IGNORED

Iron Covers

iacas
Note: This thread is 5311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you use iron covers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes (explain below)

Do people use them? A friend told me he uses them when on the course so the club heads don't clink against each other and cause scratches. The pro I took lessons with shook his head.

What do people do? Got myself a set of MX-950 + wedges to start with golf. I'm mostly on the driving range still and plan to go on a small nine hole par-3 course that's open to beginners.

Cheers,
Joerg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are traveling by plane, where your clubs are going to get thrown around a ton, avoid iron covers like the plague.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Nice handicap, by the way. You have to be kidding.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Nice handicap, by the way. You have to be kidding.

well... I don't have one and -- to be honest -- I wouldn't even know how to calculate it... Just started in the game and love practising my swing... the mechanics of it and all. Rest assured, as soon as I have a handicap, I'll post it. Why would I avoid head covers? I do understand I must not store the clubs with covers on so as to avoid moisture and the resulting corrosion. Is this what you mean?

No, what I meant is that they are silly looking and unprofessional. No doubt, iron covers will cut down on bag chatter, but if you don't ride a cart, your irons will not get nicked up that much and will look pretty new even after several years. I have a set of MP-14 forged blades that I have used nearly every round for the past 13 years and they look mint! If you ride a cart, your results may vary.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Why would I avoid head covers? I do understand I must not store the clubs with covers on so as to avoid moisture and the resulting corrosion. Is this what you mean?

Exactly, specially with Mizuno irons as they are forged from soft Carbon steel that will wear out quicker than cast steel irons.

My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Ive had my AP2's about a year, and they have so many dings and bangs in them they look like they are 10 years old. But it doesnt effect how they play whatsoever, so i think the iron headcovers are kind of a waste. The only reason i use headcovers at all is because a ding or scratch on my woods or hybrids can be distracting with the black glossy finishes on them.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Don't get the haters of iron covers. I personally hate the clanking noice and don't want my $700 irons dinged up any more than neccessary. I also notice that almost everyone has covers for their woods and hybrids. To each their own I guess.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I do use iron covers. Never did until this year, after purchasing the AP1s. I had heard, and witnessed, how easy they ding up and decided I'm going to sport the head covers for a while. Call me a wuss if you will, I just want to keep them looking nice for as long as possible. It's a shame they ding so easily, really.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I'd kick my own a$$ if i was sporting iron covers

I like my irons covered, I have some OCD working, I do not like the dings I get when putting them in the bag. I have played forged irons for a long time and I don't like to look at the top line and see a bunch of dings marks.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I use them when I store my clubs and they stay on when I throw them in the car/truck. when I get to the course they come off except the SW one. I keep that on there because I've grabbed my 60° when I really wanted my 54°, now with the cover on I don't make the mistake.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

I rock covers too...$700 irons are gonna be around for a while, why not keep them as nice as possible. As was mentioned before, covers are stock on woods, hybrids and putters...can someone explain the exception?? Not to mention that if my iron covers are bugging you...you should probably pay attention to your own bag.

In the Syncro...

Diablo 9.5* S
Diablo 15* S 3 Wood
Diablo 21* S Hybrid X-22 5-PW X-forged vintage 52*, 56*MD, 60*MD / CG White Hot XG 330 (currently the #1) B330-S and TP Red

have covers for transportation purposes like noted above. I will take them off once on the course, as I am too lazy to take them on and off during a round. Also I would probably lose them if I had them on on the course. Usually every 2 rounds I drop a headcover and have to go back a re-trace my steps to find it...

Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag

taylor made R9 460 - 10.5 | taylor made Burner Wood - 15 | callaway BB Heavenwood 3 Hybrid - 20 | nickent 3dx RC 4 Hybrid - 23 |mizuno MX300 5-PW | titleist SM Vokey - 50/54/58 | scotty cameron Fastback - 33'' | titleist NXT Tourhttp://www...

Not to mention that if my iron covers are bugging you...you should probably pay attention to your own bag.

Nice...I like that....next time someone gives me a hard time....I'm using this response. Thanks!

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I have to wonder how many people with badly dinged irons ride carts. My forged Mizunos, both sets, are not that dinged at all - much less than the MacGregors I just bought, 3rd hand. I worked at a few golf courses in my day and I could always tell by looking at someone's clubs if they walked or rode a cart most often.

In fact, I remember unloading a member's golf clubs when I first started at a country club in college. I asked him if he was riding or walking, and he said I must be new because he always rides. This member had the same irons as I was using, MP-14s, but I could barely recognize them they were so dinged up.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

No, what I meant is that they are silly looking and unprofessional. No doubt, iron covers will cut down on bag chatter, but if you don't ride a cart, your irons will not get nicked up that much and will look pretty new even after several years. I have a set of MP-14 forged blades that I have used nearly every round for the past 13 years and they look mint! If you ride a cart, your results may vary.

How is it "unprofessional" and "silly"?

Note: This thread is 5311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!