IGNORED

How long to break 100/90/80...?

Replay
Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just broke 100 last month and started playing in August/Septemvber? so 5/6 months
hoping to break 90 soon. getting close.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Took me four months to break 100 (68.1, 116 slope) and it took me ten months to break 90 (same course). I've never broken 80.

Constantine

Damn... I ruined the grading curve for EVERYBODY then...

I started playing golf when I was 13 years old... I'm now 31 years old. I've NEVER played more than 15 times in a season (excluding high school) and it took me about 3 years to break 100 in a full 18 hole round, though I'd break 50 consistently when playing in high school for 9. My best EVER 18 hole round has been 91... which happened last season. My goal for THIS season is to break 90 at least once... but, by the looks of it... I'm WAY behind everybody else.

Granted, I don't play or practice nearly as much as I'd LIKE to, but... still.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

• 1 month later...
Just Broke 90 in 7/8 months of playing, broke 100 after 5/6.

WITB:

Took me 3.5 years to break 80.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I hate all you guys. How is everyone that much better than me? It looks like the average time to break 100 is probably around 4-5 months.

I've been playing fairly consistently since mid-last-summer, so actual playing-time (not counting winter) is about 5 months, and I'm not anywhere close to breaking 100! I shot about 115 last weekend.

Maybe I'd better take up Wii Golf...

The stuff in my bag (i.e. The clubs that I haven't tossed in the pond. Yet.):

Driver: G15
Fariway Woods: Fybrid 5
Irons: Big Bertha Fusion 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson 56 and 60Putter: IN Wack-e

I hate all you guys. How is everyone that much better than me? It looks like the average time to break 100 is probably around 4-5 months.

Keep your head up bro just remeber you had to take time off due to summer. alot of us did in it 4-6 months with no break. if you had to take time off due to weather it can be just like having to start all over

WITB:

Damn... I ruined the grading curve for EVERYBODY then...

We're in pretty similar situations. I'm going to be 30 in June, this is my 3rd full year of golfing and I've yet to break 90. I've had some 90 rounds. I broke 100 pretty quickly the first year but that's not to say I did not and still don't venture into the 100s. In my opinion, breaking a number is a great goal but I also think being consistently able to score that number is a bigger feat. I want to break 90 so bad but I don't want to break 90 then hit 105. It would be nice to break 90 then consistently shoot 90 or break it.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

100- my third time out
90-a year into it
80-4 years into it

I got a quick start but then played sparingly for a few years. I had to teach myself, so it took a while to get below 80. I can't get below 70, yet!

Cleveland Hibore XL
Mizuno F60 3 wood
3-PW MP 68
52 & 56 Vokey
Odyssey White Steel 2 Ball

Started playing is sixth grade. Broke 100 in summer of 8th grade two weeks after I started using women's 1,3,4,5 set of PowerBilt woods. (I weighed about 105 lbs.)

Broke 90 about once a season during high school; shot several scores in upper 80s freshman year of college and after. Broke 80 at age 24 and age 27, shooting 77 both times.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Not everyone is better than you. I started around the same time as you, and I'm perfectly happy when I shoot 120. With some recent improvements to my ball striking and putting, though, I'm hoping to be on my way to breaking 110. My goal for the year is double bogey golf, which works out to 108 on a par 72 course.

My beloved Pinke Gin:

G15 woods (1, 3, 5, R flex, Nike VR grips)
VR split cavity (3-PW, DG S300)
VR wedges (54-12, 60-6, DG S400) White Hot Tour #1 putter e6 golf balls

Keep your head up bro just remeber you had to take time off due to summer. alot of us did in it 4-6 months with no break. if you had to take time off due to weather it can be just like having to start all over

Thanks for the encouragement, Mrd19abhs. This has to be the most frustrating sport, and the most gratifying sport at the same time.

Not everyone is better than you. I started around the same time as you, and I'm perfectly happy when I shoot 120. With some recent improvements to my ball striking and putting, though, I'm hoping to be on my way to breaking 110. My goal for the year is double bogey golf, which works out to 108 on a par 72 course.

