IGNORED

Worried, New to Golf

Titleistgolf16
Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok well I'm only 16 and have been golfing for about a month. I haven't golfed by myself. I always went with my uncle and dad. Well my uncle is back to work now and my dad only takes me once a week. I'm a little nervous to go out by myself. So should I just go out with my dad once a week or should I be less worried about going out by myself and just go?

Pro Titanium 905R w/ UST Proforce V2 7 stiff.
975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW
Not sure what name of SW mallet putter Pro V1x Ball Bag

Theres nothing to worry about, the best way to get better fast is by playing as much as possible and learning course management and etc. There are plenty of people your age that go out and play by themselves, as long as you are enjoying yourself I wouldnt worry about anything else.

don't be afraid to go out by yourself. Just make sure you are polite and you will be just fine.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

Theres nothing to worry about, the best way to get better fast is by playing as much as possible and learning course management and etc. There are plenty of people your age that go out and play by themselves, as long as you are enjoying yourself I wouldnt worry about anything else.

Ok well I will probably go out Monday and golf nine and if that goes well I'm gonna do 18 on Wednesday. I guess I just need encouragement.

975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW

First times the hardest :P just get it done once and its all down hill from there. It should be fine though. I'd say at least 90 percent of people I've golfed with are friendly and enjoyable to play with

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

Thanks for comments everyone I'm gonna see if a friend will go with me he doesn't golf the course I do. So it will still be my first time out and I'll have someone to talk to.

975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW

Thanks for comments everyone I'm gonna see if a friend will go with me he doesn't golf the course I do. So it will still be my first time out and I'll have someone to talk to.

That's ultimately best. I remember being nervous my first time on a full course - and I was a bit older than 16 (I was 22). I was really worried people would be upset at me for not shooting near par. After a little while, I found out that people don't care what you do, as long as you maintain etiquette and don't slow down play.

Let us know how it goes!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's ultimately best. I remember being nervous my first time on a full course - and I was a bit older than 16 (I was 22). I was really worried people would be upset at me for not shooting near par. After a little while, I found out that people don't care what you do, as long as you maintain etiquette and don't slow down play.

Slow play is one of my bigger worries but if its just me I should have a good pace if I don't hit the ball terrible.

975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW

If you notice people waiting for you, and the course is empty in front of you, offer to let them play through or pick up your ball and move on to the next hole. No one really cares what you score, but bad etiquitte affects everyone.

If you notice people waiting for you, and the course is empty in front of you, offer to let them play through or pick up your ball and move on to the next hole. No one really cares what you score, but bad etiquitte affects everyone.

OK that really helps. I don't want everyone up there to dead me playing so I'm going practice good etiquette. Plus I think I might take a cart just to speed it up my first time.

975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW

cart is a good idea but dont be afraid. im 16 just like you and started playing 2 months ago so were pretty similar. i have a membership where i play so i go out and play by myself all the time. sometimes i get off by myself and other times they stick a guy or two with me. either way i just play my game and half the time im better than the people im playing with even though i hit it in the woods. i play with my friends alot to though

Go early in the morning right when they first open on off days which are mondays around here, nobody's on the coarse . My golf buddy and I tee off 4 times a week at 5:45 am the coarse is still closed but we worked out a deal with the managment to pay when we are finished aroung 8.00 works out great and I'm at work by 8:30 if you are playing by yourself use 2 balls and practice all you can If you have a bad shot grab another ball and get it right.

just do it...
theres nothing to fear...
most ppl you get paired up with are pretty cool... if not... ditchem at the turn
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

You have nothing to worry about. My son and I took up golf about 3 months ago. At first neither of us could hit the ball very far. We play everyday and now we are getting better.

My nephew who is 8 has been playing with us the last few days. He hits the ball about 10 feet and that is after missing the first 2-3 swings each try.
The one thing we ALWAYS do is, as soon as we see someone behind us, we signal them to pass through, step off to the side of the course, and let them go. If your course is crowded, just wait until the end of the hole and let them through. It will slow you down, but someday someone will do it for you.

The more you play, the faster you will get. At first I could not hit my drive past the womens tees.

cart is a good idea but dont be afraid. im 16 just like you and started playing 2 months ago so were pretty similar. i have a membership where i play so i go out and play by myself all the time. sometimes i get off by myself and other times they stick a guy or two with me. either way i just play my game and half the time im better than the people im playing with even though i hit it in the woods. i play with my friends alot to though

Yea I end up in the woods on 5 on my course. and its easy to lose the ball. I'm not worried about hitting the ball I can drive 200-250 yards. I'm just worried well for no good reason.

975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW

if its a course you're familiar with you shouldnt have anything to worry about, just be respectful of others and if a more experienced player comes up behind you, dont hold them up and allow them to play through. I play alone a lot. I like the fact that golf is basically the only sport where you dont need an opponent, the course is your opponent. And be patient as you'll play faster than a group of people so if you catch them most will allow you to play through if possible. I may not be a great player but i usually play pretty quickly and you'll find you go a lot faster playing by yourself.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Going golfing by yourself is the perfect way to learn. When you go with your friends/family or something, they are always tell you what to do and how to play and you're ALWAYS doing something wrong in their mind. I found out when I go myself I play a lot more relaxed and I learn better because I'm the one who's teaching me and there is no better teacher than yourself!

Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!