IGNORED

Anyone *not* bag any fairway woods?

Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to bag a 3 and 5 wood. There wasn't much gap between my driver and the 3 wood, and I hit the 5 much more consistently so I used it pretty much exclusively. When the time came to upgrade them (they were older Adams Tight Lies) I consolidated and replaced both with one club - a 4 wood. That was about two months ago, and I've hit the club maybe twice in 72 or more holes. I've found that my 21* hybrid is more reliable, and am considering taking the 4 wood out altogether and maybe adding a lower lofted hybrid to fill the gap. Thoughts?

Thats pretty much what I do with my 17* hybrid. I hit my fairway wood only like 10 yards further and wayy less accurate. I take it out and I am hoping to find a gap wedge at like 50 or 51* or a 13* 3wood that I can hit off the tee.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

I used to have a 3w, but couldn't hit it relaibly...so I tried a 14* hybrid, and just started using that instead. So, nope, no fairway woods in my bag. I actually dropped my scores signifiganty when going this route. Hybrids are just plain easier for me to hit.

Haven't ever owned any woods. (Though I'm still just starting out pretty much) I have a 16* and 20* hybrids.
In the Bag:

Driver: Diablo Driver
Hybrids: Baffler Pro 16* -- Baffler DWS 20*
Irons: R7 Irons 4-PW, GWWedges: Oversize Burner SWPutter: Rossa Suzuka cgb

A 3 or 4 wood is a GREAT club to have on short par 4's... it's always a good idea to have something you can hit off the tee box besides a driver if the hole is short or you don't want to take a risk. A 3H will hit the ball much shorter than a 3 wood. Probably 30 yards or more.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

A 3 or 4 wood is a GREAT club to have on short par 4's... it's always a good idea to have something you can hit off the tee box besides a driver if the hole is short or you don't want to take a risk. A 3H will hit the ball much shorter than a 3 wood. Probably 30 yards or more.

I would definitely fill the gap between my driver and 3H with something, probably a 15* hybrid (1H). I know that jumping right from my driver to a 21* club would be leaving a huge hole.

i currently carry a driver and a thriver - a thriver is a 14 degree driver head with a 43" long shaft. In other words its a driver sized 3 wood that is only useful from the tee box.

However, I consider myself better off laying up if I am outside of 200 yards to the green. a 9 iron wedge usually puts me close instead of a 3 wood that risks putting myself in trouble.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I dont currently bag a 3 or 5 wood. I was not hitting them very good and often was topping or pulling them on par fives when going for the green in 2 which was basically everytime on a par 5. Since I have taken them out of the bag I have become almost automatic birdies on par 5s.

I can hit the 3 hybrid about 230-240 off the tee so I use it for short par 4s or when I don't want to use driver.

I am thinking of getting a King Cobra 3 wood since I hit my new KC driver so well.

I do think I need one just didn't hit them well before but you can survive without if needed.

I've never been a huge fan of hybrids. I just don't like the way they look at address but everybody has their own opinion and you should definitely use whatever gets your scores the lowest.

I hit my fairway woods really well and my 3 wood is the one club in my bag that usually gives me an advantage over most of the guys I play with. If my second shot is 210-230 to the green on a par five I have no problem pulling my 3 wood out and going for it.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

I haven't carried a fairway wood for years.

I hit my 4i off the tee on most holes. If its wide open and long, I hit driver.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Everyone is different, right, so I may be in the opposite corner from most....I currently have five fairway metal woods in my bag: 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11. They are all Adams Tight Lies (of the 1990's vintage). The 9W replaces my 4I and the 11W replaces my 5I. They all work very well on the rather sparse fairways in the Houston area. I have them 'calibrated' for approximate distances on a chart I can consult in my bag. I have only added the 9W and 11W this summer, but I think they are keepers.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

I didnt even have a 3 wood until recently and I still just hit it off the tee. I like using my hybrids for shots out of the fairway, I have a 3(20*), 4(23*) and 5(26*). I can the 3 hybrid a lot more consistently from the turf and get decent distance. I dont hit the ball far enough to ever reach any par 5's in 2. Most of the ones around here(average around 500 yards or so) I can hit 3 wood, 3 hybrid and pw and reach them.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I don't use any hybrids or fairway woods. I think I'll add a hybrid this fall when my wife lets me start spending money on golf equipment again. lol

I hit my 5I off of shorter par 4's, and I have gotten very accurate with my driver since I don't have the option to hit a wood since my bag doesn't have any. I hit my irons solid enough that I can get away with driver > 5I > 9-PW for the longer par 5's.

Tour Burner 10.5 R
mp 57's
Vokey Spin Milled 56.10
Pal 4
Pro-V1X

i dont use any fairway woods or hybrids.. just cant hit them for some reason...i go from driver to my 2 iron (see sig)
Driver r9 460 TP 8.5
Irons Apex Edge 2-PW
Wedges RAC TP Z Smoke 52, 56
Putter White Hot Blade #7
Ball Prov1x

I know a few people who do not carry any fairway woods. For me my 3 wood is my go to club off the tee. Only hit driver on long par 4s and if I'm going for a par 5 in 2. Depending on the courses you play the gap between your driver and a long iron may not matter. If you prefer irons you may like a hybrid that is more iron like though. Definitally a personal preference thing.

I currently carry a 3 wood and driver, along with a 2 iron but I haven't used the 3w in the last 4 times I played. I'm thinking of dropping the 3 wood and going with 4 wedges. The 2 iron is usually plenty for tight tee shots and since going to the Burner driver, in which I have a lot of confidence and which I seem to absolutely bomb, I have little need for a 3 wood for control off the tee or for a long second shot. Plus, just a driver in the bag with no other woods will look pretty bad ass.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

i carry a 4w, havent actually used it yet (still in transit)
but the last 2 years i have not gamed one

if driver is failing me, it's 4i off the T
par 5's, i am driver, 6i, wedge in (or 4i, 5i, wedge in)

i picked up a 4w recently, as i used to use one in H/S and it was awesome
maybe that will halp fill the gap???
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

The lowest lofted club in my bag (besides my driver) is a 20* 3H, then it goes to irons.

I doubt that I'll ever buy a fairway wood again. I'm a short hitter so I may to hit hybrids into longer par 4s. I like the hybrid because it gets up a lot higher than a fairway, and lands nice and soft. Great for a short guy like myself.

Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!