IGNORED

Moving to Cincinnati

Note: This thread is 5363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So i've been a lifelong resident in Chicago, however, starting next month I will be living in Mason, OH, a suburb of Cincinnati. So i'm looking for some courses to try, cheap courses, hard courses, hill courses, long courses, just a general feel of where and when to golf would be great. I'm a duffer, so I would love to find a course near Mason where I can just go and play, where I can easily walk on, and not spend too much money, i.e. less than $50 to walk. Any suggestions or ideas for courses to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If nothing else you're in luck with golf in Cincinnati. We have a lot of good public courses that are not too expensive. Check out this link for a list of most of the courses:

www.cincigolf.com

Additionally, Columbus, Dayton, Indianapolis, Lousiville and Lexington, KY are all within drive distance for golf and also have great golf courses. I have played the vast majority of public courses in Cinci and a lot in those outlaying areas as well.

In the Mason area there are several courses including Golf Center at Kings Island (a Jack Nicklaus course), Crooked Tree, Beckett Ridge and Green Crest all very closer. Additionally, Glenview, Sharon Woods, Blue Ash and a few others are within just a few minute drive of Mason. All of those coures are pretty good courses, with Sharon Woods or Kings Island being the nicest. KI is a little pricier, though.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Do yourself a favor and drive down east of Cincinnati and play "The Vineyard" one of the Hamilton Co. Park District course's. I lived in Cinti for 32 years and played many par 3's that are no longer but a few month's back I played the Vineyard on a trip to visit family and it is fantastic. Up and down hill type course with many elevation changes, even a raven carry on one par 4. I can't wait to have another family get together so I can play there again, and I think it was $30 on Sunday with a cart. If you play there ask for, buy a yardage card for the course, a few bucks, worth every penny.

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

I hear the weather is milder in Cincy than Chicago, when do you normally have to pack the clubs in for the winter? Thanks for the course ideas.

I grew up about 45 minutes from Cincy and live in Lexington, KY now which has basically the same weather. We will typically pack it in for winter sometime in November. It really just depends. We've played before a couple times in December though when the weather is crazy and gets up to 75 degrees. It could be 70 one day and then 40 the next so you never know. If you're not a fan of golf below 50 degrees, sometime in November is when you'll likely stop playing.

I've heard Fox Run, Vineyards, Stonelick Hills, and Shaker Run are all good courses. Not sure on the prices though. I believe Stonelick Hills is 70 to ride. If you don't mind the drive, Old Silo in Mount Sterling Kentucky is one of my favorite courses and is always rated the top public course in Kentucky. http://oldsilo.com/newpage.asp?id=432&page;=12827

I hear the weather is milder in Cincy than Chicago, when do you normally have to pack the clubs in for the winter? Thanks for the course ideas.

My friends and I are probably not average, but we typically play about 10-11 months out of the year. The last few years February has been the only month we have not been able to play (due to snow or sub-freezing temperatures). The weather has been surprisingly mild the last few winters. Most courses are open unless there is snow on the ground or some other extreme weather condition. If you're a die hard like we are you'll be able to play almost every week for at least 10 months.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Check out www.ovgatour.com

I'm from Youngstown, which is way north, but I was looking into starting something similar to their tour up here a few years ago. Even if you don't want to get into the tournament side, I'm sure that Chad would be more than willing to get you pointed in the right direction around Cinci.

In the Syncro...

Diablo 9.5* S
Diablo 15* S 3 Wood
Diablo 21* S Hybrid X-22 5-PW X-forged vintage 52*, 56*MD, 60*MD / CG White Hot XG 330 (currently the #1) B330-S and TP Red

get a golfnow.com account. I have been playing Shaker Run...a 70$/riding course for about 19$ ...beautiful course. I love Pipestone and Heatherwood. Most people love Yankee Trace but Im not a fan. Let me know if you need a playing partner...most of my friends dont hit anything but a 5 iron....every shot

Lived here all my life...and with that, sorry to hear you're stuck here too!

As for "cheaper" courses, the good news is there's plenty. Some of the courses people have mentioned are very, very nice (Stonelick Hills, Shaker Run) but they're definitely upwards of your mentioned price. Vineyard was mentioned and it's a nice one (Hamilton County course) and I'd also put Winton Woods, Sharon Woods and Glenview in there as well. All owned by Hamilton County Park District; they're almost always in nice condition and are very reasonable.

Some others in the area that are definitely on the inexpensive side would be Greencrest ( http://www.greencrestgolf.com/ ). Very, very nice people there. Course isn't overly challenging but it's nice if you just want to get out..and super close to Mason. Walden Ponds is out by where I live (about 20 minutes from Mason) and they're under $50. Fairfield (city) isn't far from Mason and they also have a decent course.

Depending on how far you want to drive I can give you some other ideas....and can definitely give you some "nicer" courses if you prefer. Like I said, been here all my life and play A LOT of golf so I've pretty much played them all. If you just hear of one and want an opinion, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the scoop. Not many in this area I haven't played before.

Good luck on the move. It'll be warmer in the winter than what you're used too, and there are a lot of courses that stay open all year long. Oh...and I can even let you know where there's a driving range fairly close that has heated stalls.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

get a golfnow.com account. I have been playing Shaker Run...a 70$/riding course for about 19$ ...beautiful course. I love Pipestone and Heatherwood. Most people love Yankee Trace but Im not a fan. Let me know if you need a playing partner...most of my friends dont hit anything but a 5 iron....every shot

Pipestone is in Miamisburg, right? Or are you talking about a different course? I played the one in Miamisburg a long time ago. Don't remember much about it.

Note: This thread is 5363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!