Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inthecup

A rut

7 posts in this topic

I feel I am in a rut. Parts of my game have improved but my scores have not. I recently took a lesson and my iron play took a step backwards. I am working on my hip and shoulder rotation which is creating lag and a descending blow. I think in the end the swing change will be worth it but it is frustrating right now. Working on my iron play is taking time away from improving my short game which is what will improve my score. My irons of course are also erratic.

Two steps forward one step back. I am getting a headache looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

All changes and improvement take patience and time. Many people don't improve because they aren't improving on a timeline they like and give up or change something else. If you're doing the right things (and your instructor will know this better than anyone on here and probably better than you), just stick with it. Chances are one day soon you'll have one of those rounds where all these changes just start to 'click' and the scores will happen. I went through this myself about a year ago with irons.

I know that is all true but my patience is getting thin. I am putting in the time and not getting measurable results. To add insult to injury my handicap is artificially low because I don't have enough scores in. I have a couple low rounds that is drawing the number artificially low. Makes it "fun" in the league.

The good new is I have better control of the driver, it helps being in a better position, unless the iron shot that follows is inaccurate.

Golf is a 4 letter word.

I made a similar swing change starting in February (I belong to an indoor range) and in just the last couple of weeks my swing is finally starting to take shape. Note that I had to hit up the range at least 4 times a week...not including playing actual rounds of golf. One of my mistakes that was causing me a lot of trouble was swinging too fast. I wanted to really get that decending blow, so I would swing much harder than my body could consistently handle. I finally worked on slowing the swing down until I found a rhythm that was comfortable and consistent, and then it all came together.
When I played a round a couple weeks ago, my iron play was better than I can ever remember. And the last few times out since I have been hitting the ball much better as well. Now if I could only putt.
Keep working at it. You'll get there, and realize that it was totally worth it.

I made my biggest swing change last season. I started off the season shooting in the mid 80's and knew that my current swing wouldn't ever take me to the next level. I got my girlfriend to video tape my swing and took the time to analyze it and make the needed adjustments. During the swing change I was posting scores in in the mid 80's-high 90's and I was getting really frustrated. But I stayed with it.

Through the off season I kept working and at the beginning of this season it finally clicked. I haven't shot in the 90's once this season and generally shoot in the high 70's. My highest round of the year was in an 87 at a fantastic (and really difficult) course in Austin on a day that I was plagued with double bogies (seriously, I had 5 doubles). My low round was +4.

The moral of the story is to stay with. The end results are worth the frustrations you're going through right now.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't want to groove an incorrect swing. I guess I'll keep plodding along.