IGNORED

GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have and use both. I use the sky caddie SG4 for distance and carry distances. Is works well off the tee and on approach shots. On par 3s i like to use my Callaway/Nikon laser for distance to the pin. I know it sounds dumb to have both but the are strapped to my bag and are just as easy to grab. Seems to work well for me since I get the best of both worlds

I-Mix FT-9 9* 906 F2 3WD  15*

Idea Pro Black 20*  MX-300 4-GW

VR 56* & 60* Wedges  White Ice Tour Sabertooth 34"

Ozone Black Pinstripe  FJ Street 

Both are great. I would use both if I could, because some GPS can give you great maps and distances from above, which helps off the tee. I'm convinced this saves me money, because if I'm at a new course, and I can't see the fairway, I gotta guess where to hit it. Only after a round or two would I be able to successfully maneuver tricky tee shots like that, but with a GPS device, I can hit it right the first time and really enjoy my first round. Laser rangefinders are also awesome. I can aim off of any object and get good readings, but I usually only use it to help me in critical situations, or to confirm the distance markers of the course. The only drawback for me and lasers is if I know the distance to the pin, but I can't see the green well, I might go for a pin distance and not know the safe, fat area of the green to work with. Coupled with a pin-placement of the day sheet, it would be perfect, but I don't always see those at courses.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

I've played with the Skycaddie as well as the Neo+...but recently purchased the Callaway Laser (Nikon). By far the laser is more convenient for me and very simple to use. As others have indicated, shooting the flag or other reflective objects from 250 yards in isn't a big issue. If there's anything vertical near an obstacle or hazard I just shoot that to get a general idea of distance and I have it out of my pocket, distance shot, and back in my pocket in seconds.

For me using the Skycaddie was too cumbersome and the Neo+ yardage was off by as much as 10 yards (while sitting on a 150 yard marker). I just shoot the flag and work my shot from there.

The only inconvenience is when someone asks me what distance they are while I'm in the cart...I shoot it from the cart and tell them how far I am. :)

Originally Posted by cajuntexan00

So I always considered these things as "cheating" and felt that a yardage book and sprinkler heads were the only real way to go.  I then moved to Dallas Texas where it is hotter than the face of the sun.  Played with a friend's GPS the other day and it was so convienient to know the exact yardage and not have to walk it off repeatedly in 104 degree heat!

Questions about these range finders.......

1.  I am tempted to get a Skycaddie because they claim someone has walked the courses and actually marks the longitude and latitude of the greens, traps, etc.  as opposed to the other's that use arial maps to estimate them.  For this feature, skycaddie charges a subscription fee.  Not sure it's worth it.  Anyone know????

2.  How do laser rangefinder's work?  I played with one years ago, but it required that you play a course with reflectors on the flags.  Is this no longer th case?  Do they work to find distances to traps, etc?

thanks.

If you happen to have an iphone or droid there are a lot of free GPS apps out there.  I use one called Swing by Swing
and I put up a review of sorts in the In Search Of: Unbiased GPS reviews thread.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

If you happen to have an iphone or droid there are a lot of free GPS apps out there.  I use one called Swing by Swing

and I put up a review of sorts in the In Search Of: Unbiased GPS reviews thread.

The problem will cell phone golf apps (at least IMHO), is that I may not get the accuracy I need for golf from them.  Regular GPS isn't good enough for golf, GPS+ WAAS is and as of right now, no common cell phone supports WAAS.  What they do use is cell towers and wifi signals to improve the GPS solution.  That data can actually be better than GPS+WAAS or not, it depends on the number of cell towers, tower geometry etc.  At least with dedicated GPS it's very likely the accuracy will be good - with cell phones it can be hit or miss.  Some courses will be good, some other may not be good.  I love all of the features those apps provide and wish the dedicated GPS's had them, but until phones get WAAS, I just can't see relying on them for yardage.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

We can only use laser finders in most of the events I play, so that's what I'm used to. I have two, a Bushnell Yardage Pro TourXL and a Nikon LR800. I like it in that you can aim directly at something and get yourself a yardage. I'd imagine some GPS units or Apps have that capability by now?

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

We can only use laser finders in most of the events I play, so that's what I'm used to. I have two, a Bushnell Yardage Pro TourXL and a Nikon LR800. I like it in that you can aim directly at something and get yourself a yardage. I'd imagine some GPS units or Apps have that capability by now?

