IGNORED

Need Help with my Iron's distance

Note: This thread is 5370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys,
I need help with my iron's distance, my problem is that I can get an average of 275 yards carry with my driver (Nike SQ2 9.5 with stiff Tour AD 65 gram), but my iron distance is embarassing short( I hit it straight and accurate though).

My maximum carry for my 7 iron is only 130 yards and average around 120 yards. (I use Honma TW903 with True Temper stiff GS 75 gram), is that normal? what is wrong? is the shaft too light for me considering 65 gram driver? I notice ball's flight is very high. Too steep or again the shaft makes it balloning?

I normally outdrive my playing partners but they pull 9 iron and I pull 5 iron evenif I am closer to the green.

Hope somebody can give me some tips...

Laurent

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

Stop flipping. Come into contact with a flat left (right if left handed) wrist.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

That doesn't sound normal. With a 275 average, you should be a good 165+ with your 7 iron. Just for reference, i have a 240-260 driver distance and my 9 irons goes 145. IF i am normal, you should be a 150 yard 9 iron
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I think i have the same problem, although Your numbers are more impressive. i can move my 8 iron up to 92 mph and the ball won't reach more than 135 yds.
Try to récord yourself with a camera and check Your impact position.
As you have been told, left wrist may have something to say.Good luck !

In my bag:
Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 Diamana
Callaway Diablo Tour 15º

Callaway Razr 5 wood
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 3-PW
Callaway Forged 56º, Titleist Vokey 58º

Odyssey White Hot 1

Srixon Z-Star

I agree with Cizzle. More than likely, you are flipping the hands at impact (casting) and the hands are not ahead of ball at impact. My suggestion would be to tape yourself or get an impact bag (around 20 bucks) and practice on it.

My Clubs:

Driver: Nike SQ Sumo 460 10.5 degrees

3-Wood: Titleist 906 F4 15.5 DegreesIrons: Interchange between Hogan Apex Plus 3-PW stiff flex steel, and Cleveland CG Red Tour Spec 3-PW with stiff flex S300's.Wedges: CG 12's 56 degree and 52 degree, Cleveland BeNi 60 degree, and MacGregor MT Pro...

I agree with Cizzle. More than likely, you are flipping the hands at impact (casting) and the hands are not ahead of ball at impact. My suggestion would be to tape yourself or get an impact bag (around 20 bucks) and practice on it.

Yeah. I have a similar problem...Not as severe though, my 7 iron goes 150 carry.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

The driver requires an ascending blow but the irons a descending contact which compresses the ball between the clubface and turf. Leaning your shaft an inch or two ahead of the ball, closer to the target will properly reduce the loft of the iron and promote a strike which takes a shallow piece of turf after the ball. Move your weight to the leading foot and keep a firm left wrist.

I assume casting is not an issue if you are driving the ball that distance.

How are your divots ? Do you take divots ? When I "pick" the ball off the turf, I know it's going too high and short.

Look into supination of the left wrist. It took me a while to understand the significance of this, but once I learned it and put it into action, my iron shots had more of a tour trajectory and more distance. You'll end up delofting the clubface. If you're driving range has rubber mats (mine does), this usually makes it a little tougher to learn.

For what it's worth, my drives are in the same neighboorhood as yours. My 8i/9i is my 150 range.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

Guys,

You should be able to hit your putter 130 yards.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You should be able to hit your putter 130 yards.

I promise you I can hit my putter farther than my lob wedge. Givin the proper contact I am confident I could break 100 yards.

In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

I promise you I can hit my putter farther than my lob wedge. Givin the proper contact I am confident I could break 100 yards.

You need to make contact with the leading edge pretty much in the middle of the ball with an ascending blow - flat contact at worst (parallel to the ground in the hitting zone). That's the best way to maximize your short iron yardage.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Excellent advice! I'm about the opposite. I can hit my long irons practically where I hit my driver..doh.

- Pat

41 yrs. old, 3rd year playing and learning!
In my beginner bag:
--------------------------Driver/3W/3H - Nike Sumo SQ4H - TaylorMade Rescue5 iron - PW 2008 Callaway BB w/iBridsLW/SW/GW - 2010 Cleveland CG15Putter - 2008 Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7---------------------------

We had a guy in our group yesterday (3 3-somes) that could probably throw his putter 100yds. Let's just say he doesn't get an invite back.

I can relate to the OP....my driver average is probably 25-35 yards less than him but it's been a solid club for me. One of the better golfters watched me yesterday and said he noticed that I was releasing my shorter clubs too early in the downswing. He suggested that I delay release. I gave it a whirl throughout the rest of the round....and had a few sucessfull swings that resulted in a marshmellow feel at impact and great ball flight. Got work on this on the range some. Good luck.....I suspect your shafts may be a bit weak in your irons, too.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!