Thanks, jschen, for putting it in perspective. I need to follow your lead as far as goal-making, I think.

The stuff in my bag (i.e. The clubs that I haven't tossed in the pond. Yet.):

Driver: G15
Fariway Woods: Fybrid 5
Irons: Big Bertha Fusion 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson 56 and 60Putter: IN Wack-e

I was shooting regularly in the 80's and broke 80 by the end of my frist year. Broke par in my 3rd. Ive been hovering around the same skill level since.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Thanks for the encouragement, Mrd19abhs. This has to be the most frustrating sport, and the most gratifying sport at the same time.

You say you have been playing consitantly, but how much do you practice? I've found that in every sport I've ever seriously paticipated in; everyone has a certain level of natural or learned ability that can get them to a certain point, but to advance much past that point you have to incorporate dedicated practice and effort to improve.

2 years ago I picked the game back up after about 15 years off, so I basically started over completely. I played a lot and practiced and I managed to break 100 that first year a couple of times on the easier courses, but never got near 99 on some of the longer and harder courses. Last year I was consistently breaking 100 on the easy courses and even shot an 88, but never managed to get near that glorious mark again. I also managed to break 100 a few times on some of the tougher courses, but my chipping and putting had to be really on those days since most of the holes were taking 3 to 4 shots just to reach the dance floor. I tried to dedicate at least 3 to 6 hours every weekend to ball striking, chipping and putting. This year I've only played the tougher courses so far and only managed to get in a couple practice sessions due to the weather, but I'm optimistic by what I've been able to do. I shot a 104 at the toughest course I regularly play (a personal best at that course) and I've played a couple 9 hole rounds where I've shot in the mid 40's. My goals by the end of this season are to be regularly breaking 100 and even getting into the mid to low 90's occasionally on the tougher courses and breaking 90 a few times on the easier courses. I'm single and willing to practice like a fiend, so I think I can make this happen.

I started golfing seriously for the first time this year, starting in April. I shot a 99 the end of April on a 6000yd wide open course. I've shot an even 90 (double bogey last hole) but not yet broken it this year, every round has its challenges. I really wish I'd have started playing when I was young, taking this on at 33 can be frustrating.

Revisiting now that this thread came up again.

I shot an 89 in November of '09, so call it 7mos to break 90. I haven't really come close to breaking 80 yet, although my low round of 84 came in a round when I had 6 three putts. I hope to break 80 this year, it's just a matter of getting a little better in all facets of the game, day by day.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

2nd season I broke 100, 3rd season broke 90 twice, this is my 4th season and 80 looks a long ways away. Up until this season I played lots of different courses, now I have a membership and wouldn't doubt seeing it go lower as I play more at my home course. My goal this year is to get to a bogie handicap.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I took a golf summer class during first year of college for fun but since then I've only went to the range maybe twice or once a year when I meet someone that plays golf. I usually hit like 5 balls out of a bucket and it usually slices real bad.

Now... 5 years later,
I started golf in february 2010 a lot. Played 4 rounds of golf since february.
last week broke 100 shot my personal best of 96. So about 2 month to break 100. We'll see if I can break 90 in the upcoming weeks. : )

Started playing when I was 17, as a a Senior on the golf team... No one in my family played golf before, and I only played to get the hell out of school for a few days a semester! But I fell in love with this game once I got the hang of it.

Broke 100 - 3 weeks after starting out (In a match)
Broke 90 - the next week (Also in Match) shot an 86

And that 86 I shot stands as my best score to this day (on a non-executive course), granted I haven't played much at all since then, and when I do it is usually at a cheapo executive course. I plan on practicing hard this summer, and since fall semester at uni doesn't look to bad I hope to break 80 by the end of summer and 75 by the end of the year... I've always been long off the tee and with my irons, but chipping and putting is my major downfall. I think I can accomplish these goals... A boy can dream can't he!

Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!