IGNORED

Stack and Tilt

alomar123
Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
What happens if you get out of sorts with the Stack and Tilt and you need a lesson? There's only two legit instructors I've heard of teaching this swing.

That's bunk information, too. The "two" guys you've mentioned have trained several others. I've been working with one of them - Dave Wedzik - and he's opening an entire Academy today, in fact. Going to the grand opening later. Might even join him next year...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

On Friday, I went to the first class that they held. I have been reading some post on other sites about S & T, and it made/makes sense to me.

This whole year i have been having an issue of getting the weight stuck on the back leg on the downswing, and hitting most shots fat. Even though i understand what i'm doing, its another thing to change it. S & T cures this from the get go. Dave and Steve who run the school, have worked with P&B; for many years now and understand this pattern VERY well. I can honestly say that the DVDs do give you great info, but...nothing beats getting first-hand instruction. The problem with the DVDs is that they are not 3 dimensional. What i mean by that is, they really dont do the simplicity of the patten justice. I have watched the vid's many times and there were things that without personal instruction i'm not sure if i would have gotten the complete info. The pattern of S & T is not new but has never been put together in this type format with the refinements and now scientific data. After looking at many pros you can see most of them exhibiting some of the positions and inclinations of the pattern. REVIEW The school was very informative, set up with verbal instruction followed by hands-on WITH video taping for printouts. The student to instructor ratio was fantastic, it felt as if I was the only one working with the instructor. I was given the time to do 'my' version of what I thought S & T was (to show the "before") and then given the parts that would correct my swing to match the model. (much like what i've done with conventional instruction) I walked away SO excited about the day and how it changed my ball flight. It was the best amount of money that i have yet spent on golf. I still have a lot of work to do, but one of the great things about S & T when not done correct is that your swing is self diagnosed. If you see this or any school on S & T, and its something YOUR interested in.... run dont walk to sign up !!!!

• 1 month later...
Can somebody post a sticky with a list of Stack and Tilt instructors in Northern California (Bay Area)?

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Can somebody post a sticky with a list of Stack and Tilt instructors in Northern California (Bay Area)?

Not really a list - contact Paul Gorman in in San Fran area - he is very good! - tell him Dave Wedzik said to contact him:

ggolftours@gmail.com
The stack and tilt method took our Club Champ from a +1 to a 6 in two months. It might work for you but then again it might not.

Stack and Tilt PGA Tour Pros in total: b/w 15 and 20 -- can you name one other instructor that teaches more players? I'm waiting.........Please include all the facts when making a post like this.

What happens if you get out of sorts with the Stack and Tilt and you need a lesson? There's only two legit instructors I've heard of teaching this swing. You have to be your own swing guru and you're armed with only a video featuring the incomparable, Dean Wilson and Charlie Wi. Good luck. Go Bucks!

There are currently about 20 guys teaching the SnT pattern that know it really well (myself included). You can find these guys by asking and if one is not near you I would suggest sending video to myself or one of the others. As to the Dean Wilson, Charlie Wi point....yeah, you're right...why would anyone want to consider learning and doing something that 2 of the best 100 ball strikers in the entire world are doing...that can't possibly be good enough??

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

As a beginner, the simplicity of ST really intrigues me. I posted my driver swing recently and someone commented whether I was doing ST. He was pointing out the fact that my head was rather closer to the ball than usual at the top of the swing. This was result of keeping my head in the center of my stance at address and keeping it still (may be too much) through back swing, which has been my top priority. But I always try to shift my weight to the right leg so I wasn't doing any form of ST.

The other day on the range, I suddenly felt compelled to keep my weight on the left leg on back swing, trying to get the feel of ST. I didn't feel too much different and the ball flight didn't look much different either. I'm sure ST isn't going to be mastered over night by a simple swing thought of keeping the weight on the left. If I want to learn it, I'll need to get more details right.

However, my biggest question/doubt is that I thought the power and lag comes from the weight shift from right to left leg on down swing. If you just keep the weight on the left all along, the momentum of weight shift will be much less. So doesn't it rob you of power, therefore distance at the price of accuracy?

"During our weekly Lamaze class, the instructor emphasized the importance of exercise, hinting strongly that husbands need to get out and start walking with their wives. From the back of the room one expectant father inquired, "Would it be okay if she carries a bag of golf clubs while she walks?"

• Administrator
However, my biggest question/doubt is that I thought the power and lag comes from the weight shift from right to left leg on down swing. If you just keep the weight on the left all along, the momentum of weight shift will be much less. So doesn't it rob you of power, therefore distance at the price of accuracy?

A shorter, two-fold answer:

1) You can't slide anywhere near as fast as you can rotate. 2) That said, you still slide in a Stack and Tilt swing. You still push your weight forward from the top of the downswing - it's just with the lower body instead of the entire body, which is what you do in a more traditional swing. I've gained distance with Stack and Tilt. So have some of the pros who've switched. I hit the ball better, with squarer contact, and my clubhead speed is higher.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I never thought that right to left weight transfer ever had much to do with power or distance or clubhead speed. Maybe a tiny tiny bit, but not completely. I think the ability to time and string all your body movements together during the swing and having the right amount of lag have more to do with distance than simply the idea of moving weight from your right foot to your left foot.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

• 1 year later...

I'm certainly no expert at this, but I think the SnT versus Traditional swing is like the one plane Vs the two plane swing in that there is a lot of "hybrid area" between the SnT and Traditional swings.  In the game of golf you just have to go with what Nature gave you and if it works well and repeats, do it.  In my own case I feel like I'm using more of a traditional swing with the driver and long sticks but as I get to the short clubs I feel like I'm keeping a lot more of my weight on the front foot and pivoting around my left legs going back  (sort of SnT?).  I don't have a clue what either looks like as I don't have any video shots of my swings.  But both my GIR and fairways hit percentages  have gotten a lot better since I gave up on the idea that there was one swing feel for every club in the bag.

