IGNORED

GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are 6 pages on this thread, I don't really have any plans on going back and picking out your posts specifically for review. My thoughts and opinions are just that, thoughts and opinions; and they are as valid as anyone elses here. If you have anything additional for me, please feel free to post them in a private message so that this thread remains on topic and doesn't make it to page 8 based solely on an arguement you're having with me.

First you accuse me of misrepresentation based on reading a single post of mine, then you can't even bother to admit you were wrong. You dismiss not reading the thread, then try to make it look like i'm arguing with you? I am simply correcting you, so lets be clear on what went down.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

First you accuse me of misrepresentation based on reading a single post of mine, then you can't even bother to admit you were wrong. You dismiss not reading the thread, then try to make it look like i'm arguing with you? I am simply correcting you, so lets be clear on what went down.

At no time did I state I read a single post of yours, I've read more than enough in this thread to derive they were mostly biased as I had indicated. To your second point, I would admit I was wrong if for some reason I thought I was; I do not believe I am here. Finally, you are continuing to argue with me publicly after I requested you contact me via PM for any additional discussion regarding this topic. You are becoming the troll here, clearly you're looking for a type of discussion that's far from productive; a discussion I'm really not interested in participating in any further.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

At no time did I state I read a single post of yours, I've read more than enough in this thread to derive they were mostly biased as I had indicated. To your second point, I would admit I was wrong if for some reason I thought I was; I do not believe I am here. Finally, you are continuing to argue with me publicly after I requested you contact me via PM for any additional discussion regarding this topic. You are becoming the troll here, clearly you're looking for a type of discussion that's far from productive; a discussion I'm really not interested in participating in any further.

If you are so worried about trolling then why are you so defensive? Just admit you hijacked my thread.

What's In The Bag
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

i just recently used a buddy's finder and found that it was a very useful tool during our round... i don't know if i would want to fork out a couple bills for one though....
Driver: Titleist 983k 9.5 Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel Stiff Flex
Hybrids: 2 & 3 Tour Edge Iron Woods X-Stiff Steel
Irons: 4-PW Tour Edge Progressive Irons X-Stiff Steel
Wedges: Taylor Made Fe2O3 56, Cleveland Tour Action 588 60 Low BouncePutter: Ping G5i UG-LE Ball: Bridgestone...

i just recently used a buddy's finder and found that it was a very useful tool during our round... i don't know if i would want to fork out a couple bills for one though....

What type did he have? Was it a dedicated unit?

What's In The Bag

If you are so worried about trolling then why are you so defensive? Just admit you hijacked my thread.

How about you read your private message instead, this is going nowhere

In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

I just bit the bullet and went and bought a GPS unit called iGolf GPS Caddie

I tossed up between the Pinseeker 1500 and this, and basically it came down to $$$. The GPS Caddie was $399 NZD and the PInseeker 1500 was $849 NZD. I couldn't really justify over 800 bucks, and if I'm really honest, 400 is hard enough to justify as well.

The unit should be very good (I'll post a review once I've used it a few times), and it has the capability to map upto 8 custom points per hole. Which means you can map bunkers/hazards etc for each hole - it could be a par 5 and you want to lay up short of a bunker and need to know how far to it - or you may want to map a fave distance, for me on a par 5 it would be 65 meters. So I just walk up to 65 meters out and click a button and it adds it to the GPS unit.

Another feature is that you can measure how far you hit. Just click on Start point, walk to your ball and click on end point and it will tell you how far you hit it. WICKED..!!!!

Anyway, that's what I bought, will tell you all how I got on with it on Monday.

Rob
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

Has anyone used any of the currently available range finding gadgets like the Bushnell Pinseeker or the Sky Caddie?

They seem like a good investment to me.

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

I have the Bushnell Yardage pro tour. It is more compact than the pinseeker and I really like it. It works well out to about 230 yards. My buddy has the pinseeker and it works from farther away but it is almost twice as heavy, and considerably more bulky, and expensive. In fact, he always borrows mine when he walks and carries.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Has anyone used any of the currently available range finding gadgets like the Bushnell Pinseeker or the Sky Caddie?

I merged this two-thread post into the existing GPS/Range Finder thread, by the way.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok guys, I got to use my new iGolf GPS Caddie at the weekend.

First off I had to subscribe in order to be able to download the courses I play at - they had all the ones I need so the $20 for 50 downloads was fine by me. Once I did that I was all set.

I got to the course about 75 mins prior to my tee time, and as normal I spent some time on our practise range. The unit enabled me to calibrate my GW and SW distances. Just by clicking a button when you are next to your ball, and another click when you get to where your ball finished and you ahve the distance. Fantastic!! I did my wedges and practised my 7 iron and driver and it was time to finish off on the putting green and get ready for my round.

The first hole was perfectly accurate, and my first drive was 232 meters - about 255/260 yards - and the unit told me I had 132 meters to the middle and 149 to the back. Perfect 7 iron distance for me and I hit it on the green (I won't talk about my 3 putts though..!!!)

I used it for the whole round and certainly thought it was worth the money. Instant yardage to the green. Once custom points are entered, you also have instant yardage to those as well. Also lets you know how far you hit it, which I really liked as I'm always wondering how far I actually hit it - my shortest drive was 229 meters and longest 254 meters, so I was well pleased with that (not counting the couple of total mishits). It's very easy to use, easy to get courses onto it, and will definately save me time. I highly recommend getting one of these if you're in the market for a GPS unit, and it was a lot cheaper than the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500.

If any of you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them, just PM me.
In the bag:
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

Ok guys, I got to use my new

There's no way to get pin positions on that, though, right? I'm stuck between the distance to the pin accuracy of a rangefinder with the elements of the GPS that you noted. Not sure what I'll do.

Driver: Sumo 10.5°
3 Wood: T40
2 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 16°
3 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19°
4 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22°Irons: RAC OS 5-PWWedge: CG12 52°Wedge: 56° SWPutter: RossaBall: Titliest NXT Tour

There's no way to get pin positions on that, though, right? I'm stuck between the distance to the pin accuracy of a rangefinder with the elements of the GPS that you noted. Not sure what I'll do.

Not as such. But what I am going to do is ad 4 pin positions as custom points:

ie Front left, back left, back right, front right. That should give me distacnes to all pin positions that they can use as I already have the distance to the centre.
In the bag:

get both if you have the $$. The only reason I didn't get a rangefinder was size/weight, and i use my phone for GPS so I only had to add the reciever which is the size of a matchbox.

What's In The Bag

• 8 months later...
Its also fun to hit cars with it as they go by. Those with radar detectors hit their brakes pretty damn hard thinking there is a cop nearby!

Ahhhh, it's YOU who's driving me bonkers on I-95 every week near Lumberton exit!

• 5 months later...
Any new information on this front?

I just started looking and am looking for advice. I think the GPS units sound really cool, and SkyCaddie seams to be the crowd favorite. I know they have come out with a new version, the SG5. Is there anything about this new version worth talking about?

I also like the idea of a range finder to find the all important distance to the bunker or creek. I have used one before and it seemed difficult to figure out exactly what the range finder was keying in on. I'm sure the new models are better though.

What about products that do both? Is there any such thing?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Any new information on this front?

I carry a range finder and an iGolf GPS. The GPS gives me Front and back of green numbers and the range finder helps to spot the flag or any other object not mapped in the GPS. I'd say they help save a couple of strokes a round.

I got the iGolf for $190 on e-bay and it works fine. SubPar

Note: This thread is 2516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!