IGNORED

How High Do You Go for Greens Fees?

ragontona
Note: This thread is 6472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is a huge range of prices for greens fees these days, due to the wide variety (and quality) of golf courses available on a daily-fee basis. Just wondering, is there a limit as to how high you're willing to go to pay green fees at a public course?

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Since I get to play free at the Country Club and my game sucks right now, I won't waste good hard earned cash on a different course. There is one right up the road tho I'd like to play and it's $35.00 after 4 and that includes the cart and a bucket of balls. It is a super fine course.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

Almost all the public courses near me aren't very good - the nearest one always takes 5+ hours to complete a round due to the amount of beginners (I'm not knocking beginners, 'cos we all started once upon a time).

It also costs only $835 a year to play at my course (see link in my sig) and as it's a sand based links the course always plays really really well. It's about a 40 mintue drive, but on company gas so that's no biggie - also has some of the best practise facilities in Auckland which is definately a factor.

We're very lucky in NZ in that we have some great courses at extremely good subscription rates. Muriwai is as I mentioned earlier about 40 minutes outside Auckland and so a ot of people don't play there as they don't want to drive that far. But for those of us who don't mind, well it's well worth it.

Club Champs tomorrow which should be a lot of fun.

Happy Golfing, and remember, fairways and greens..!!!!
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
There is a huge range of prices for greens fees these days, due to the wide variety (and quality) of golf courses available on a daily-fee basis. Just wondering, is there a limit as to how high you're willing to go to pay green fees at a public course?

I play at a country club. My greens fees are $250/month.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Massachusetts golf...

any public course that is considered a nice track... 75-150, dog tracks range 30-45..... private courses here have 40-70 K initiation fee's and usually run 5-7grand a year... so there, that puts your golf in perspective

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I pay about $250 a month for membership at my club, but I do venture out to other courses around the area and quite frequently play at new courses when I go out of town.

I'm the poster child for the price-quality marketing pricing strategy so I typically tend to associate higher greens fees with better courses (however wrong that may be). Usually, I don't like to pay any more than about $60 for a round at a local public course (and that's probably about the top range in my area).

However, when I'm on vacation, I don't mind "treating" myself. I've played Pebble (which obviously isn't cheap but it's a once-in-a-lifetime type thing), Pinehurst, and several other courses that are easily $150+.

To finish off my thought, if you do enough research and pick your spots as to when you play, you can easily get cheaper rates. Perfect example, a buddy and I go down to Pinehurst every January / February and play. We only book our tee times about 4 days in advance since there's always a good weekend when the temps are in the high 50s. One round on #2 and one round on another of the Pinehurst courses, 2 breakfasts, and 2 nights in the Carolina hotel cost us about $400 total, which I really don't think is bad at all.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

I work at a golf course so 90% of my golf is FREE. Its really nice because we can play 5 other courses around the city for free as well as the one where I work. When I pay I will shell out $100 or so to play a good course.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Totally depends, I like to walk so that helps with the fees. Playing tomorrow morning at my home course, to walk it will cost me 28 so that isnt bad. Ive paid upwards of 90 but that is very unusual for me. Usually ill pay about 40 and get to play a real nice course (semi-private, during the week, that is when I have all of my free time).
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

$200 on vacation $40 max other

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

$200-$250 a month for membership.......!!!!!

Wow, we are so lucky in NZ that it is so cheap - $835 a year for a 7 day membersip. $250 works out at about $400 NZ so is half what I pay a year.

Our club is on the West Coast of the North Island of New Zealand, great views from lots of the holes, and fantastic views of the Ocean from the Clubhouse when you're having a beer after your round.

In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

I dropped 65 yesterday and today... I hate Massachusetts

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I dropped 65 yesterday and today... I hate Massachusetts

65's a bargain in Northern Virginia. For the nicer courses, it's 80 minimum. Insane.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

$105 is the highest this year at an alumni outing. Normal outing is $27-40 w/o cart. I may play Whistling Straits next year ($270+55 caddie fee) so I better start saving my pennies now.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

• Administrator
$200-$250 a month for membership.......!!!!!

That's not terribly expensive. My course has hosted several PA State Amateurs, among other things (Trevino, Player, Palmer, etc. back when what became the "Peek'n Peak Classic" was called the "Lake Erie Charity Classic").

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Most of the middle of the road courses around here are $50 more or less. We have a couple of nice resort courses where the fees are closer to $100, but we consider them a treat.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - up in Canada - not bad - can do 18 at a few really nice courses for around 40 bucks walking. There are a couple courses in the 50 dollar range. There are a TON of courses in SK to play when you travel though. More golf courses per capita than any other place in the world. Every small town seems to have one (though some are sand greens.)

Me - I'm cheap right now - I will play those more "expensive" courses - but my favoites are the 17 dollars for 9 holes deals.

Jon

3-PW: PowerBilt Grandslam Cavity - OLD (14 yrs maybe.)
SW: Cleavland Clone 56
5w: PowerBilt Grandslam oversized
Putter : PGA ping style

Note: This thread is 6472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!