IGNORED

swaying instead of rotating!!

mazza78
Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys!! can anyone help me with my problem of swaying instead of rotating!! on the takeaway i always seem too sway back instead of rotating which causes me to sway back on downswing causing me to either fade or slice the ball!! im scared on takeaway of coming inside the line too soon and hooking it!! can anyone help/advise or tell me some drills i can try!!?

thanks

What's In My :: 9" Lightweight Stand Bag

R9 9.5 Degree Stiff Motore 65g
G10 3-Wood v2 Proforce High Launch Stiff
R7 Draw Rescue 3 + 4 Irons i15 green dot, + 1/2 inch- 5-PW 54+60 SM Tour Chrome Studio Style Newport 2 35 inch NXT Tour BallHome Course: http://www.ruffordpark.co.uk

Hi guys!! can anyone help me with my problem of swaying instead of rotating!! on the takeaway i always seem too sway back instead of rotating which causes me to sway back on downswing causing me to either fade or slice the ball!! im scared on takeaway of coming inside the line too soon and hooking it!! can anyone help/advise or tell me some drills i can try!!?

I just think about keeping the weight on the inside of my right foot and turning my hip around it. Helps me anyway!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I imagine "screwing" myself into the ground. It feels like I dip, but in reality my head stays nice and still, laterally and vertically.

Burner 9.5
JPX e500 5-PW
Putter, 3W, 4 iron
Aerolite III

I sway at times, too. A buddy recomended I try the following drill to engrain the feel of rotation vs. swaying.

Drop a golf ball on the grass.

Step down on it with your right foot...ball under the extreme outside edge.

Take a few practice swings....you will not be able to sway, only rotate.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

There were a few hints in this thread of mine: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28517

I struggle with the sway also. One thing I occasionally work on is just standing in front of a mirror and working on a shoulder turn. I do this without a club or anything, just to feel what it is like to rotate and shift weight without moving laterally. It helped me get rid of the worst of my swaying...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

on the backswing i think of keeping, my head above the ball.

on the throughswing i try to lock my left leg. This forces me to turn because i cannot move laterally past my left knee. I also make sure i am fully turned when my swing is over.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been swaying lately and working on not doing so as much. I basically put my weight 60/40 then rotate on the backswing and bump forward instead of having a big sway back then bumping forward. The problem I developed with this is that I am a bit too flat so I need to see what I can do about taht.

« Keith »

swing with your feet together and if you sway you will lose your balance.

hit balls with your feet together

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

This is what I do when I get to swaying, if I find myself swaying during a round I will narrow my stance, seems to always help.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Good advice here. Also, keeping the weight on the inside of your back foot is helpful too.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like you're not rotating your left shoulder underneath in your turn. Remember your tilt. If you have proper tilt in your setup, you want to turn around your spine angle. If your spine angle changes your not turning properly.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. All I know is, I have the same problem, usually late in a round. I notice my left knee starts to make a circular movement throughout my swing. I just concentrate on keeping my left kne rel. still and make a full turn. This usually keeps me straight

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

i had a big problem with swaying and it helped me to make sure my front shoulder got under my chin. The old adage of keeping your head down caused me to look directly at the ball instead of looking down my nose which keep my chin up and out of the way of my shoulders.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

when rotating properly, i feel like the right side of the butt is moving towards the target (i'm right handed)
In the bag:
Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
3-W: Rapture V2 16
Hybrid: 2009 Rescue 19
Irons: S9 (4 iron), i15 (5-PW)Wedge: S9 55*, CG14 60*Putter: ItsyBitsyBalls: ProV1x

Here's a drill to try:

Address the ball as normal but instead of having your legs and feet spread out as normal, put them together so the feet and legs are together. This restricts a lot of movement. The ball should be at a regular distance but in the middle. swing as normal, using your shoulders.

This can help you feel how to rotate your shoulders instead of swaying your hips. Also, keep in mind you don't have to rotate your hips a lot in general. Focus on your shoulders since you want to create as much angle between your shoulders and hips as possible while still getting inside enough to not produce an outside to in swing.

This has been a problem that keeps coming back for me, i dont know why but once a season i will go through a period of about 3 weeks where i cannot strike the ball well at all and it is because i am swaying!! doing my head in

i had a big problem with swaying and it helped me to make sure my front shoulder got under my chin. The old adage of keeping your head down caused me to look directly at the ball instead of looking down my nose which keep my chin up and out of the way of my shoulders.

Good advice: My father inlaw told me recently to play off of my front shoulder, which is exactly what you said, nice. Its keeps your backswing and shoulder turn consistent as well. Some one else (in this thread?) said to keep weight on the inside of your right foot, that seems to feel right too.

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Best tip is record yourself. I had the same problem when i started out, you just need to move your hips, it helps if you tilt your head a little. its hard to explain but hopefully you can do it!
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!