IGNORED

Wedge Bounce?

Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so I'm looking at getting a 60* lob wedge and I already know I'm gonna go with a Taylormade wedge. However, I have no clue as to what "bounce" would suit me best. What is bounce? I would mainly be using it for flop shots and short pitch shots and not so much for full shots. So, let me know what bounce would suit my criteria the best. Thanks.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

It's really important that you get this right to improve your game. If your home course is soft turf or you have a shallow attack angle you should be looking for a lower bounce. If you often play on a hard turf then look into a wedge with higher bounce.

Tour Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3/4 Hybrids
Burner 5-AW S-Flex
C-Grooved Marilyn
Ozone Stand Bag

What do you mean by a shallow attack angle? Like how steep I come down on the ball? I'm sorta lost. But, it seems like a lower bounce would suit me better but if there's something in-between low and high that would probably fit me best based on what you said.

Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

What do you mean by a shallow attack angle? Like how steep I come down on the ball? I'm sorta lost. But, it seems like a lower bounce would suit me better but if there's something in-between low and high that would probably fit me best based on what you said.

Shallow means very little divot, steep a big divot. Read the Titleist links there is a lot of information there.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree. This question has really been asked a lot. I just bought a wedge myself and researched bounce. Currently, I take very little to no divit with my irons. I am working on hitting down more, though. I am what you would call a "sweeper." In other words, I have a shallow attack angle. Someone with this type of swing wants lower bounce when hitting from tight or firmer surfaces. Thus, my longer wedges have less bounce in my particular set up.

On the other hand, a "digger" someone with a sharper attack angle can use either but may be more suited for more bounce. They already dig into the ground on every shot and are less likely to hit a shot thin with a wedge that has more bounce. More bounce is also generally more desirable for thicker rough, such as chipping around the green. My sand wedge, which I use primarily for chipping from the rough and hitting from fluffy sand has the most bounce so that it will aid me in cutting through the rough or sand. My lob wedge has a medium-high bounce, as it use if mostly for deeper bunker shots and flop shots and rarely ever from the fairway.

I guess you could think of bounce as the club's resistance to dig into the turf (or its likelihood to "bounce" off the turf). The more bounce, the more resistance. Someone who sweeps, thus, is going to have a hard time getting under the ball, generally speaking, on shots from tight lies when using a high bounce wedge and thus may hit such shots thin (e.g. the skulled wedge from the fairway). Take this advice, generally, though. I'm no expert.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

yes this topic has been covered to death my friend
use the search tab up top and type in "wedge bounce"..u can read for hours

it really is all personal preference, much like a putter
for me i use this general guideline: Gap - 7-9º bounce, Sand (ish) - 12-14º, Lob (ish) - 7-9º
but again, PERSONAL preference
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Ok I get it. I should definitely get a low bounce then. My sandwedge must have really high bounce because it really resists digging into the turf. If I can I'd like to get a putter, lob wedge and maybe a new sand wedge now that I understand the whole bounce thing. It has 3 dashes on the sole which must mean high bounce.

mhodar13,

Ideal wedge "bounce" will vary by situation. A high-bounce sand wedge ideal for light fluffy sand may not be useful in all cases.

If you are playing from hard packed or very heavy sand , you might want to use a wedge with medium or low bounce, maybe a gap wedge. With a high bounce wedge in firm sand , you risk the clubhead skipping off the sand and delivering a skulled (low line drive) shot.

If I face firm sand with my 14-bounce X-Forged SW, I am fairly adept at picking the ball off the sand - no explosion. The local clubsmith at Golf Galaxy, however, cringes when I mention this. (Caution: Try this in practice before you try it during round.)

If you normally play on plush turf, and the ground turns hard and dry in late August, lesser bounce might help also. (again, to prevent skulls)

Not sure what the specs are for your other wedges. Check with the manufacturer to find the bounce of your other tools.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Another vote for reading and re-reading the Titleist / Vokey links.

Too small a bounce angle can make for a tough club to use....very tough.

12 degrees will allow all sorts of play....full shots, sand play and etc.

I'd be scared to go any lower than 10 degrees.

I did on one lob wedge....it's an extreme example....and a very limited use club. I had to try it, though. I'm not overly pleased with it....had to experiment. It's going on ebay at some future point.

I ordered a 58 degree loft / 14 degree bounce LW to replace the LW in my sig line. It will be much more versatile.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Dub,

Good point on problems of wedges with too little bounce.

This spring, either a Vokey or a Callaway promoter suggested seasonal wedges: Low bounce for spring and fall, and high bounce for the fluffy grass of summer.

Must be nice to have unlimited cash!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!