IGNORED

If I could putt I would probably save 10-20 strokes a round

putty
Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just started playing this year (other than 2-3 trips to the range last year) but I have taken several lessons and based on my recent scores I would say I am a 20-25 handicap where I stand right now. The real problem is that I'm getting on the green with mostly par and birdie putts from reasonable distances but end up 2 and 3 putting sometimes because I really have NO idea what I'm doing when I get to that point. I realize that this is a pretty massive issue considering it might be the most important part of golf but I'm pretty frustrated at the same time. I asked my pro to teach me how to putt but it just didn't feel right to me. I spent a few hours at the putting green today but I feel it is kind of a waste of time because I'm just doing things my way (which doesn't work) and its pretty obvious I'm lost out there.

So basically what I'm asking for is ANYTHING to help me get better at dropping that little white ball in the little circle with a flat metal stick. Thanks in advance.

well that practice will help so keep it up. My short game is much better than everything else. Take practice swings before the real deal, also take ur time, dont rush yourself. Also dont aim at the hole. Pick a spot either in front or behind/left or right of the hole depending on the slope and swing through the ball with a backswing even to the downswing. But keep practicing

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

So basically what I'm asking for is ANYTHING to help me get better at dropping that little white ball in the little circle with a flat metal stick. Thanks in advance.

Practice. Get a putting lesson from a PGA pro and then practice an hour a day. At home, on greens, etc. Get some drills and practice, practice practice.

Anyone can become an amazing putter. It takes no athletic ability at all. Concentration, intelligence and the desire to become great is all you need. It's such a mental thing. 100 people have 100 different approaches and feel different things. There are some technical fundamentals you should learn but after that everyone takes a different approach. My thing I developed on my own is to really use my right arm/shoulder more than anything and act as if I'm rolling the ball in with my hand. Putting is hard.

well that practice will help so keep it up. My short game is much better than everything else. Take practice swings before the real deal, also take ur time, dont rush yourself. Also dont aim at the hole. Pick a spot either in front or behind/left or right of the hole depending on the slope and

Could you explain that part please?

Practice. Get a putting lesson from a PGA pro and then practice an hour a day. At home, on greens, etc. Get some drills and practice, practice practice.

Thanks for the response. Should I take a putting lesson from a different pro if I didn't like what the first one taught me?

How do you practice at home? Just taking practice strokes? Could you explain some of those fundamentals? or possibly link a youtube video or something? All I know is to hit the ball on the flat part towards the hole so don't think anything in regards to putting is below me. Thanks

If you take a 10in backswing , then follow through 10in, it creates good rhythm. And dont worry about missing, the pros miss quite abit, you dont need to be a 30ft expert, but a solid 10 foot putter, so practice these the most.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

If you take a 10in backswing , then follow through 10in, it creates good rhythm. And dont worry about missing, the pros miss quite abit, you dont need to be a 30ft expert, but a solid 10 foot putter, so practice these the most.

Maybe I should start out being a solid five foot putter

a few suggestions until you feel comfortable putting would include reading golf magazines which often have tips on putting, going to stores such as Galaxy, the Sports Authority or Golfsmith where they have an indoor putting green and plenty of putters all around it. Pick one and try it. I sometimes spend 30 minutes to an hour trying putters and practicing putting. While there I also observe other golfers putting to look at the way they hold the putter, their stroke and their stance. Good luck to you. Weekend Pro

It's all practice. 99% of people who are beginners don't have good feel...it takes time to develop through practice and just playing experience.

Maybe this link could help a little:

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...857128,00.html

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I used to have a lot of putts as a beginner. 2 putts aren't really a bad thing. 3+ putts are. Make the best read that you can. Look at the putt from your side of the hole, look at the putt from the other side. Decide if your putt will be uphill or downhill, read the break both with your eyes and your feet. By with your feet I mean if you feel that you are leaning back slightly then the putt will be breaking left (for a righty). Or if you are leaning forward slightly, the putt will break right. Instead of aiming for the cup aim for a dime sized spot that incorporates the hill and the break. Also visualize the putt first.

A drill I did that really helped me with mechanics is I would put 3 balls out in front of me in a line so that I would putt the middle one without disturbing the other two balls on either side. I'd make the gap between the balls just big enough to fit a putter through it. Also make sure you keep your arms straight don't use any wrist. It's all practice. Try this drill the next time you work on the putting green and practice this drill on a fairly flat surface without a break. Working on flat putts will help you with basic speed and accuracy. From there you can build.

Best tip I can give you for the putter is that the backswing should ALWAYS be shorter than the downswing. You cannot be a consistant putter if you take the putter back the same amount for every distance as so many amateurs do. You must find out how for you need to take it back for each distance and accelerate through the putt at the same pace(no matter the distance of the putt). The pace of your swing should not change for different length putts, only the length of your backswing and downswing.

Once you figure out how far you need to take it back and through(the finish) for different distances you will become a much better putter.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've gotten a lot better at putting this year and i attribute it to aiming... by using the alignment markings on the ball (from factory or by me with alignment tool and sharpie).

Look at the putt to see where you want to hit the ball, aim the marking to were you want to hit it. keep your head down and hit the ball in the direction of the alignment marking. Hit it straight. this will allow you to focus on the speed/tempo of the putt...because you have already aimed it.

And of course practise practise practise.

NBC Tour Member

In my Nike bag:
Cobra Speed LD OS Driver
Nike Ignite 3H Nike Ignite irons 4 - PWCheap no name LW (60*) and AW (54*)Nike OZ #3 PutterPro V1x or Noodle+ BallsFootJoy ShoesNike glove

I agree with everyone here, practice, practice, practice. Watch some golf tutorial video, I really liked Golf for Dummies, explained really simple and makes sense. Another thing that worked wonders for me was bring your putter to a putt putt course, it will really help you with your distance and speed

I just started playing this year (other than 2-3 trips to the range last year) but I have taken several lessons and based on my recent scores I would say I am a 20-25 handicap where I stand right now. The real problem is that I'm getting on the green with mostly par and birdie putts from reasonable distances but end up 2 and 3 putting sometimes because I really have NO idea what I'm doing when I get to that point. I realize that this is a pretty massive issue considering it might be the most important part of golf but I'm pretty frustrated at the same time. I asked my pro to teach me how to putt but it just didn't feel right to me. I spent a few hours at the putting green today but I feel it is kind of a waste of time because I'm just doing things my way (which doesn't work) and its pretty obvious I'm lost out there.

Distance control is the most important aspect of putting. Aim using the line of the side of the ball to eliminate any doubt you may have of direction. Now you can concentrate solely on distance. I look at the hole when I putt (outside of ~10 ft). It helps a lot with distance control. I thought about other sports like baseball. If I'm throwing a ball somewhere, I'm looking at my target...not my hand or the ball. IMO, it makes it more natural/feel orientated rather than mechanical. Just practice distance control with this method anyway to see if it works. And get a routine if you don't already have one.

One more thing: the two best tips I ever got in golf are "aim small, miss small" and "believe (not think) that you are going to execute."

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

take a look at the hole and then when youre ready to hit your putt dont follow the ball, keep your head still and listen for the ball going in the hole!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Distance control is the most important aspect of putting. Aim using the line of the side of the ball to eliminate any doubt you may have of direction. Now you can concentrate solely on distance. I look at the hole when I putt (outside of ~10 ft). It helps a lot with distance control.

Never thought of it that way! It makes a lot of sense and I'll be trying it out this weekend.

Burner 9.5
JPX e500 5-PW
Putter, 3W, 4 iron
Aerolite III

Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!