Butch

Call SnT what you will, a method, a pattern, a philosophy.  In addition to the former, to me, I think it's also a clearer, more concise explanation of the golf swing. It's easier to pickup/understand. Maybe it's a result of the teachers and/or the holistic approach - video, ball flight laws. It just cleared things up for me more than anything else I've learned from other teachers or read. Hypothetically, if I reverted back to the weight shift to the rear swing (I won't), I'd still benefit from all I learned from reading and using SnT.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

i think the most important thing you can learn from the book/dvds/instructors is the truth about what clubface-to-swing path combinations produce every single shot you make.  i hit the ball, see how it flew, and know what happened.  the dopes on the range have no clue.  knowledge is empowering.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by dietz

On Friday, I went to the first class that they held. I have been reading some post on other sites about S & T, and it made/makes sense to me.

This whole year i have been having an issue of getting the weight stuck on the back leg on the downswing, and hitting most shots fat. Even though i understand what i'm doing, its another thing to change it. S & T cures this from the get go.

Dave and Steve who run the school, have worked with P&B; for many years now and understand this pattern VERY well. I can honestly say that the DVDs do give you great info, but...nothing beats getting first-hand instruction. The problem with the DVDs is that they are not 3 dimensional. What i mean by that is, they really dont do the simplicity of the patten justice. I have watched the vid's many times and there were things that without personal instruction i'm not sure if i would have gotten the complete info.

The pattern of S & T is not new but has never been put together in this type format with the refinements and now scientific data. After looking at many pros you can see most of them exhibiting some of the positions and inclinations of the pattern.

REVIEW

The school was very informative, set up with verbal instruction followed by hands-on WITH video taping for printouts.

The student to instructor ratio was fantastic, it felt as if I was the only one working with the instructor. I was given the time to do 'my' version of what I thought S & T was (to show the "before") and then given the parts that would correct my swing to match the model. (much like what i've done with conventional instruction)

I walked away SO excited about the day and how it changed my ball flight. It was the best amount of money that i have yet spent on golf. I still have a lot of work to do, but one of the great things about S & T when not done correct is that your swing is self diagnosed.

If you see this or any school on S & T, and its something YOUR interested in.... run dont walk to sign up !!!!

I agree 100% with diezt I have been look at the stack and tilt swing myself and there is a lot of things in the S&T; swing that pro's already do.

I think the future swing will be a combonation of the S&T; and the traditional swing. I like the idea of keeping the weight forward to prevent fat shots. Every instructor I have seen myself, in magazines, and in video's that teach the SHORT game "chipping and pitching shots" tell you to keep most of your weight on your front foot.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by anthony

I experimented with the stack and tilt last year. With my 8 - sw it worked great as far as making solid contact. It was a disaster with the driver, woods and mid to long irons. It makes it real tough to sweep the ball off of the tee.

Overall, it was just weird. Although it was a good training swing of sorts. At the time I was having a hell of a time with my irons and the constant weight on my front foot trained me to get on my front foot on the downswing. I wouldn't switch to it full time though.

Anthony you have a high handicap you already slice the driver becasue of a swing issue already. The short irons are the easies to hit. If you are swinging the club correctly and you are using the S&T; swing you will hit your shot correctly. If S&T; did'nt work the pro's on tour that are using it would be slicing the driver and long irons. You also mentioned that it was real hard to sweep the ball of the tee, if you are doing it correctly it wont.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

• Administrator

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Anthony you have a high handicap you already slice the driver becasue of a swing issue already. The short irons are the easies to hit. If you are swinging the club correctly and you are using the S&T; swing you will hit your shot correctly. If S&T; did'nt work the pro's on tour that are using it would be slicing the driver and long irons. You also mentioned that it was real hard to sweep the ball of the tee, if you are doing it correctly it wont.

I appreciate the comments, but I don't know if a guy that made a few posts a year and a half ago is still hanging around... or still has the same problems or understanding. :-)

I noticed other people had made comments today as well so i thoght I wolud throw my 2 cents in also.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

I'd be interested in knowing if, after a year and a half, if the OP stuck with SnT and how his game was coming along.  Maybe he's still around and will reply...?

I'm currently watching the DVD's and interested in learning the swing myself.  It makes total sense to me.  Now I need to perfect it.

I started S&T; late in the summer of last year, hopefully I'll get out and play more and can practice more with it. I've found it to be a lot easier to understand than I thought. I'm planning on rereading and rewatching it all again this year during any business trips.

Still trying to find my swing!

I'm making the switch to S&T.; I just ordered the DVD and book. I had always been intrigued by the commercials, the way they talked about how their method causes your swing to bottom out in front of the ball every time. That's always been my problem. Fat and thin shots, not very consistent. I had also noticed that my best shots were punch shots where I was really shifting forward and leaning the shaft forward. Well, after learning more about S&T;, I realized that is likely the swing for me. I got Foley's DVD first and some things in there immediately helped me, and then started going through some stuff from the official S&T; guys. Once I finally straightened my right leg on the backswing, my contact started improving. I've only really worked on it for one day, but I can tell this is going to be the swing for me.

After seeing my swing on video last year I realized that a huge problem for me (and a big reason I don't hit it far) was that I'd sway my hips to the right on the backswing, then come over the top with my arms on the downswing. Weak slices, as you'd expect. Staying stacked over the ball keeps me from doing the hip sway and keeps me in a powerful position. It also makes it easier to swing from the inside. I have a long way to go, but for the first time, I feel like I know the swing for me, and that I know it will be consistent once I put some more time in. Very excited.

Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!