IGNORED

Should a test be required before playing public course?

Rafcin
Note: This thread is 3101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a test before you can play golf?

• Yes. Basic rules & etiquette test + ability test (score under 120)
    • basic rules + etiquette test would be nice...
    • Not a test, but a booklet hand-out with the basics should do
    • no way, even if course and our enjoyment suffers...

No, it's true for some European countries and ought to be considered in NA.

I assume they don't do this in Poland, if they did nobody would pass....ZING.....I'm sorry that was mean.

Riley

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing

LOL...that's a joke, right?

No, it's true for some European countries and ought to be considered in NA.

I sort of see where you're coming from, but golf is a (for lack of a better word) "business" here in NA, and a "test" just to play would be bad for business.

I'm sure some courses would be into your idea...higher-end courses that charge a premium, and like to think of golf as it was in the 1930's, when old men wore their pants up to their chest. That's just not how it is anymore...it's a hobby that is available to everyone, and you can even *gasp* play for fun!

Originally Posted by RJH999

I assume they don't do this in Poland, if they did nobody would pass....ZING.....I'm sorry that was mean.

LMAO

• Administrator

Golf participation is on the up in continental Europe, in contrast to NA I gather.

Off topic for this thread.

Not this one though:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I was responding to the suggestion that rules testing may reduce the number of golfers playing.

Great. Please do so in the other thread. It's off topic here.

In fact, I'll just move these posts.

FWIW, I voted "basic rules + etiquette test" in the poll. I stand by that, but really don't care about the rules side - just the etiquette side. No taking divots from the greens. Bunkers aren't for making sand angels. That sort of stuff.

The sort of stuff that almost never happens, though, so I could be persuaded to choose the third option, or the option that doesn't exist: no testing or handouts at all.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would love to see a course turn away a foursomes because they didn't pass a test of any sorts.. Let's just mark this up in the it will never happen column! Now I know why this thread was previously locked, maybe it should have just stayed that way.. Silly stuff! I am all for handing out a booklet, nothing wrong with that really!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Unless someone has an official handicap, a quick 30 min seminar (not a test) on basic "informal" rules (possibly as TGC suggests), fast play - correct tees, and etiquette is an idea worth discussing. I think we exhibit too much testosterone on the course - depressed, angry, territorial people seem to have established a foothold on golf courses - and asking them to have fun and relax is a good idea. Golf is hard - don't take it too seriously.

And as suggested, a coupon for a free drink or a sleeve of balls, might take the sting out of education.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Unless someone has an official handicap, a quick 30 min seminar (not a test) on basic "informal" rules (possibly as TGC suggests), fast play - correct tees, and etiquette is an idea worth discussing. I think we exhibit too much testosterone on the course - depressed, angry, territorial people seem to have established a foothold on golf courses - and asking them to have fun and relax is a good idea. Golf is hard - don't take it too seriously. And as suggested, a coupon for a free drink or a sleeve of balls, might take the sting out of education.

Hell, first 9-holes is free. If it works for crack dealers..... :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

Hell, first 9-holes is free. If it works for crack dealers.....

I like that idea.

I wish more golf courses would do the "Get Golf Ready" program. Of course, the problem with that is that it's really only marketed toward golfers. I doubt too many golfers have told their non-golfing friends to do a GGR class.

Well here in Germany and in german speaking countries you indeed have to make a sort of license (called Platzreife) to play Golf on courses that are members of the German Golf Association (DGV - similar to the USGA). Normally all Golf Clubs are members there. You have to pass a written test about rules and etiquette as well as a playing test with the local pro. All clubs offer packages including lessons etc... And then you must be member in a Golf Club - otherwise they won't let you play. So Golf in Germany is quite expensive - you need about 10.000 $ to start here with Golf - not counting your equipment.

Well here in Germany and in german speaking countries you indeed have to make a sort of license (called Platzreife) to play Golf on courses that are members of the German Golf Association (DGV - similar to the USGA). Normally all Golf Clubs are members there. You have to pass a written test about rules and etiquette as well as a playing test with the local pro. All clubs offer packages including lessons etc... And then you must be member in a Golf Club - otherwise they won't let you play. So Golf in Germany is quite expensive - you need about 10.000 $ to get started here with Golf - not counting your equipment.

Talk about barrier to entry!!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogolf

There should be an elementary Rules test that all players must pass before they're allowed to play on a golf course, like a driver's license.  (Oh, there is, in some European countries!)

LOL...that's a joke, right?

No, it isn't.  Many European countries also require that a player show a minimum level of proficiency before he can step on the course.  They learn the swing and the basics of the game on the practice tee before they ever set foot on the course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

At least you don't have to pay a greenfee when playing on your home course. When you are making your license they teach you the basic swing and you have to be able to play HCP 54 so you can go and play on the course alone without a Pro. Then you get a membership card so you van play on other courses. BTW, in Germany you need almost for everything a license. Even for fishing. Or hunting - takes 3 years and is very expensive. :-(

No, it isn't.  Many European countries also require that a player show a minimum level of proficiency before he can step on the course.  They learn the swing and the basics of the game on the practice tee before they ever set foot on the course.

My home course requires you either have an official active handicap or play 6 holes below a specified score with the club pro to demonstrate proficiency before you can play on the course.

Joe Paradiso

I vote test + etiquette, maybe not a question and answer, but multiple choice, reduce rudeness and keep movin'.

Brian   

My home course requires you either have an official active handicap or play 6 holes below a specified score with the club pro to demonstrate proficiency before you can play on the course.

One of the Marine Corps bases I was stationed at had two courses.  In order to play the better of the two, you had to have an official handicap of 18 or better.

This was back in the day when you couldn't just post scores on-line, but had to record them individually in a book in the pro-shop and turn in the scorecard, so establishing a handicap was a bit more difficult than it is today.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!