IGNORED

What are your top 3 drivers for a high handicapper?

Note: This thread is 3136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I understand clubs are a personal preference thing... so I won't ask what the best driver out there is. But, I'd like to demo some drivers this week and I have no idea where to begin. I've actually never owned a driver and I've always gotten by with a 3-wood instead.

I'm a high handicapper so I want something forgiving. I'd prefer to hit more shots straight and short rather then long and possibly off the course. I don't want a driver that corrects a bad swing (such as a draw). I typically slice a lot of shots with my 3 wood and I'm sure I'll do the same with a driver... but I'd rather learn to correct my swing then to get the club to do it for me.

With that said, what 3 drivers would you recommend I demo? Price is not an issue and I'm only interested in purchasing new from a local shop (so no 07 drivers that I may not be able to find locally).
Irons Callaway X-22 4-9
Wedges Callaway X-22 PW, GW, SW
3 Hybrid Adam's A4 19*
3 Wood Nike Sumo SQ
Putter Odyssey SabertoothBag Ogio Grom

Nike Sumo - Hit both the square and normal to see what you like more.
Taylormade R9 - Probably one of the best drivers, period. It is pricey though.
Callayway FT-9 - I liked this one more than the R9.
Nike Dymo - Don't know much about this one, but have only heard good things.
Titleist 909 - Ended up getting this as my 3W b/c I liked the driver so much.

These are the ones I was hitting a few weeks ago when I was club shopping, so definitely check out some more.

I ended up going with the regular Nike Sumo. It's about half the price of the others and I had more control on my shots with it, so it won out.
Driver - Sumo 5900 (9.5°) S
3W - 909 F2 (15.5°) X
Hybrid - 4DX Ironwood 3 (20°) S
Irons: 4-PW - Victory Reds Full Cavity S
Wedge - CG14 (56°)Putter - Red X5 35"Ball - e6+Scores with New Bag:95, 83, 86

Head to a golf store with a launch monitor in the LA area and pull a bunch of drivers (i.e. more than 3) and demo them.

As a starting point, I'd say:

1) Ping G10 and G15
2) Adams Speedline and Speedline 9032LS
3) Cobra S9-1M and S9-1F
4) TM R9 460
5) Nike Dymo (Squared and Regular)
6) Cleveland Launcher and XLS Monster

I know that is more than 3, but I think all of those could be possibilities for a high handicapper (a group of which I am a member). When I was looking for a new driver recently, I hit all of those (except the G15 and the Speedline 9032LS).

My final 3 choices (so if you only want 3, these would be the 3 I would personally say to start with) were:

1) G10 (which is the one I bought)
2) Speedline
3) TM R9

Regardless of which one you end up choosing, as a high handicapper, the loft is rather important. You should probably get a loft of at least 10.5* - some people may tell you to go up to 11.5* or higher. I got the G10 with a 10.5* loft.

Also, as you are testing, if they have each of the models with different shafts, try as many different shafts as they have available to try to determine which one is best suited for your swing.

Good luck in choosing, and have fun.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

The best drivers for high handicappers are:
Ping G10/G15
Ping Rapture V2
You might also want to consider the TaylorMade Burner or the Nike Dymo STR8-Fit.
The Callaway FT-iq is also a great driver although it doesn't come in cheap.

I'd recommend the TaylorMade Burner to try out, they're on sale too at some retailers.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I understand clubs are a personal preference thing... so I won't ask what the best driver out there is. But, I'd like to demo some drivers this week and I have no idea where to begin. I've actually never owned a driver and I've always gotten by with a 3-wood instead.

The best drivers for a HIGH handicapper not including box drivers (Sumo, FT-i)

1) Callaway Diablo 2) Cleveland Launcher 3) Ping G10 -G15 I own a Speedline, but with the mid spin rates wouldn't suggest it to a high handicapper

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Squaare technology / high MOI are going to be the best.

I would say that these are my top 3:

FTiQ
Hibore XLS Monster (they have a draw version if you struggle with a slice)
Nike Dymo Square

The R9 isn't a 460cc head, and the R9 460 is a longer shaft, but both clubs with the Flight control technology are nice options, and will allow you to swap the shafts easily as your game grows and your needs from the driver change.

