IGNORED

does golf get more frustrating as you get better?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 5357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have gone from a 25 handicap to an 18~19 (don't have an official cap, but guessing on both). The thing that I have noticed is that the better I get, the more frustrated I am when I have a bad shot / hole / round.

Is this the case for everybody?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I wouldn't lower more scores if I'd get angrier. Just because Tiger cusses a lot and still is way succesful doesn't mean you should. Control your emotions, for yourself and for others.

And yes.

That's why they say golf is a love/hate relationship.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I think frustration is anger directed at oneself. Lower your expectations and/or if your having a bad day, stop keeping score and concentrate on practicing.

I think it's different for a pro. When they have a bad day, they are losing income.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

Thats why they sell you beer as you play.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Golf becomes more enjoyable as you learn more and improve I believe.

Improving can be frustrating because you often take a step back to take 2 forward. So you'll have stretches where you're terrible. But you have to stay with it.

I think as you improve more and more your "bad" play is still pretty acceptable. Bad shots are still playable shots, they just tend to make your next shot have to be better. Bad shots when you're a 20 handicap are often simply terrible. Especially frustrating after a great drive, lol.

I don't know about that. I see where you are coming from but I sure like it more now. I used to shoot in the 100's no a horrid round is 90. I do get frustrated but it is fun to me saying I left 3 or 4 out there and shot a 38 for nine holes. I do expect more but if you can't enjoy playing poorly, get a new hobby. Everyone has a bad day.

Brian

No, bad (or not so good) rounds should be expected. I find it mostly hinges around rhythm-tempo; some days she shows up for the dance, other days she stands you up.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

One thing I noticed as I got better was how frustrating the game can be. The main reason for me was that I got to the point where I could make some pars and sprinkle in a birdie here and there. The problem comes in that you can see what happens when you are at your best. Then you expect to be at that level all the time.

Maybe you play and are 5 over through 6 holes. Pretty good day so far. Then the wheels come off and you go 7 over for the next 4 holes. Then you get frustrated because you know you are capable of being better. If you didn't get frustrated, then you would never improve because you would be complacent with what you have. The frustration comes from wanting to do better and knowing you can.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

One thing I noticed as I got better was how frustrating the game can be. The main reason for me was that I got to the point where I could make some pars and sprinkle in a birdie here and there. The problem comes in that you can see what happens when you are at your best. Then you expect to be at that level all the time.

That's what happened to me. Past few weeks I've been playing awesome. Some high 70 rounds, low 80 rounds on a tough course, playing to like a 6-7handicap or so...Then this past week I've been frustrated. Hit a bump in the road with my swing, can't hit anything solid or straight.

I think the game gets more frustrating as you get better because A. You expect more out of yourself. and B. You practice more. When you're just a beginner, your a beginner. Your supposed to be bad . But as you get better, take lessons, practice A LOT and very hard, it gets VERY frustrating when you play poorly...and I mean, so frustrating you feel like just quitting sometimes.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Yes, Because you expect your self to perform well. If I shoot anything above 41 I feel like the world is coming down around me, seriously. It will ruin my entire day.

Last year I accepted having bad days, and just got over it. Lately I have become rather ridiculous. Even if I have a good day where I'm hitting fairways, and getting my GIR where I like it. If I do put my shot with in 10' of the flag I'm pissed. My friends don't understand it, they are happy to make it anywhere close to the green. I'm really hard on my self, and I know it. I shoot a 37-40 and I'm just thinking about everything I did wrong, instead of saying hey I had a good round. Who am I kidding I do that when I shoot par too.

the most frustrating part of my game is putting, I might 3 putt once every 18 holes, but I feel like I should be draining putts from 20' out with consistency.

I think it with any sport, I've experienced it in about every form. When I used to be big into weight lifting I remember just adding weight every weak to my bench/squat etc. I hit a plateau on my bench at 315, it killed me I was trying every thing I could and just couldn't do it. I was really down about it. Same thing with golf. While most people would kill to have a single digit handicap its not enough for me, neither was 315.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I'd say it does get more frustrating, and more enjoyable, as you get better. When you first start, your expectations for yourself aren't as high, so you accept poor play as part of your game. As you improve, you know you're perfectly capable of making good shots, repeatedly, but some days it just won't happen... frustrating as hell.

I have gone from a 25 handicap to an 18~19 (don't have an official cap, but guessing on both). The thing that I have noticed is that the better I get, the more frustrated I am when I have a bad shot / hole / round.

I think you may be raising your expectations a little too much. I started playing when I was 9 and was shooting in the 70's by age 14. I remember my progression as a happy one with each step I took. In golf sometimes you have to take two steps back to get one step ahead so just be patient and keep working on your game and enjoy the ride!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

well said Also, I played very poorly on wednesday and feel that ALOT of it had to do with bad tempo. My back swing was very fast and I was all out of sorts.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Most high handicappers tend to expect that as you become better, the frustration decreases. I don't know that I'd say the game gets more frustrating, but I think the level of frustration remains about the same as your expectations change. That's part of the allure of the game......no matter how good you become, the opportunity to improve and the continued challenge in the game remains.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

absolutely. i've never been so frustrated with golf as i've gotten now that my handicap is almost to the single digits. if i hit a bad shot, i get *pissed.* before it would just be "crap, that's not what i wanted to happen... oh well, i guess i'll go find it." even if the shot is still in play and in decent position, i'm mad at myself for not hitting the shot that i wanted.

Golf isn't a game of perfect.

Ben Hogan said golf is a game of misses.

You simply can't expect to hit a great or even good shot every time. All you can do is prepare for every shot and put yourself in the best position to hit a great shot.

I will admit I do get dejected sometimes. You strive for a certain improvement and it doesn't come and you take a step back and you feel like you reached your peak. But if you keep determined you eventually get it.

Frustration doesn't really help anything.

This game will vex you. Vex you I say. It just seems like the golf gods will not allow you to have everything working at once. Putting well. Can't chip. Hitting longer drives. Can't hit an approach shot. It just seems like you get one thing working and something else goes to pot. In my dreams everything comes together for one glourious round and I finally get into the 70's (80 my personal best).
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

Note: This thread is 5357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!