upgraded the clubs in my bag. Next on the list is a new set of irons. I am looking for something that I will be able to grow into and play with for several years. Something that will take me to a single-digit handicap. I am finding myself being drawn to Titleist AP1 and Mizuno MX 200. Although I began with the hacker's club of choice sort of by default I have a personal preference for traditional looking clubs. Price is not really a concern as they will most likely be a gift.

i would go for taylormade r7,titliest ap1 as you said,nike vr full cavatie,callaway x-22 i think those are the best just my opinion though

Ping G10's or i10's
Nike Victory Red Full Cavity/Split Cavity
Titleist AP2's (The thing about these and the Nike Vr's is that you could really start with a combo set, and as you progress, swap out a few irons for the more "player-oriented" irons
Cally X22's
Any Mizunos, possibly MX200, or MP-52's if you'd like

Out of those that I listed, I have hit both of the Pings I listed, all 3 versions of the Nike Victory Reds (full, splits, and blades) , and both Mizunos. I listed Titleist and Callaway based off of friends that play them and like them. Out of the ones that I have hit, if I knew I could wake up in the morning, and any one of those sets would magically appear in my bag, I wouldnt be disappointed with any one of them a single bit. Each had it's own unique look and feel, and all of them felt extremely nice on contact. I'm a little partial to Nike, and I'll probably end up with a Victory Red combo set in a month or so, but I would honestly play any of those without thinking twice about it. There's a ton of excellent equipment on the market today. Go hit as many as you can, have a good time, an open mind, and see what jumps out at you.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

My suggestions:

Callaway X-22's
Ping G10's
Titleist AP1's
Mizuno MP-57's

Can't go wrong with any of these sets.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I was afraid the Mizuno MP 52s or 57s might be too advanced for my abilities right now. How do they compare to the AP1s? I've hit those before.

I was afraid the Mizuno MP 52s or 57s might be too advanced for my abilities right now. How do they compare to the AP1s? I've hit those before.

I have never hit the AP1's, but I've heard only good things about them.

I've seen Iacas, who knows quite a bit about clubs, specifically Titleist, mention he thought they were an underrated set, and I tend to agree. I see a lot of people talk about the AP2's, but I think for a 17 handicap AP1's are the way to go. Everyone always talks about "irons they can grow into" but almost all irons unless they are super game improvement can be played even when your a single-digit handicap.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

taylormade burner irons tour preferred are absolutely incredible.. also titleist ap1 are nice too

Thanks a bunch. I like the AP1s a lot. I just didn't want to narrow my focus too quickly though. Iron shopping is not something I really want to do every couple of years.

I had the same kind of mindset for a while. Then I hit the Nike VR blades, and was hitting them every bit as well as I hit everything else. I'd say at least give them a demo. You'll know if it's not right for you.

And CG031, no love for the VR's??????

-  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I had the same kind of mindset for a while. Then I hit the Nike VR blades, and was hitting them every bit as well as I hit everything else. I'd say at least give them a demo. You'll know if it's not right for you.

The VR blades are sick. If I ever were to get new irons, they'd be on the top of my list to test.

But, the common misconception, at least I find on this forum, is that single digit handicappers, especially low ones, can not play with cavity backs or g.i. irons. This is simply a myth. I'm sure if you gave a 5 handicap AP1's he would do just find, which the O.P. is not going to grow out of his Titleist AP1's for a while if he were to get them, which is why I made the suggestion.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

The VR blades are sick. If I ever were to get new irons, they'd be on the top of my list to test.

Very true. I totally agree. I've often read about various tour players using cavity backs, and for whatever reason, people are blown away by that. What I was getting at was for him to go and hit everything he can, and not to be afraid to try a blade, if he wants to give them a shot. To me, it's so much fun trying out new stuff, you'd almost be selling yourself short if you didnt demo as many different clubs as possible.

I had always been told that blades are only for low handicappers, and once I finally tried one, I was shocked to find that it wasnt what I had expected (in a good way). But you are right, on the flip side of that, he definitely wouldnt out grow something like an AP1 either. And I was just messin with you about the VRs

-  -  - 

mizuno mp-57
ben hogan bh-5
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I play the Taylormade Tour Burner irons. They look and set up a little more like a "player's club", but offer forgiveness of game improvement irons. They have less offset than most, and the trajectory is "middle". I have been really pleased with them. IMO, the MOST important thing you can do, no matter what brand of irons you purchase, is to get fitted. That will easily make a huge difference for you.

I play the Taylormade Tour Burner irons. They look and set up a little more like a "player's club", but offer forgiveness of game improvement irons. They have less offset than most, and the trajectory is "middle". I have been really pleased with them. IMO, the MOST important thing you can do, no matter what brand of irons you purchase, is to get fitted. That will easily make a huge difference for you.

Do you know how the Tour Burners compare to the r7s?

My father and I are both loving our PING G5 and G10 irons and wedges. We both went with the AWT shaft and both were custom fitted.

I can't praise either of them enough.....easy to hit....high trajectory......1/2 club longer than our previous irons.....custom fitting makes working the ball so much easier as well.

They are both very simular irons....and both can be had for discounted prices now that the G15s are coming out. The G5s can be had for under $400 a set.....an amazing value, all things considered.

Lots of great choices out there....I can only recomend what I've tried. These work very well for me.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I have gradually upgraded the clubs in my bag. Next on the list is a new set of irons. I am looking for something that I will be able to grow into and play with for several years. Something that will take me to a single-digit handicap. I am finding myself being drawn to Titleist AP1 and Mizuno MX 200. Although I began with the hacker's club of choice sort of by default I have a personal preference for traditional looking clubs. Price is not really a concern as they will most likely be a gift.

I play the AP-1s. I also play the similar Wilson Staff Ci-7s, which I like a little bit more due to their even more traditional look. I like their squared off look better when compared to the more rounded look of the Titliest. Plus, I feel I get a little more distance out of them.

But, if you only want to know bout the AP-1s, I would say they are definitely a quality club whic would serve most 5-15 handicappers really well. I actually demoed them against the Mizunos when I bought them, so you know where I stand on that specific issue.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Srixon I-701 if you want something forged but with the forgiveness of a cavity back.

http://cloud.equipment.golf.com/imag...00/1012878.jpg

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

Do you know how the Tour Burners compare to the r7s?

Have actually not hit the R7's, but I believe the clubhead on the R7 is larger, with more off-set, and should deliver higher ball flight.

Note: This thread is 5375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!