IGNORED

What's the penalty for a double chip?

Rounders
Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This happened to me this weekend and my playing partner and I did not know what the penalty was. Anyone have any idea?

Driver: R9
Fairway Woods: 07 Burner Rescue
Hybrid: 07 Burner Rescue
Irons: X-16's
Wedges: CG10 Black Pearl 54* Putter: Rossa Fontana

it just counts as two strokes instead of one.

In my bag

Driver: J33r 10.5º - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue
Fairway: 600T 5w, 7w
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW/AW/SW/LWPutter: Victoria IIBall: B330-RXGlove: WetherSofShoes: DryJoys

Source: USGA Rule 14-4
Striking the Ball More Than Once

If a player's club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke, the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all.

http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14280

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know the rule, but i dont understand why a penatly is applied. If you hit the ball with your club twice, it should just be counted as two strokes, IMO.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I know the rule, but i dont understand why a penatly is applied. If you hit the ball with your club twice, it should just be counted as two strokes, IMO.

The penalty is applied (as opposed to just recording 2 strokes), most likely, to avoid the situation where you 'triple-hit' the ball (or worse!). Alot of times (of course, it's never happened to me

) when you double-hit the ball, it's probably likely that you may have even hit the ball more than twice, but unable to tell. This would also be counted as 2 strokes (one + the penalty).

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Let's say you are below the hole with a steep uphill putt. You miss, the ball goes past the hole and starts rolling back down. You run up and tap it again before it rolls too far past the hole and you hole it. That's 'two strokes' but it's not legal, hence the penalty.

Or to put it another way, your second contact on a double chip is on a moving ball = penalty.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Let's say you are below the hole with a steep uphill putt. You miss, the ball goes past the hole and starts rolling back down. You run up and tap it again before it rolls too far past the hole and you hole it. That's 'two strokes' but it's not legal, hence the penalty.

Well that makes more sense. I can understand applying a penatly on a moving ball. You just cleared up possibly years of confusion and disagreement on my part in one post.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Let's say you are below the hole with a steep uphill putt. You miss, the ball goes past the hole and starts rolling back down. You run up and tap it again before it rolls too far past the hole and you hole it. That's 'two strokes' but it's not legal, hence the penalty. Or to put it another way, your second contact on a double chip is on a moving ball = penalty.

Does that mean as long as the ball is still moving you can continue to hit it and only incur one penalty stroke in addition to your original stroke?

If so, on 20-yd putts, I'm going to kepp tapping the ball until it goes in. That will definitely ensure no more triple putts again.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Well, there's the usual exception to the penalty rules: If you gain an enormous advantage as a result of an infraction, you are disqualified. It would seem appropriate with that perpetual putt trick.

Also, part of the reason you need the penalty stroke for a double-chip is that you haven't met the definition of a stroke twice. A stroke is the swing with intent to hit the ball. You've only intended once, so there's no way to count the stroke twice.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Well, there's the usual exception to the penalty rules: If you gain an enormous advantage as a result of an infraction, you are disqualified. It would seem appropriate with that perpetual putt trick.

In that case, why count the second hit at all? Just say a "double chip" or double hit is a single event and apply a one stroke penalty. The way it is written now, the rules count the second hit along with the penalty.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

The penalty's for hitting a ball in motion- intentional or not.
Ask TC Chen... I'm sure he can quote the rule chapter and verse!

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Does that mean as long as the ball is still moving you can continue to hit it and only incur one penalty stroke in addition to your original stroke?

That falls under a different rule since your original stroke is over and what you are doing is intentional not accidental.

1-2. Exerting Influence on Ball A player or caddie must not take any action to influence the position or the movement of a ball except in accordance with the Rules. *Penalty for Breach of Rule 1-2: Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes. *In the case of a serious breach of Rule 1-2, the Committee may impose a penalty of disqualification. 1-2/5.5 Player Purposely Stops or Deflects Ball; Where Next Stroke Must Be Played From Q. A player's ball lies through the green. After playing a pitch shot up a slope, the player sees his ball start to roll back towards him. He places his club in front of the ball and stops it. The ball would have rolled only a few yards more and remained through the green. What is the ruling? A. Since the player purposely stopped the ball, he is in breach of Rule 1-2. As the breach was not serious, he would lose the hole in match play or incur a two-stroke penalty in stroke play. In stroke play, he must play the ball from the point where he stopped it with his club. If the player had purposely deflected the ball but not stopped it, in match play, he would lose the hole. In stroke play, if a serious breach has not occurred, he would incur a two-stroke penalty and must then play the ball from its new position. In stroke play, if a serious breach has occurred, the player is disqualified.

Rob Tyska

In that case, why count the second hit at all? Just say a "double chip" or double hit is a single event and apply a one stroke penalty. The way it is written now, the rules count the second hit along with the penalty.

It doesn't count the second hit.

"the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all." You count the stroke, which is one, you only swung one time. The ball hit the club twice or more, but you only took one stroke. You count the stroke and add a penalty for hitting the ball more than once during one stroke. You don't count the hit since you can hit it three times if you are very unlucky during one swing, this would count as one stroke and one penalty shot.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I had a bowl of double chip just last night. Delicious!

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I had a bowl of double chip just last night. Delicious!

Don't forget the 1 stroke penalty on your next round. Hope it was worth it!

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

The penalty's for hitting a ball in motion- intentional or not.

And to think it happened at the US Open to boot. While he was in the think of things and had a chance to win. If I am not mistaken Jack ended up winning.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

You T.C. Chen'ed it!!

S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!