IGNORED

what do you chip with around the green?

ScottL
Note: This thread is 5332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

what club do you chip with when you are around the green? Mainly talking about just off the fringe or slightly back...

i dont know why, but im stubborn and always chip with my 56' wedge. But I think its killing me. I seem to get up under the ball too much and slide under and ends up way short. Buddy keeps telling me to use a 9 iron or something, but then i seem to get too much roll. Just curious what everyone else uses?

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my 56 about 85% of the time. I use my 60 degree about another 10% For longer bump and run shots I'll use my PW or a 9 or 7 iron but only for longer shots about 5% of the time.

If you're getting under the ball, try moving the ball further back in your stance and make sure you're really putting the majority of your weight on your front foot. This will get you to deloft your club a little and more importantly you'll strike down on the ball, hitting it first instead of scooping it up off the ground.

Just practice the length of backswing, and how much distance you get out of each swing. This all said, I'm sure you're going to get a lot of different opinions here and I have friends who try to "take all the loft out of their clubs" around the greens because they think that's safer.

It's really what you're comfortable with IMO. But to me, the 56 is the right club for the majority of my chips and pitches.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

I use a 9i with my putting stroke. I like to get it on the ground as quick as possible

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unless I'm in the rough around the green or on the collar of it I've always used an 8-iron. Grip way down, feet together, ball back, and pendulum swing like a putt, but with hands leading the clubhead.

I think its way easier to get close than trying to finesse a wedge, especially on uphill chips.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Usually a PW or 9 iron. Just depends on how long of a shot we're talking. I almost never chip with a 56 unless its a short chip that I don't want to roll out.

I'm going to start doing more of that. I too use my SW for too much for chips from the fringe.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

im definitely in the minority here using my 56. I may give 9 or PW a shot next time out. Also, one thing it seems that im doing wrong for sure is putting the ball back. I do have feet together, weight on front,etc but i have ball back... for some reason I was told that somewhere along the way....

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

For shots on the fringe I will usually use my 21 degree hybrid. Gets the ball over the fringe and runs on the green right away. For most other chips I use my 58 degree vokey. Having great success using Stan Utley's method.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Contours of the green and distance to the hole dictate the shot and club for me. I'll use anything from a 7i to a 60* or Texas wedge depending on the shot.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I tend to lean toward the sw cause I can control it really well. I never tried a 9 iron or less but I think I will this week at the putting green

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I use my 56 ° almost exclusively. If I'm at a severe upslope, this will add effective loft to my club, and I'll grab my 51° and pick the same target that I would from a flat lie with a 56.

If I had a lob wedge, I'd probably use it about once per round, max.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sand wedge and nothing but. I made chipping practice a priority this year in my backyard and that's the club I use. I just feel comfortable with it when chipping.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

I used to use SW and then I started shanking them. That much loft felt unnatural for me. I almost always use PW. I will use SW for a downhill lie, helps me put a better swing on it somehow. My stepbrother really likes the 9 iron for chipping, he's a 8.0 handicapper. All in what you prefer I guess. Try different clubs on the chipping green.

Majority of the time I use my 52 degree gap wedge but it depends on the lie. If the lie is in long thick grass, I would use my SW, if it is short of the green and I just need to carry a little bit of fringe or a bad spot on the green, a 7 or 8 iron.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I'm going to start doing more of that. I too use my SW for too much for chips from the fringe.

I used to use my SW for all my chips around the green when I was younger and with age I've learned that getting it on the ground and rolling as soon as possible gives you the best chance of getting it close. You take a lot of the guesswork out of chipping when you get the ball on the ground rolling quickly. My chipping now is far and away better than when I though I had to use a SW for everything.

With a SW you're likely going to spin it more so there's more guessing involved with how far to carry it so that it rolls out the correct distance. Depending on your lie, you may spin it more (or less) so you have to accommodate (guess) for that as well. With a PW (what I use most) I use the 50/50 rule. I use a similar stroke that I do with my putter in that I don't break my wrists much at all. I just take the club back with my shoulders and follow through with my shoulders and however long the chip is, with a PW I try to land it half of the way to the cup and usually it will roll out the other half. It's a pretty good rule of thumb I've found for most greens of average speed. If I do take a SW, I try land it more like 70% of the way there and let it roll out the other 30%.

I pick the club which allows me to land the ball on the putting line as quickly as possible. If the ground surrounding the green is cut very short it is not wrong to use a putter. I also like using 7iron with a putting stroke at 25yards from the green- it is hard to go wrong with such a compact swing.

I also like to think that I am genuinely trying to hole out on my chips shots. Failing that getting down is two is essential so really I want to leave a short putt.

just off the fringe, i'll typically go to my 7-iron for chipping. if i'm across the entire green from the pin, and if i have a fluffy lie, sometimes i'll get out the 60 degree and go for a short flop instead of chipping.

Note: This thread is 5332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!