The ping Rapture V2 and G10 are supposedly amazing golf clubs, but I have yet to find one in a lefty to demo so I can not comment.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Taylormade Burner
Adams Speedline
Ping G10 and G15
Nike Dymo Squared.

All of those are very forgiving for a high handicapper.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

The best drivers for a HIGH handicapper not including box drivers (Sumo, FT-i)

Gotta agree with #1, the Diablo is a very forgiving non-square headed driver, and the neutral version doesn't have a closed face to mask your slice. $199 new.

If you truly do slice your 3 wood, then you are going to really slice your driver. Without taking lessons or a ton of time to devote to correct that slice, you really should consider a draw driver until you get a better swing. You could pick up a TM Burner Draw for $100 or less.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I have used Nike Square for a couple of years now, and it is one of the most forgiving driver ever. Nomatter where you hit the ball, it will go straight.

I also recommend Taylor Made Burner, and Callaway FTi,

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

I would recommend you take a look at these three:
1- Cleveland Launcher
2- Adams Speedline
3- Callaway G-15

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

I have used Nike Square for a couple of years now, and it is one of the most forgiving driver ever. Nomatter where you hit the ball, it will go straight.

That is the most unreliable advice ever. NO driver will go straight, no matter where you it. It's impossible.

And I had the Nike Sumo2 Square...trust me, it can slice and hook just like every other driver.

the ping g10 and the rapture v2's do have a hot face... i demo'd both on a range and it was dang near impossible to get a bad shot out of them...

havent hit the g15 so i cant say much about it...

i say just demo a bunch and make your mind up based on the results... i'm not a fan of draw drivers, just fix your swing...

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

Keep in mind also that Mizuno is coming on strong with their drivers in the las couple years. I have an MX560, and it is by far the easiest hitting, straightest driver I've ever hit, and it's way long too. I wish it would have come with some ear plugs though. It is a loud son of a gun. The MX700 is this years release, and I've heard it is nothing short of fantastic in terms of forgiveness and ease of use.

Also Ping's G10 was easy to hit although not as long for me as the mizzy, nor was it quite as forgiving. Still a fine choice.

Tayormade burner. I understand the 09 burner to be no different than the 07, so if you can locate one, you can likely get it dirt cheap, although the 09s are being closed out at several shops already, making them a great buy.

Mizuno MX560 or MX700
Ping G10
T-made Burner

In my Costco stand bag:

Tech A4 9015D 10.5 w/stock stiff Matrix Ozik
F60 16.5 4 wood w/stock stiff Exsar
Pro Gold 18* and 23* hybrids w/ Matrix Ozik reg J36 PC 5-PW Project-X Rifle flighted 5.0 CG14 52*, 56*, and 60* standard bounce Island Series Antigua AD333

If you truly do slice your 3 wood, then you are going to really slice your driver. Without taking lessons or a ton of time to devote to correct that slice, you really should consider a draw driver until you get a better swing. You could pick up a TM Burner Draw for $100 or less.

what website has a tm burner draw for $100?

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Well, here's the nice thing. You're in Hawthorne, which means you have plenty of golf shops around. I realize I sometimes sound like a broken mp3 when I mention Roger Dunn, but I took (possibly unfair) advantage of their return policy when I was starting, going through a quarter dozen drivers and a half dozen 3-woods, buying one, returning it for full store credit (90 days, 100% money in store credit), and repeating until I settled on ones I liked: the Cobra F-series. I still use that 3-wood today.

So, the best ones are probably high-MOI, but you want a "neutral" face - and be sure to say that. Mizuno's MX series, for example, might be good for you, or perhaps a TaylorMade with an adjustable face.

Something else to pay attention to is shaft flex - something every company has. If you're slicing, it might be your swing, and it might be the flex of your shaft - if you are hitting one too stiff for your speed, you'll have trouble squaring the face at impact, and your shots may go right. Unless you're super-athletic coming into this, and have a high speed accordingly, such as from playing baseball at a high-enough level for a while, you probably want R-flex at the beginning.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Callaway diablo
cobra s9-1 or speed drivers
taylormade r7 cgb max/burner

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Note: This thread is 3136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!