I'm surprised tournaments allow either of these things to be used.  Is that common for them to allow laser rangefinders?

• Administrator

I'm surprised tournaments allow either of these things to be used.  Is that common for them to allow laser rangefinders?

Our PGA section events allow them as well. They speed up play and let people play new courses (to them) somewhat comfortably.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Our PGA section events allow them as well. They speed up play and let people play new courses (to them) somewhat comfortably.

Yeap, the only events it can't be used are PGA Tour/Nationwide qualifying events or USGA events (US Open, US Am qual)

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Yes, the Colorado Golf Association allows laser and GPS for all of their championships.  Interestingly, at the higher levels you rarely see a GPS.  Most use lasers because the better you play, the more you need accurate distance information.

I have both laser and GPS.  I used to use a GolfLogix GPS, but the numbers to hazards and bunkers were sometimes so vague that I needed the laser to back it up.  This spring I bought a Garmin Approach G5 GPS, and now I rarely use the laser any more.  The Garmin has the ability to give me distances to any feature on the hole just by touching and dragging the target around the screen.  It even shows most prominent trees.  I've found it to be accurate for my needs without having to fall back on the laser.  It also will keep scores and stats and measure individual shots if I choose to do so.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 1 month later...
Just bought a bushel tour v2. Agree a gps is more convenient, but I like the distance accuracy of the laser. Only played 2 rounds with it, and I can see how it helps you figure out how far you really hit your clubs. Can see this helping out on the scorecard in the future.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

have a new one out that does both! They won't win any prizes for the screen interface, but it does the job as far as I can see (Borrowed one the other day, it worked great) Obviously it doesn't have all the features of a dedicated GPS system, but if all you want is the distance to the hole and various other points on the course, you can't go wrong.

Here it is ~ http://www.bushnellgolf.com/hybrid/laser_gps.cfm

I attempt to get round with:

SL290 Driver, 9*, 43S Shaft

FL Fairway, 15*, 43S Shaft

Burner Superfast 2.0 Hybrid, 18*, Reg. Shaft

CG16 Tour Black Pearl Irons, FST KBS Tour Reg+ Shafts

CG16 Black Pearl 48-8* Wedge

CG15 52-10*, 58-10*, 60-8* Wedges

Method 001 Putter

GPS is convenient as the display is always up with distances to hazards and green.  The problem with GPS is you can't get exact distance to where they placed the flag where as with laser you can.

Joe Paradiso

• 9 months later...

I know this has been beat to death, but I would love a little help.

I generally play to a 16 handicap and I typically play once a week. I generally play around the same courses. I play when I travel, but that is only a few times a year.

So can you guys tell me which you think you would be more beneficial for me to own. I definitely want to make a purchase, but I just can't seem to decide which would be more beneficial to me.

I would imagine that if you play the same courses quite often, you already know about what you need to carry hazards or hit to certain things and what not so a simple GPS might even work for you.

The Neo+ ends up being 100 dollars and gives you front middle back of every green.  I can't speak for its accuracy, though.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I use a GPS app on my phone. If you have an Android phone or iPhone, there are tons of apps out there. Several of them are even free, or at least give you a free version without all the bells and whistles so you can try it out before you buy the full app. Most are $2 to $10. Some require a small annual fee for the better ones.

I think the range finder would be more accurate, but the GPS apps or so much cheaper, and several of them let you track swing by swing yardages, putts, drive distances, etc.

I have decided to go with a GPS unit because I think it has a greater impact on the game for someone of my ability.  Knowing the distance to a lay up distance or the front, middle and back of the green will greatly assist in club selection and course management whereas I am not accurate enough that knowing the exact distance to the pin really helps.

• 2 years later...

I bought Nikon coolshot laser rangefinder because it seems more effective choice for me.

I need:

-distance to carry water hazard

-distances to trees, rocky obstacles, and fairway bunkers

-distance to pin, so I can hit accurate approach to the pin when I need to. (long putts suck, Iacas was correct about this fact for sure)

-exact carry yardages at the range, useful for yardage book

-I hate wearing a watch, I don't do it. All the gps watch devices are too bulky and heavy to use.

-there is probably longer battery life in rangefinder (not sure?)

I think the proof is in the pudding. If rangefinders are banned in tournament golf, obviously rangefinders must be effective at golf.

Note: This thread is 2517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!