IGNORED

What's your favorite type of course?

billm408
Note: This thread is 5351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The thread on architects got me thinking.

Do you prefer long (7000) or short (6300)? Grip it n rip it or narrow? Flat or hilly? Big greens or small? I was having this conversation with someone this morning and I realized that most of my favorite courses share common characteristics.

I like courses that play between 6600-7000 yards, give you risk to reward options on how you’re going to play the hole and small to mid sized greens. I like elevation changes and well bunkered courses and don’t think you should always have a clear shot if you blow it into another fairway. I also tend to judge a course by the par 3’s. They should be interesting and vary in length from 145-200 or so yards. I think short par 4's should have well protected greens and long par 4's should be open in front to allow a ball to roll on. I think every course should have at least reachable par 5. I like a course that makes you think, makes you hit every club in the bag and doesn’t favor one shot shape all day.

What I dislike is target golf, tricked out courses, 10,000 sf tiered greens and environmentally protected areas around the green.

How about you? What’s you favorite type of course to play?

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I don't like extreme elevation changes. I don't like holes that drop a significant amount downhill, and it's a complete guessing game trying to pull the right club because the hole can play 2-3 clubs less...I find that stupid.

I also don't really like true links golf courses much. Not a huge fan of fescue. I think for the most part it's pretty ugly on a golf course compared to some real nice trees.

I prefer courses that are not completely open but give you a nice size fairway. As far as length I like something 6500 yards. I generally play courses longer but with my length (240-250 off the tee) I prefer something a little shorter because then I have some more chances to make birdies..

A course like Augusta would be my favorite judging by it on T.V.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I don't like extreme elevation changes. I don't like holes that drop a significant amount downhill, and it's a complete guessing game trying to pull the right club because the hole can play 2-3 clubs less...I find that stupid.

Augusta has pretty large elevation changes. The 12th hole drops 170 feet. Players will tell you that there isn't much of a flat lie except for the tees. I don't think you'd like Augusta at all if you dislike elevation changes. It has a nice length for members though. Playing it from the Masters tees would be kind of fun though.

• Administrator
Augusta has pretty large elevation changes. The 12th hole drops 170 feet.

Uhm, I'm gonna go with "no" on that one. The 12th is 150 yards. And try answering the question next time...

I hate trickery for the sake of trickery. I like courses that make you think, that give you options. But intentional trickery for the sake of trickery, well, that's just stupid. And one course I know has 50 yards of rough starting at about 260 off the tee with a bunker that goes across it too. Long hole, #18... and you're basically absolutely forced to hit a 3W to leave yourself 210 in? Lame.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i think i'm straight up the middle on all of the characteristics - i like a narrowish fairway, but not super duper tight. i like medium sized greens. i like a course that's medium in length (ie, 6600 yards or so). i also like flattish courses.

I hate trickery for the sake of trickery. I like courses that make you think, that give you options. But intentional trickery for the sake of trickery, well, that's just stupid.

Agreed. Seems to be common with a lot of newer courses these days though.

And one course I know has 50 yards of rough starting at about 260 off the tee with a bunker that goes across it too. Long hole, #18... and you're basically absolutely forced to hit a 3W to leave yourself 210 in? Lame.

Why do they do stuff like that? A course I used to play years ago has a 600yard par 5 with a barranca 230 yards off the tees... dumb!

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I like:

1) Mid length courses, 6,700 yards is about right for me.

2) Generally not too tight or too wide open. But there should be a couple holes which are wide open and you can really try to let one go.

3) I prefer links style courses. They just fit my eye and remind me of my childhood home course. And I don't get to play them so often so its always a treat!

4) I agree with the sentiment that there should be a drivable par 4 on every course. So much fun...

5) I like having dogleg holes that give you the choice between carrying over a corner, or playing out straight into the fairway.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I'm not real picky overall, but have a few things I do not like. If a course has a lot of blind tee shots (especially blind 2nd shots) and lots of sidehill fairways I am probably not going to like it. Among my favorite courses would include 'target golf' courses, links 'style' courses and mountain courses. As long as the course is fair and gives some options I do not mind it. In most cases I would prefer the rough not be too tall and thick unless the fairways a pretty wide, though. I hate losing a ball when you know about where it's at but simply can't find it because of rough. At times I prefer shorter courses, but if course is a little more open I prefer the extra length. And as far as the 'look' of the course, I just prefer that every hole looks and plays a little differently than others - elelvation changes are a plus.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I tend to prefer courses that play to my abilities rather then play to my weaknesses. I don't like courses with alot of 400 yard + par 4's. I prefer par 5's that give you the option of hitting a mid iron with your second shot (IE give me a lay up spot). I also like to play courses in the 6400 yard range.

Also, a walking accessable layout (meaning the next tee box is close to the green) is a huge thing for me. I hate these courses that have a 5+ minute walk to the next tee box.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Also, a walking accessable layout (meaning the next tee box is close to the green) is a huge thing for me. I hate these courses that have a 5+ minute walk to the next tee box.

agreed. at one of my favorite courses, between the 12th and 13th hole is a walk that is easily 5+ mins. even in a cart it takes a full minute almost to get from the 12th green to the 13th box.

I like medium length. traditional American style tree-lined courses. I definitely prefer parkland type courses to links style.

For example, I prefer the U.S. Open to be held at places like Olympic or Baltusrol over Pebble Beach or Shinnecock Hills.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Anything that makes good use of the natural land it is built from.

Honestly, I'm not too picky.

I just hate slow greens, hard bunkers (unkempt basically) and ridiculous pin placements on busy days slowing the course even more. I also don't like random, small trees in bizarre locations.

I like courses with yardage that is accurate and scorecards that give yardage from typical places and landmarks. One course around me actually marks the score cards where the pins are.

Finally, I like courses where every hole is well through out and the course has a certain flow to it.

I like courses around 6100-6400 yards that make you use all the clubs in your bag.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

Augusta has pretty large elevation changes. The 12th hole drops 170 feet. Players will tell you that there isn't much of a flat lie except for the tees. I don't think you'd like Augusta at all if you dislike elevation changes. It has a nice length for members though. Playing it from the Masters tees would be kind of fun though.

I'm talking severe elevation changes. From what I've seen on TV, no holes on Augusta drop that significantly as to what I would complain about. Obviously some difference in terrain and some uphill and downhill are fine. But, I've played courses where every hole is severely uphill, severely downhill, and I have no clue what club to hit. I don't like have to guess between about 3 clubs which one to hit, and not being able to see the green half the time because it's so uphill.

I just hate slow greens, hard bunkers (unkempt basically) and ridiculous pin placements on busy days slowing the course even more. I also don't like random, small trees in bizarre locations.

Agreed. I hate it when a hole has a HUGE green and they stick the pin 5-7 paces off the fringe!!!!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'll play anything. My favorite courses are on a body of of water (lake or ocean). I also like playing golf in the mountains.

Least favorite---target golf. 2nd least favorite--desert golf
So my real least favorite is target, desert golf.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Im not too picky with the style of course.

There are things I dont like about courses

1. The hardest hole on the course being so incrediblely hard its near impossible. For example 440 par 4 from the whites all uphill.

2. All the nice courses have to be hard.

3. When forced to hit a club less than any wood because there is no other option.

There's no particular kind of course I don't like, just really crappy or overpriced ones. I've got a soft spot for a nice links course, or a well thought out desert style course.

Note: This thread is 5351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!