IGNORED

9 Wood

Note: This thread is 4297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I was thinking about getting a Ping G10 9 wood to replace the 24 degree hybrid, which is a real slice machine for me. I hit the 4 wood better than the hybrid, and the 7 wood is a marvelous club which gives me about 155-165. I have a gap since I get about 135-140 out of the 5 Iron, and I am more consistant with the 7 wood. Does anyone bag high lofted fairway woods anymore?

HB

G10 Draw 13.5* 44 " Driver
K15 7 Wood
G10 28* 5 Hybrid
G10 orange dot 6I -PW
Tour W 56* SW 1/2 Craz-e i series putter 4 Under Stand Bag

Hi,

I use five metal fairway woods:

3 (13 degree), 5 (19 degree), 7 (24 degree), 9 (28 degree), 11 (32 degree). They are all Adams Tight Lies (circa ten years ago models). The 9 & 11 are recent additions and I am still working out the best stance parameters, but so far so good. I use the 9W as a replacement for my 4I and the 11W for my 5I. Just for interest, I noticed that the shaft on my 28° 9 Wood is about 3½” longer than my 4I. So I had to learn the difference in the stance/swing. Hope this helps.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

I bag a McGregor 9w (only one other than a 3w), I use it for my 160-190 fairway shots. It has a somewhat ballooning trajectory so very little roll, good for attacking greens when there is a tree canopy over the fairway.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I have an old Cleveland Quad Pro 7 wood that's still pretty sweet. It's souped up a bit with an "oldish" AJ Tech shaft and a load of lead tape on the sole that swings at D-5+. Hey, long before there were hybrids this "frankenclub" worked very nicely and still does...

Go for it....if you like the 7w go for the 9 also. It will be easier for you to hit, plus you should add some consistency to your game. The 9 wood is a great club.

• 2 years later...

Old response, but hear it goes.

I play a 9 wood and love it. It's my 120-140 yard club.

Anyone else playing a 9 or higher lofted wood right now? I have the Callaway Diablo Octane 3,5,7, and 9 woods in my bag.

In the Puma Orange Formation Stand Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ (10.25)

Fairway Woods: Callaway Diablo Octane (3,5,7,9)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 Pro (6-PW) 

Wedges: Mizuno JPX (50, 55, & 60)

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

Ball: Titleist DT Solo

I'm looking for a 23 wood for greenside bunker shots. Halp!

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I would carry a 9-wood if your more confident with such a club... I played a 7-wood when I was in high school... (10 years ago) The only problem I could see you having with the 9-wood is it tends to balloon and if you miss it left it's way left...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

I carry the Adams Tight Lies original fairway woods like retexan599. I have the 4-wood (16*), 5-wood (19*), 7-wood (24*), 9-wood (28*). I used to carry the Callaway Super Steelhead Plus woods, but the lofts are quite different: 4-wood (16.5*),  7-wood (20*), 9-wood (23*).  I also tried the Cleveland Quad Pro Dual Rail 4-wood (16*), 5-wood (19*), 7-wood (22*).

So if you are looking at adding higher lofted fairway woods, then check the specs first so you can be sure which clubs you are replacing.

Right now in the bag I have: 6, 7, 8, 9 irons, 47*, 53*, 57*, 64* wedges, the 4 fairway woods, driver and putter.

The 5-wood (19*) replace the 2-iron (18*) & 3-iron (21*), the 7-wood (24*) replaces 4-iron (24*) loft exactly and the 9-wood (28*) replaces the 5-iron (27*) with just a bit more loft, but of course the lengths of the shafts on the fairway woods are longer than the irons. It is nice having the same make club in each of the fairway woods especially at address, and although I have heard criticism of the "boring" gray metal appearance, I like the way the clubs set up. When struck solid the ball really accelerates off the face and it lands softly too, especially the 7-wood and 9-wood.

http://www.compedgemedia.com/images/1697616.jpg

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I say go for it as well. I just picked up a 7 wood that matched my 3W & 5W. I love the club and hit it so much better than my 4H. I have been thinking about getting a 9W myself now.

Does anyone know which manufacturers are still making 9 woods?  Are there any current offerings or will I have to go hunting for a really old used one?

Currently in the Grom: Driver: Ping G15 13.5;  Woods: Adams XTD 5W 18.5, TM R11 7w 22; Hybrids: Cleveland Mashie M4 and M5; Irons: Mizuno JPX800 w/Nippon NSPro950 S;  Wedges: CG16 48* CG15 52* CG15DSG 56*;  Putter: Rife 2bar hybrid mallet Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome

Note: This thread is 4297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!