IGNORED

Garmin Approach G5 GPS

Note: This thread is 4392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the take on the Garmin Approach G5 GPS.

I see that Golf Galaxy has dropped their price on it to $399.00?

Would appreciate anyone's comments on this GPS if you have one.

you can find them cheaper on craigslist or something. I"ve found quiet a few locally for $250. I've used the G5 quite a bit and definitely like it.

Callaway now has the UPro. Instead of a generic picture, you actually see aerial pictures of the course. Haven't seen one in person, but definitely looks pretty cool.

Should I be looking at the Golf Buddy or Golf Guru GPS rangefinder? Anyone want to comment on these two. I do like a color screen versus a black and white one.

Lew

Should I be looking at the Golf Buddy or Golf Guru GPS rangefinder? Anyone want to comment on these two. I do like a color screen versus a black and white one.

I've got the Golf Buddy and sometimes it's just not very accurate. It seems to happen on the same holes and I haven't been able to figure out if it's because of poor mapping or poor satilite reception. It's wierd. Sometimes it'll be spot on and sometimes it's obviously off by 20-30yds. I'm inclined to believe it's poor mapping. I've noticed this on more than one course too.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I had the G5 then returned it for the Upro. Callaway has 100.00 off right now on the upro. No brainer for me. The pics are awesome and smoke the G5 and it's just as accurate. Buddy has one and we compared

G 10 Irons 4-Pw
G 15 3 wood
07 Driver
19 deg Hybrid
Rosie C-130 UPRO

From what I hear, Skycaddie makes the best gps. I don't think they rely solely on satellites, I think they actually have people walk off all the yardages for the courses they have in their database. What I don't understand is whats the difference between the $200 model and the $500 model besides color screens.

Bag: GT
Driver: G10 9* stiff
3Wood: S9-1 stiff
Hybrid: BAFFLER stiff
Irons: GRAD MP 4-PW R300Wedge: FALDO NF-56Putter: Rossa Mezza MonzaBall: Pro V1Gps: SG2.5

If you have a BlackBerry, you can get GreenFinder for $35/year. I will try it this weekend, but if it is even fairly good that is a great way to avoid dropping $400 and getting another device to worry about.

From what I hear, Skycaddie makes the best gps. I don't think they rely solely on satellites, I think they actually have people walk off all the yardages for the courses they have in their database. What I don't understand is whats the difference between the $200 model and the $500 model besides color screens.

They do rely solely on satellites. All GPS units do. But, SkyGolf is the only company that gets their measurements by walking the course. All other companies use satellite imagery to get their measurements. So the SkyCaddie units are more accurate.

I looked at most of the GPS units available today and I chose the SkyCaddie SG5. I don't mind the annual fee because I think it is a small price to pay for way SkyGolf measures courses. I also think they have the best user interface and feature set. I don't need hole fly overs and I don't need to see a tiny satellite view of a hole. S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

• 2 years later...

I haven't used SkyCaddie.

I do own a Garmin Approach G5. My buddy uses a Bushnell laser on the course... and my G5 is dead nuts on the measurement he gets from his laser. I have never seen it more than 2 yards off the measurement he shoots. More than half of the time it is exactly the same measurement.

For my dollar, I will skip the annual/monthly fee and keep my Garmin. The color screen is fabulous. I can track my GIR, FIR, and putts for the round with it also.

My friend has the Garmin G5, and especially without the reoccuring fees of other GPS units, I would highly recommend it. It's comparable to my Leupold Gx-3 laser to 1-2 years normally.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Note: This thread is 4392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!