IGNORED

9 Hole Rounds and Handicaps

Uthinkso
Note: This thread is 3624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The handicap system will  do the combing of 2 9 hole rounds for you.  Just post your scores as per 9 or 18 holes, if you play F9 in the morning B9 in the afternoon, post it  as 18 or individually 2 rounds of 9 holes.. It  won't really matter much with handicap calculations.  The same goes for posting a partial round of say 12 holes if you are 8 over, post a round of 18 at 12 over...

The key is post those scores with equitable stroke.

as far as your personal best goes, IMO you can call it a personal best & no one wishes to hear that you shot XX with 2 rounds of 9 on two different days or conditions. Calling it a personal best for 9 on the other hand, not at problem.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been playing  9 holes regularly for the past few weeks , some times the front 9 and some times the back 9 and my score has been hovering between 6 over to 10-11 over ..... can this be used to calculate handicap ?

as soon as i play 18, the first 9 becomes crap ... like 15-17 over and the back 9 becomes 7-9 over... why is that ? mental issues ?

Not really sure where this post goes,... please move if in the inappropriate place

cheers

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

As to starting off fast and slowing down later, that is pretty common when you start to improve.  Your subconscious mind is very powerful, and it is comfortable with its self-image as you as a golfer.  If you usually shoot +20, it'll be hard to shoot +10 or +30 - your mind will try to pull you to where it thinks you "should" be.  This sounds counter-intuitive, but I think its true.  Keep at it with a good attitude and picture yourself shooting really well on the back.  If you start slow, you'll miraculously hit a couple pars/birdies because your mind has a self-image it wants to protect.  Breaking through that is tough, but keeping a good mental attitude and visualizing yourself as a +10 instead of a +20 is key.

You can find any number of free handicap applications online.  For example, http://thegrint.com/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I have been playing  9 holes regularly for the past few weeks , some times the front 9 and some times the back 9 and my score has been hovering between 6 over to 10-11 over ..... can this be used to calculate handicap ?

as soon as i play 18, the first 9 becomes crap ... like 15-17 over and the back 9 becomes 7-9 over... why is that ? mental issues ?

Not really sure where this post goes,... please move if in the inappropriate place

cheers

Most courses have the front and back nine rating and slope.  You can calculate handicap off that.  You can also combine two nine hole rounds as one 18 hole round even if you play the same side.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Most courses have the front and back nine rating and slope.  You can calculate handicap off that.  You can also combine two nine hole rounds as one 18 hole round even if you play the same side.

Wouldnt that be cheating ? just curious coz my 18 score would be abt 24 over where as if i just clubbed 2, 9 hole rounds i would be barely 18 over ... 6 strokes ?

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

@achadha7 ,

This is how the handicap is officially calculated here in the US.  You combine consecutive 9 hole rounds for one 18 hole round.  On sites such as GHIN, a web based handicap site, it calculates it for you.

Scott

My Swing Thread

@achadha7 ,

This is how the handicap is officially calculated here in the US.  You combine consecutive 9 hole rounds for one 18 hole round.  On sites such as GHIN, a web based handicap site, it calculates it for you.

agreed but just sounds wierd since mental issues may creep in over 18 but over 9 you may be fine ... physical stamina issues may creep in over 18 but 9 you may be fine .... so could be considered cheating ;)

agreed but just sounds wierd since mental issues may creep in over 18 but over 9 you may be fine ... physical stamina issues may creep in over 18 but 9 you may be fine .... so could be considered cheating ;)

Not at all.  18 is an official round, but you must post scores for a lower number of holes per the rules.  If a bad storm cuts your round off at 13 holes, is is cheating?  Most golf leagues in the US are nine hole leagues because they are played after work.  Those scores need to be posted to maintain your official handicap.  It is certainly not cheating.  It would be unscrupulous to only post 18 holes rounds and not include 9 hole rounds.

To maintain an official handicap, you need to post everything, good, bad, nasty weather, beautiful sunshine, hurt big toe, aching back, fabulous rounds etc.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Not at all.  18 is an official round, but you must post scores for a lower number of holes per the rules.  If a bad storm cuts your round off at 13 holes, is is cheating?  Most golf leagues in the US are nine hole leagues because they are played after work.  Those scores need to be posted to maintain your official handicap.  It is certainly not cheating.  It would be unscrupulous to only post 18 holes rounds and not include 9 hole rounds.

To maintain an official handicap, you need to post everything, good, bad, nasty weather, beautiful sunshine, hurt big toe, aching back, fabulous rounds etc.

Yep, I believe the 9 hole rounds are combined to form an 18 hole handicap with the post scrip "C" after the handicap. Basically, if you play on monday, and then play on wednesday. Those would be formed to give you a handicap. USGA has the slope and rating for front and back nines on courses.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!